X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

Leatherwood has measurables for T and started at Alabama. I think they got it right, as Slater is more a G and Leatherwood a clear LT.
    Whether Slater is an OG or OT is a fair question to at least raise based upon measurables, but regardless of which position he plays, he is just a better football player than Leatherwood, so the grades being equal from one source does not make sense.

If Slater plays effectively at LT, then the pick is an A. It is as simple as that. Telesco, and honestly, more importantly, Staley seem to have concluded that he is a LT. I can put some faith in that view. I had some concerns about his size and arm length, but maybe his athleticism and technique will overcome those issues. With at least some degree of uncertainty, I think that warrants knocking the grade down to an A-.

In no universe would Slater have been available at #47 when we next picked.

The issue with the Leatherwood pick is that Leatherwood was likely to be on the board still at #48 when the Raiders picked in the second round. That makes the pick way below average. That is why some gave the pick an F. I think a C- or D grade is appropriate for the pick as a huge reach, but one seeking to address a position of need for the Raiders.

Finally, as you have seen, some also view Leatherwood as an OG only based upon having slow feet and other limitations. Sometimes a player can have the physical size of an OT, but need to kick inside--even if the player started for Alabama (see Fluker, D.J.).

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
      If Slater fails, it won't be because of arm length, imo. There have been absolute studs that have been perennial Pro Bowl/All Pros that have "short" arms. I actually checked a few of the top LT's in the game right now and you need look no further than Jason Peters who measures out at 33 1/8 as an example of an LT stud with "short" arms. haha. I checked a few others and was surprised to find that Joe Thomas' (a certain HOFer when eligible in 2023) arms, one of the best LT's in history, are 32 1/2".

While researching this, I read somewhere that the average arm length of an NFL LT is 34 1/2".

Time will tell but I love the pick.
      There’s always exceptions to the rule because arm length isn’t the most important part of being LT. And hopefully Slater is able to use the other features to overcome his length issue. I feel optimistic though.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Whether Slater is an OG or OT is a fair question to at least raise based upon measurables, but regardless of which position he plays, he is just a better football player than Leatherwood, so the grades being equal from one source does not make sense.

If Slater plays effectively at LT, then the pick is an A. It is as simple as that. Telesco, and honestly, more importantly, Staley seem to have concluded that he is a LT. I can put some faith in that view. I had some concerns about his size and arm length, but maybe his athleticism and technique will overcome those issues. With at least some degree of uncertainty, I think that warrants knocking the grade down to an A-.

The issue with the Leatherwood pick is that Leatherwood was likely to be on the board still at #48 when the Raiders picked in the second round. That makes the pick way below average. That is why some gave the pick an F. I think a C- or D grade is appropriate for the pick as a huge reach, but one seeking to address a position of need for the Raiders.

Finally, as you have seen, some also view Leatherwood as an OG only based upon having slow feet and other limitations. Sometimes a player can have the physical size of an OT, but need to kick inside--even if the player started for Alabama (see Fluker, D.J.).
        precisely.

I have also been (infamously) skeptical of Slater as an OT prospect especially when i consider how i believe the position to be evolving.
        wts Slater has all the characteristics needed to thrive at LT for a less than ideal somatotype
        love the kid as a prospect but i think Darisaw will end up the better LT
        time will tell, but today is a day for optimism (there will be plenty of time later for "I told you so's" and hopefully they're directed at me!)
        i will say that the kid looks genuinely humble and hardworking and i have zero doubt that we'll get HIS best effort.
        thats all i ask for any kid given the opportunity, quite literally.
        TIME TO BOLTTHEPHUCCUP!!!!
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Make it real simple, Slater is our starting LT for now on until someone else can convince our coach that he's a better option.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Apr 29, 2021
            Replying to @PGutierrezESPN
            Says he and #Raiders have not yet discussed his exact position. Again, began college career as a right guard, moved to left tackle as a sophomore, where he played 1,554 snaps the last two seasons.

@PGutierrezESPN
            Per @ESPNStatsInfo, #Raiders first-rounder Leatherwood had an uptick in pressures allowed (7 to 14) and pressures allowed that resulted in sacks (0 to 5) from 2019 to 2020, He was also called for 17 penalties over the last 2 seasons, tied for 2nd-most among FBS OL in that span.

So the Raiders don't know what position Leatherwood is playing?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Absolutely false. Quickness out of stance, balance and good footwork are infinitely more important than arm length. If arm length was a single most important factor DJ fluker would be an All-Pro tackle.
              As soon as you get two hands on a guy and pull him in towards you, you negate arm length. Slater continually gets first contact and pulling the defender into him is one of his tricks. Don’t underestimate his smarts and game plan against defenders.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Slater also had a year of professional training after college. His strength is up, his technique is up, his knowledge is up, his health is up. This man is ready to go on day one on a more advanced level than a typical rookie has.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

“Justin Herbert, I got your back.”

I love it and I believe it.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

“My dad is amazing,” Rashawn said last month at Northwestern’s pro day. “Throughout my life, he’s always been that athletic influence. He played center at 6-6. He was definitely a grinder and taught me everything I know about his work ethic and being able to battle through adversity and stuff like that.”

Former Timberwolves big man Reggie Slater used to work tirelessly with his two oldest sons, teaching them the finer points of basketball. He conducted all sorts of drills, including being able to s…

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

TT got the faller S who was BPA, the faller OLT who was BPA and the faller QB who was BPA. Yes he does well when he drafts the faller BPAs. So he takes the guys that are obvious, but when they are not there, he is below average IMO.
                      After pick #1, everyone is a faller. Anything else is just opinion.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

For a tackle overcoming length is about twitchy hands and accurate hand placement. You need to know where to put your hands in various situtions to negate length and then execute it over and over and over. Strike the outside bicep here, left pec there.

Slater is an excellent technician and he's going to have to continue to be. The CV program saying he has top 10% win rate for hand fights is big. That continues and he can make it outside.

But he still looks small for a tackle to me. Like, Nick Hardwick size. Hardwick is one of my favorite Chargers, but he's also not a tackle.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                          He seems to be getting some grief for not being a body builder/power lifter. The game has changed to a pass heavy game. He doesn't have to maul people. He has to keep people off of Herbert. Ali wasn't a one punch knockout fighter, but if you eat 10 or 20 jabs in the teeth you stop wanting to come forward.
                          Huh? 3 reps 495lb front squat is more than the majority of NFL OTs can manage. Slater has a very strong base. What is more remarkable is how quick & agile he is with that body.

Comment

Working...
                          X