• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    looking back to the beginnings of the Chargers, I don't think they ever had a top notch owner.
    agree..... Klein was a cheapskate and he sold the team to another cheapskate..... they say most people hang out with people of like minds.....

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Dean is has failed numerous times.
      You are what you record says you are

Able to get a new stadium done without needing taxpayer help. Failed.
      Fired a 14-2 coach because of egos and inability to figure out a way forward. Failed.
      Holdouts over offset language. Failed.
      Marketing to new city with logo. Fight for LA. Failed.
      Won a Championship. Failed.
      Ability to start from ground up and build a fortune without inheritance from a father who started from nothing and literally was selling Bologna sandwiches and save his loot and invested that capital and continue to pursue the dream. Failed.
      Fire your consultant for a new stadium deal when he recommended doing business a different way. Failed
      ​​​​​​
      I love the Chargers. But I know a loser who inherited success from his dad when I see one. Dean may be a nice man overall....but he is a loser with an ego. I actually like Johnny much better than Dean. He seems like a kid who wants to win and will take a step back and let football people do good work.
      Dean......he has the feel of a schmuck who won the birth lottery.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• SBbound
        Casual fanatic
        • Feb 2019
        • Merced/San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Point 2 is wrong. Spanos shares the blame with the city.
        Disagree, chaincrusher's point 2 is accurate.

You're correct that there is plenty of blame to throw around. Spanos with the council of Fabiani (a disastrous choice) took the wrong and abrasive approach several times. The city screwed up at every opportunity and the fan base took the Chargers for granted. Sad. San Diego lost its pro sports crown jewel. All of these things are true, as die hard fans we can either be pissed off or not.
        To me being upset is a waste of time. Driving and hour and 45 minutes to see my team play in the finest stadium in the world is a small price to pay.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Florio > Babs Streisand.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• boldarblood
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

This issue also did not help from San Diego point of view.

Ron Roberts' claim the county has no money to help with housing homeless is only valid if you also conclude Roberts was trying to con the NFL two years ago.

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
              This issue also did not help from San Diego point of view.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...omeless-needs/
              interesting read. the only thing only on earth more slimy than a sports team owner is a politician.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

Disagree, chaincrusher's point 2 is accurate.

You're correct that there is plenty of blame to throw around. Spanos with the council of Fabiani (a disastrous choice) took the wrong and abrasive approach several times. The city screwed up at every opportunity and the fan base took the Chargers for granted. Sad. San Diego lost its pro sports crown jewel. All of these things are true, as die hard fans we can either be pissed off or not.
                To me being upset is a waste of time. Driving and hour and 45 minutes to see my team play in the finest stadium in the world is a small price to pay.
                Fabiani always wanted LA. I suspect Dean did as well. It was always about the money and they never thought SD could provide luxury revenue like LA and that the money that isn’t shared.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Jerry Jones Son is actually a voice of reason for Jerry since he is soo shitty as a GM/Owner lol.

I do hope Dean sells by 2024. I just hope if Staley is doing well as the HC they new owners keep him. Tlesco, who knows. If we get a owner like Bezos for example, he has ZERO football chops so maybe he leaves it alone.
                  Good thing about Bezos is he'll delegate to the best "football experts" he can find. His money, ego, legacy is not tied in. The Chargers to him is like the rich dad being the sponsor for the local kids softball team. A kid hits a double and Bezos yells yeah Touchdown!!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    Dean is has failed numerous times.
                    You are what you record says you are

Able to get a new stadium done without needing taxpayer help. Failed.
                    Fired a 14-2 coach because of egos and inability to figure out a way forward. Failed.
                    Holdouts over offset language. Failed.
                    Marketing to new city with logo. Fight for LA. Failed.
                    Won a Championship. Failed.
                    Ability to start from ground up and build a fortune without inheritance from a father who started from nothing and literally was selling Bologna sandwiches and save his loot and invested that capital and continue to pursue the dream. Failed.
                    Fire your consultant for a new stadium deal when he recommended doing business a different way. Failed
                    ​​​​​​
                    I love the Chargers. But I know a loser who inherited success from his dad when I see one. Dean may be a nice man overall....but he is a loser with an ego. I actually like Johnny much better than Dean. He seems like a kid who wants to win and will take a step back and let football people do good work.
                    Dean......he has the feel of a schmuck who won the birth lottery.
                    Nailed it!

All of it. I forgot about the logo when he first moved the team - what a joke that was. And yes, Dean does seem like a schmuck - I use the term obtuse. He just seems like he has a"befuddled" look on his face

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

There’s a lot of good people in Stockton.
                      Im sure there are but its still a shithole.I try to not even drive thru it anymore lol.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        looking back to the beginnings of the Chargers, I don't think they ever had a top notch owner.
                        They did win a championship with Hilton, who brought the team to SD, hired Sid Gilman and assembled a team loaded with top notch players

Comment

• perryao
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I know the city of San Diego was a major pain in the keister to deal with,. Incompetence at every turn - Falconer, et al
                          But that doesn't mean that Spanos didn't have options
                          He chose to have the site downtown when Mission Valley would have sufficed.
                          He could have hired somebody more capable than Mark "Fabby Baby" Fabiani.
                          I still think he didn't have the business savvy to get a deal done. The NFL was offering money, loans, the city, the county - I am just not sure he had a vision to get a deal done that say Jerry Jones would have had.
                          What many people don't know is that as Deputy Mayor of Los Angeles he was tasked with keeping the Raiders from moving back to Oakland. According to MF, he, at the end of negotiations, had a deal with Davis to do just that. Davis reneged and moved back to Oakland. How do I know this? I spoke to Fabiani personally and he told me the story. Fabiani knew exactly what he needed to do to help keep the Chargers in SD. He didn't do it. Fabiani, and Spanos, got exactly what they wanted and had gone through the NFL required motions to get there.

Comment

Working...
                          X