• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The problem I have with the release time is that it is viewed as a QB stat. Is it?

If the QB is being forced to hold the ball, isn't that really a knock on the receivers? The OC designs a play, where the length of time for the receivers to come out of their breaks is one thing that varies, and the depth of the drop is set based on the route combinations. And the other routes (secondary) are breaking out somewhat later than the 1st read or two (primaries), so the QB doesn't necessarily control those if the receivers are covered.

On top of that if a QB has a lot of time, why shouldn't he use it? Therefore, wouldn't a long time actually be a good thing?

I think the quick read thing is a descriptive stat that correlated well with some other stat and is now being horribly misused. I don't think it is a predictive stat at all.

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The problem I have with the release time is that it is viewed as a QB stat. Is it?

If the QB is being forced to hold the ball, isn't that really a knock on the receivers? The OC designs a play, where the length of time for the receivers to come out of their breaks is one thing that varies, and the depth of the drop is set based on the route combinations. And the other routes (secondary) are breaking out somewhat later than the 1st read or two (primaries), so the QB doesn't necessarily control those if the receivers are covered.

On top of that if a QB has a lot of time, why shouldn't he use it? Therefore, wouldn't a long time actually be a good thing?

I think the quick read thing is a descriptive stat that correlated well with some other stat and is now being horribly misused. I don't think it is a predictive stat at all.
      It's not a perfect stat. As you say, there are several factors that go into QB release time. However, the three biggest factors are the QB, the scheme, and the OL. On any given play or even in a game it's not close to a complete stat. Over the course of a season it's far better.

The person who sites that stat used it to show that Big Ben was not just sitting back there and asking the OL to block for 4 seconds though. Whether the OL couldn't do that or whether Big Ben couldn't get the ball down the field so the Steelers went to a quicker release is TBD.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

I’m not viewing it as a QB stat. I’m viewing it as part of the reason Villanueva isn’t the answer at LT even as a one year stop gap. If his protection numbers are similar to Tevi’s last year while his QB is getting the ball out faster, for whatever reason you want to pick, then why would anyone think he’s going to play better than Tevi? If you didn’t want Tevi back you certainly shouldn’t want Villanueva here as the starter. Agree with your points as they pertain to the QB position but when looking at LT position the reduced time means less excuses for his poor play.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

It's worth noting that Villanueva has just about the best grade of the available FA LT that are left. Okung is slightly higher, but I am sure he won't come back. Schwartz and Fischer might be higher, but they are both still hurt, and Fischer is likely not going to be available for much of the season. If you want a FA solution, it is pretty much Viallanueva or Massie, and Massie is much worse option than Villanueva.

Again, I don't necessarily think Villanueva is any worse than a lot of other FA OT. The idea must be to fill a hole on paper, and he can do that.

If you are expecting to ACTUALLY FILL the holes on our OL, well I don't think we have filled one yet, although Oday may be a serviceable backup OG.

If we are expecting the rest of the OL to fill the holes on the line, ... well, based on a lot of experience, that probably won't happen either. History says injury prone guys like Linsley and recycled guys like Feiler are probably not going to work out any better than Villaneuva will. Oday has a chance to work, but he has never been a starter before, so it kinda of depends on what the expectations are. But if you follow the history of FA in the NFL, attempts to fill a single spot are poor at best, and rebuilding an entire position group is almost unheard of. This group will probably fail because you have Feiler and Linsley both coming off somewhat disappointing seasons and neither is going to be pushed in camp because of all the money they are being given, and so will be day 1 starters unless they are injured.

The only way that seems to work was in Buffalo a couple of years ago. They brought in 6 or 7 bargain basement FA. They signed one big name guy (Morse, C from KC) and still drafted 1 high draft pick, on top of having several of the existing guys on the roster come back. With all those guys competing, they were able to find a group that was serviceable. But that seems to be the key, make them work their asses off, and that is exactly what doesn't happen when you bring in FA and give them a ton of money, which is why it fails.

Most of the FA signings, particularly OL just don't work. When FA signings work, it is because they come into situations where they know they have to be on the top of their game. When Denver was playing for the SB every single year, Elway had great luck in FA because any FA who came in knew they were gone if they didn't produce, they were gone. BUt most FA come in knowing that they have a least a season before they will be tested. And most just don't work out.

Cook is probably different, because he signed a 1 year deal and has been going from team to team for a while. But again, he is looking like a good signing simply because the price is right, the expectations are kinda low.
          Last edited by Steve; 03-28-2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

That’s by far the most negative I have heard anybody he about Linsley. Linsley himself has pointed out that it’s really only a two year deal unless he continues to produce.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Every year everyone gets all excited about FA. And every year the same thing happens. Teams overpay for guys, throw gobs of money at the problem and every year it doesn't work, with the few exceptions noted above.

The part that worries me is the part saying he was going to make sure he is going to spend some time at the beach. I really don't care if he does or not, but it is just the sense that he is already thinking about everything that comes with being in LA. Was that on his mind when he was in GB, or is there already a lack of focus?

Again, every FA thinks he is going to be different from all the rest and he isn't going to let it happen to him. They all say it. And yet ...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Every year everyone gets all excited about FA. And every year the same thing happens. Teams overpay for guys, throw gobs of money at the problem and every year it doesn't work, with the few exceptions noted above.

The part that worries me is the part saying he was going to make sure he is going to spend some time at the beach. I really don't care if he does or not, but it is just the sense that he is already thinking about everything that comes with being in LA. Was that on his mind when he was in GB, or is there already a lack of focus?

Again, every FA thinks he is going to be different from all the rest and he isn't going to let it happen to him. They all say it. And yet ...
                It worked for Tampa. Its not cost effective, agree. Cap allows a percentage of waste on FA due to rookie structures and lack of UDFA’s leverage but if you sign turds, you’re gonna eat a shit sandwich.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

FA folly continued - it could also be that the teams that sign the most FAs are the ones with the worst drafts. E.g. the worst front offices at talent evaluation are over-signing FAs because they can’t evaluate NFL players much better than they evaluate NCAA players.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Think of it this way, he also chose to come here with the worse traffic, high come rate, gangs everywhere and smog.
                    Personally, I hate LA.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Some are, some are not.
                      Agreed that just statistically, our current 4 FA OLs are unlikely to be an overwhelming A+ success as a starting group.
                      Yet C is possible, maybe even probable.
                      They may share a common bond in actually wanting to be a part of something special.
                      That aside, it's a basic lock that the OL is improved. How much is the question.
                      I expect a couple OL draft picks as well.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Tevi signed a one year contract with the Colts for 2.5 m. At that price, the Bolts should have kept him, he can play either side and that's what you need in a swing tackle. I can only think they are planning on Pipkins holding that job. I wonder if he can do it?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Steve keeping it real, I appreciate the honesty-honestly
                          I think all the combined moved will work a perfect transition plan
                          step 1 solidify OL with vets who can learn a familiar scheme with little to no setbacks. Check
                          more importantly...
                          step 2 do not depend on them for the long term answer
                          thats why we can’t go defense with our premium picks, we’re not finished protecting Herbert

anyone ever turned a pawn into a Queen?
                          you then sacrifice a rook to make sure they get to open space alive?
                          That’s it here.

this is the best strategic move, protect your best new asset and have talent coming up the “pipeline” as Steve calls it.
                          Darrisaw, Wyatt Davis, Spencer Brown 1 2 3
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X