• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
    This is way too low a bar. haha.

This severely simplifies what actually happened.

I disagree with most of this. "The team now plays in a better stadium in a larger market" is about the only thing I agree with. But the same could be said about virtually every team in the NFL.

There certainly is something to see here. What affect it will eventually have is unknown and very entertaining, but still "some to see". haha. Go Dea!
    I know the city of San Diego was a major pain in the keister to deal with,. Incompetence at every turn - Falconer, et al
    But that doesn't mean that Spanos didn't have options
    He chose to have the site downtown when Mission Valley would have sufficed.
    He could have hired somebody more capable than Mark "Fabby Baby" Fabiani.
    I still think he didn't have the business savvy to get a deal done. The NFL was offering money, loans, the city, the county - I am just not sure he had a vision to get a deal done that say Jerry Jones would have had.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      All this talk about Dean being a "decent" owner (paraphrasing some of the comments) is sort of comical to an old-timer like myself. For YEARS the boards that I've posted on have wanted the team to be sold. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And the fact that he pulled the team out of my beloved San Diego...well, that makes him the worst owner in my book. Sure, a case for Dan Snyder, for one, could be made for the title of "Worst NFL Team Owner" but, really, does that matter? He/his family have had 40 years to bring a championship to the Chargers and they've failed. 40 years of frustration; many poor coaching hires; bad personnel/contract decisions - the list goes on and on. If I had a nickel for every post made calling for the Spanos' heads, I could buy the team myself and move them back to where they belong: in San Diego.
      Art Modell won a super bowl within a few years of moving to Baltimore but in Cleveland they're pissing on his grave. When you move a franchise that has deep roots in a community that's your legacy.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I know the city of San Diego was a major pain in the keister to deal with,. Incompetence at every turn - Falconer, et al
        But that doesn't mean that Spanos didn't have options
        He chose to have the site downtown when Mission Valley would have sufficed.
        He could have hired somebody more capable than Mark "Fabby Baby" Fabiani.
        I still think he didn't have the business savvy to get a deal done. The NFL was offering money, loans, the city, the county - I am just not sure he had a vision to get a deal done that say Jerry Jones would have had.
        Fabiani was on the record as far back as 2011 saying that SD didn't have the corporate presence or populace to support luxury boxes which is the pot of unshared gold every NFL owner chases. He was always focused on LA.

Comment

• Silversurfer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Los Angeles
          • Send PM

I expect them to sell the team way before 2024, hell its probably already in the works with Bezos.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Fabiani was on the record as far back as 2011 saying that SD didn't have the corporate presence or populace to support luxury boxes which is the pot of unshared gold every NFL owner chases. He was always focused on LA.
            And yet, in the Chargers front office at the time was one of most respected, well-connected individuals working for the team with a history of the inner workings of the NFL and not being a, whats the term, crisis consultant for Mariah Carey. I am talking about Jim Steeg of course. So yes, either Dean is dumber than a box of hair with zero business acumen to hire Fabiani over Steeg or he was always going for LA.

And the fact that the city probably would have supported Mission Valley - about $400m less by all accounts than Downtown. And by the way, except for the over head shots of beautiful San Diego, Mission Valley was much better for football. Big parking lot to tailgate, plenty of parking, easy to get too from all areas.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
              I expect them to sell the team way before 2024, hell its probably already in the works with Bezos.
              The 2024 is a little misleading since it’s when Dea is supposed to sell her share of the team. That’s the point of the letter.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

People are excited by Bezos? With the way he treats his people that work for him? He wouldn’t pay them at all if he could get away with it.

I’d prefer the Drew Brees group myself.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Los Angeles
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The 2024 is a little misleading since it’s when Dea is supposed to sell her share of the team. That’s the point of the letter.
                  I just dont see how they can keep borrowing money. They have to start paying the relocation fee of 65mil a year along with being in debt 350mil. Not paying any charities is a big red flag for the NFL, at what point do they step in and force a sale.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post

Where will Spanos get the money to buy her out? From the bank he borrowed from to pay other debts? From the same place that loaned him $650M plus $200M in stadium building money (read the NFL)? I don't know if there is a lender that will touch that and minor league Spanos doesn't have major league dollars to pony up. He's in a tight spot. We'll see how it plays out. The dude she hired to fight this battle wouldn't take this fight if he didn't feel he had a chance to win, imo. We'll see.
                    It should be pointed out once again the the $650 million is spread over 30 years and not due all at once. The next question is if he’s making those annual payments each year and still staying in the green.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

I just dont see how they can keep borrowing money. They have to start paying the relocation fee of 65mil a year along with being in debt 350mil. Not paying any charities is a big red flag for the NFL, at what point do they step in and force a sale.
                      I mean the NFL rarely gets involved. If the breakdown by Popper is correct then this is a big bag of nothing. And the not paying any charities ( as well as borrowing money) is coming from Dea’s side so we have no idea if it’s true or not.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It should be pointed out once again the the $650 million is spread over 30 years and not due all at once. The next question is if he’s making those annual payments each year and still staying in the green.
                        I thought it was actually 10 years.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I thought it was actually 10 years.
                          Waiver.
                          Additionally, some of the cost is offset by money collected from the Raiders’ relocation to Vegas.
                          https://www.google.com/amp/s/charger...ation-fee/amp/
                          Last edited by Xenos; 04-02-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X