Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Shields was the RT and Washington the LT on those Coryell teams.

Mount Washington was injured and out in the 1981 AFC championship game& Ted Hendricks obliterated his replacement.
    They didn't move Shields over to the LT position (it might have been Chuck Loewen).
    I remember it just the opposite. Washington was RT, Shields LT. I looked it up on Pro Football Reference and confirmed it. Shields was the starting LT from '76-'83. Washington was the starting RT from '70-'82. I don't remember Washington ever playing LT, and PFR has no record of it. Washington was a hell of a good tackle, but he was on the right side.

Checkout the latest stats for Russ Washington. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Checkout the latest stats for Billy Shields. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

How is Slater looking in the intense shorts and sneakers walk thrus? Looking smooth?

Saved By The Bell Happy Dance GIF by PeacockTV
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I remember it just the opposite. Washington was RT, Shields LT. I looked it up on Pro Football Reference and confirmed it. Shields was the starting LT from '76-'83. Washington was the starting RT from '70-'82. I don't remember Washington ever playing LT, and PFR has no record of it. Washington was a hell of a good tackle, but he was on the right side.

Checkout the latest stats for Russ Washington. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/ShieBi20.htm
        I went back and watched the 1979 playoff game against Houston (painful).

You are right, Shields was LT and Washington was RT. I never realized that or forgot it.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

You are right, Shields was LT and Washington was RT. I never realized that or forgot it.
          I am sorry you had to go through that, watching that game. It was the very first Chargers game I ever attended and it still hurts today. Russ Washington may be the best OL in Chargers history and I think it's natural to assume he played the most important position on the OL. If Washington is the best Chargers OL ever, the second best is Ron Mix, who was also a RT, holding down that spot from the franchise's inception until Washington took over. I honestly don't know why Washington didn't play LT, he was clearly the best OL the Chargers had in the Coryell years. Maybe LT wasn't as important then, because teams passed less. Did you know that Washington started his pro career as a DT? He switched to OT in 1970. Kris Dielman also switched from DL to OL when he joined the Chargers. He was DL in college. Interesting that a couple of the best OL in franchise history were DL converts.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

That was my first season as a Chargers fan.... painful!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I am sorry you had to go through that, watching that game. It was the very first Chargers game I ever attended and it still hurts today. Russ Washington may be the best OL in Chargers history and I think it's natural to assume he played the most important position on the OL. If Washington is the best Chargers OL ever, the second best is Ron Mix, who was also a RT, holding down that spot from the franchise's inception until Washington took over. I honestly don't know why Washington didn't play LT, he was clearly the best OL the Chargers had in the Coryell years. Maybe LT wasn't as important then, because teams passed less. Did you know that Washington started his pro career as a DT? He switched to OT in 1970. Kris Dielman also switched from DL to OL when he joined the Chargers. He was DL in college. Interesting that a couple of the best OL in franchise history were DL converts.
              Dielman bounced back and forth between O and D in college. He played TE and LB in HS, then was recruited to play LB for Indiana, but played TE before switching to DL (and goalline TE) for Indiana.

The Kris Dielman Story. The Pro Bowl Left Guard was ignored in high school and college before finally finding the right position for him.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

RT, as I recall.

Shields - White - Macek - Wilkerson - Washington
                Like I said...

BTW... Ed White was also a defensive lineman-- a Nose Guard-- at Cal, and converted to OG by the Minnesota Vikings, who drafted him in the 2nd round in '69.
                Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 06-17-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Like I said...

BTW... Ed White was also a defensive lineman-- a Nose Guard-- at Cal, and converted to OG by the Minnesota Vikings, who drafted him in the 2nd round in '79.
                  '69...he came to the Chargers in '78. White could not play OL in today's NFL, he was only 6-1, 270. That was before 300 lb OL/DL was normal. Back then, the "fat" guys up front were all under 300 lbs. Ron Mix was only about 250 I think. The entire starting '79 OL was under 300 lbs. Washington was the heaviest at 289. Today he would be the lightest OL on the team. Linsley is currently the lightest OL at 296. Matt Feiler is 330 lbs. Bulaga is 314. St. Louis 323.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I spent the night outside the stadium the night before that game in line to buy tickets for the AFCC, which would have gone on sale after the win. We were 3rd in line, it grew to several hundred by the morning before kickoff.

it was a fun party, but … yeah.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I spent the night outside the stadium the night before that game in line to buy tickets for the AFCC, which would have gone on sale after the win. We were 3rd in line, it grew to several hundred by the morning before kickoff.

it was a fun party, but … yeah.
                      We're talking about events that happened more than 40 years ago, so my memory may not be absolutely correct. But my memory is that after Fouts and the crew beat the Broncos at the Murph on MNF in the last game of the season to win the division and the franchise's first NFL playoff berth, tickets for the playoff game vs the Oilers went on sale the next morning, and I stood in line to buy tix. I bought extra and sold them for a profit through the San Diego Reader. I took a hot chicka I had been trying to get a date with for awhile to the playoff game. I was expecting a Chargers win and a little post-game romance. But neither happened. The hot chicka just wanted to go to the game, she wasn't really interested in me. It was a disappointing day all around.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

'69...he came to the Chargers in '78. White could not play OL in today's NFL, he was only 6-1, 270. That was before 300 lb OL/DL was normal. Back then, the "fat" guys up front were all under 300 lbs. Ron Mix was only about 250 I think. The entire starting '79 OL was under 300 lbs. Washington was the heaviest at 289. Today he would be the lightest OL on the team. Linsley is currently the lightest OL at 296. Matt Feiler is 330 lbs. Bulaga is 314. St. Louis 323.
                        Yes, '69-- My bad. Typo.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

We're talking about events that happened more than 40 years ago, so my memory may not be absolutely correct. But my memory is that after Fouts and the crew beat the Broncos at the Murph on MNF in the last game of the season to win the division and the franchise's first NFL playoff berth, tickets for the playoff game vs the Oilers went on sale the next morning, and I stood in line to buy tix. I bought extra and sold them for a profit through the San Diego Reader. I took a hot chicka I had been trying to get a date with for awhile to the playoff game. I was expecting a Chargers win and a little post-game romance. But neither happened. The hot chicka just wanted to go to the game, she wasn't really interested in me. It was a disappointing day all around.
                          In both cases, playing the game is better than sitting on the sidelines.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X