• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Guess it shouldn’t matter, but ninety percent of his highlights films shows him playing right tackle. He only played 11 total downs as a left tackle. Not sure it can even be said that a tackle does better on one side rather than the other. We shall certainly see.
    Not 11 total downs. 11 total games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Slater is one of those guys who has it all together. What minor things he may lack in his measurables he more than makes up for with his commitment to technique and strength. He is a naturally superior athlete, and he knows how to use it to play at the top of his game. I have a feeling he is going to be fixture on this team for a long time and be an anchor on the OL. Great pick.
      Riddick loved the pick
      He thought he would be an All-Pro - not pro bowler - but AllPro in a 2-3 years. Thinks he was a great fit
      Jeremiah - thought it was a slam dunk fit
      Warren sharp - same

Forgot who tweeted it but somebody said: the Jets are helping Wilson with AVT; the Chargers helped Herbert with Slater and the Bengals, they took Chase for Burrows. Even the Lions - they get it - well they want to run the ball. Starts up front.

Mitchell Schwartz was pretty sold on the pick too -- he said this really helps the Chargers which means it doesn't help the Chiefs.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Not 11 total downs. 11 total games.
        Ok. But the highlight reel I saw showed about 5 total shots of him at left tackle out of about 30 plays. I guess the keyword versatility comes into play here.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post
          The single most important trait in a player at any position, but especially left tackle, is the length of his right arm. The second most important trait is the length of his left arm. After that, you can worry about stuff like vertical jump and the three-cone drill, eventually followed by whether he can pass block.

Slater can make a bunch of Pro Bowls based on his blocking ability, but he'll never have 34.5 inch arms, which is what really matters.

Wasted pick, IMO.
          Absolutely false. Quickness out of stance, balance and good footwork are infinitely more important than arm length. If arm length was a single most important factor DJ fluker would be an All-Pro tackle.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Guess it shouldn’t matter, but ninety percent of his highlights films shows him playing right tackle. He only played 11 total downs as a left tackle. Not sure it can even be said that a tackle does better on one side rather than the other. We shall certainly see.
            11 total Downs? He played right tackle his first two years at Northwestern and then played left tackle his junior year at Northwestern. I guess you're right if they only play 11 downs in an entire season.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Ok. But the highlight reel I saw showed about 5 total shots of him at left tackle out of about 30 plays. I guess the keyword versatility comes into play here.
              Then stop looking at a highlight reel and go watch his 2019 tape instead.

It’s not that complicated.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

At least he doesn't have narrow shoulders.
                Haha! Hester...what a wasted pick.
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Absolutely false. Quickness out of stance, balance and good footwork are infinitely more important than arm length. If arm length was a single most important factor DJ fluker would be an All-Pro tackle.
                  A prime 7-1 330lbs Shaquille was THE most physically dominate player of all time (no disrespect to Wilt).

A 6-8 220 Dennis Rodman played the best defense against Shaq ever. Balance, leverage, athleticism, and technique.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Slater is one of those guys who has it all together. What minor things he may lack in his measurables he more than makes up for with his commitment to technique and strength. He is a naturally superior athlete, and he knows how to use it to play at the top of his game. I have a feeling he is going to be fixture on this team for a long time and be an anchor on the OL. Great pick.
                    He’s the OT version of Herbert. Football smart, hard worker, good technique.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                      Today Philip Rivers is probably thinking to himself, gosh darn it, why didn't they ever get me a line like this?

Three words... rookie qb contract :biggrin:

Comment

• perryao
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        Welp... I was worried about Slater's arm length. Let's se if he can pull it off. He'll be the shortest armed LT in the NFL. He does have great feet, great technique, great hands, and does a very nice job at the 2nd level. I hope they got it right and arm length won't be a liability. Glad they addressed the LT position. Hopefully he's a true LT and beats the odds. Technique wise, he's a finished product.
                        If Slater fails, it won't be because of arm length, imo. There have been absolute studs that have been perennial Pro Bowl/All Pros that have "short" arms. I actually checked a few of the top LT's in the game right now and you need look no further than Jason Peters who measures out at 33 1/8 as an example of an LT stud with "short" arms. haha. I checked a few others and was surprised to find that Joe Thomas' (a certain HOFer when eligible in 2023) arms, one of the best LT's in history, are 32 1/2".

While researching this, I read somewhere that the average arm length of an NFL LT is 34 1/2".

Time will tell but I love the pick.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He's the OT version of Herbert. Football smart, hard worker, good technique.
                          They both have their own style, that translates to elite. Both extremely clean, just need reps and will only get better, together.

Comment

Working...
                          X