• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Tevi signed a one year contract with the Colts for 2.5 m. At that price, the Bolts should have kept him, he can play either side and that's what you need in a swing tackle. I can only think they are planning on Pipkins holding that job. I wonder if he can do it?
    If Staley would have wanted to keep Tevi, I'm sure he would have told TT...apparently, he didn't want him...

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Staley would have wanted to keep Tevi, I'm sure he would have told TT...apparently, he didn't want him...
      Word on Twitter is we tried to keep him but he went elsewhere. Probably didnt offer him much to be a backup while has has been starting here.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wonder how much say they give a rookie coach at this time of the year? My guess is the GM decides who to keep and the HC doesn't make all the decisions until after the draft.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I’m guessing it’s a dialogue. Ultimately the decision is Telesco’s, but I’m guessing Staley has a voice.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            I’m guessing it’s a dialogue. Ultimately the decision is Telesco’s, but I’m guessing Staley has a voice.
            It wouldn't be wise for Telesco to give Staley a player that Staley REALLY doesn't want or fit the scheme

Yes the ultimate decision is Telesco but he should have a good idea who the coach both REALLY likes and dislikes.

Regarding Tevi - maybe he was offered the same money and Indy is cheaper than Orange County.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I think front office staff, coaches and even players are probably all in denial about how ineffective FA is. Most fans are, yet, all you have to do is pull up last season's FA list on the internet, and look and see how effective they were. Or the year before... or the year before that ...

Teams are also trying to play games. You want to sell tickets who is going to sell more tickets ... signing Sam Tevi or someone new? To LA Charger fans, it is going to be someone new.

If the Chargers were to acknowledge that FA really doesn't work (for the most part), what is that going to do to most fans? It would pretty much prove we have very little hope for the upcoming season. Also, that is not going to sell many tickets.

FA is about giving the fan base and the players hope. So is draft day. But both are arithmetic tests as well, and we still have more holes to fill than we have capital to fill. They need to give the illusion we are still in the mix to compete for a playoff spot in order to maintain the illusion the next offseason, so we can go through the process again .. and again ... until we draft and develop enough good players to actually compete.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                • Jun 2013
                • Palm Springs
                • I know nothing
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                FA is about giving the fan base and the players hope. So is draft day. But both are arithmetic tests as well, and we still have more holes to fill than we have capital to fill. They need to give the illusion we are still in the mix to compete for a playoff spot in order to maintain the illusion the next offseason, so we can go through the process again .. and again ... until we draft and develop enough good players to actually compete.
                Steve, that is so gloomy. Do coaching and player health not also play into it. How much did the fact that Tampa had the most healthy team at the end of the year play into their Super bowl win? Did they rotate players differently to improve health?

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I would rank TB as being part of the must win now or else category. Brady made that pretty clear. And he was their big name FA signings, and QB are the one position that usually works out OK.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

I think front office staff, coaches and even players are probably all in denial about how ineffective FA is. Most fans are, yet, all you have to do is pull up last season's FA list on the internet, and look and see how effective they were. Or the year before... or the year before that ...

Teams are also trying to play games. You want to sell tickets who is going to sell more tickets ... signing Sam Tevi or someone new? To LA Charger fans, it is going to be someone new.

If the Chargers were to acknowledge that FA really doesn't work (for the most part), what is that going to do to most fans? It would pretty much prove we have very little hope for the upcoming season. Also, that is not going to sell many tickets.

Normally I would agree with this assessment, this year with teams dumping players left and right to try and meet the lowering cap I think makes it a unique year. Everyone will be more active in FA this year, maybe not with the big signings but definitely the second tier and after draft cuts as well.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Normally I would agree with this assessment, this year with teams dumping players left and right to try and meet the lowering cap I think makes it a unique year. Everyone will be more active in FA this year, maybe not with the big signings but definitely the second tier and after draft cuts as well.
                      Maybe, but again, big money Fa or not, FA simply has not been a productive way to bring in new players. PLayers tend to come in and under perform, and usually underperform by a lot. History would tell you it simply doesn't fill holes.

There are some exceptions of course, but there are a lot more teams where the players you bring in just are not effective.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Maybe, but again, big money Fa or not, FA simply has not been a productive way to bring in new players. PLayers tend to come in and under perform, and usually underperform by a lot. History would tell you it simply doesn't fill holes.

There are some exceptions of course, but there are a lot more teams where the players you bring in just are not effective.
                        So if not FA, what would you have done with our OL?
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Just saying that this year a lot of the FA signing is forced as teams do not have enough draft picks to fill all the holes in the roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X