Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    I was a big Slater fan, and he still has exceeded my expectations....I thought he would struggle out the gate, as any rookie should at that position...Its only natural, and I was fine with that. What a pleasant surprise...Asante too...a little more work needed there, but considering what we are asking of a second round rookie, he is doing just fine. Those two picks alone make 2021 a successful draft.
    I didn't know anything about him until draft time started to roll around and I was reading his name as a possible Chargers draft choice - the next best thing if the Chargers couldn't get Sewell. I looked at his measurables and I questioned whether he could play LT in a post here before the draft. On paper, he didn't look any different that Forrest Lamp, who also was a good college LT. Slater isn't large nor are his arms particularly long. But posters here who knew Slater said that despite his lack of ideal measurables, he was a special player who is capable of playing LT at a high level in the NFL. They were right. Before the draft, I read up on him and learned how devoted he is to learning his craft and that he was more technically polished than just about any LT to ever come out of college. All that was said of him has turned out to be true, or even better. Now I'm glad Sewell didn't fall to the Chargers (just like I am uber thankful Tua didn't fall to the Chargers last season), Slater is the best LT in this draft, maybe a generational player like Herbert.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

9th rated offensive line according to PFF.

9. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (UP 1)

Best-graded: C Corey Linsley | 86.1

Worst-graded: T Storm Norton | 50.5

The Chargers having a good offensive line seems almost antithetical to what we know about the team, but it proves that one can overhaul a bad unit with enough determination. Matt Feiler is having a career year as a modest free-agent acquisition to play one guard spot, while Corey Linsley and Rashawn Slater — the two higher profile additions — are both backing up their investment. If offensive linemen won such awards, then Slater would be the Offensive Rookie of the Year through nine weeks. He has allowed just 12 total pressures in eight games despite having to block Myles Garrettin one of them.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Man if we lock up the RT position this offseason we have a legitimate real o line......wow.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
          9th rated offensive line according to PFF.

9. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (UP 1)

Best-graded: C Corey Linsley | 86.1

Worst-graded: T Storm Norton | 50.5

The Chargers having a good offensive line seems almost antithetical to what we know about the team, but it proves that one can overhaul a bad unit with enough determination. Matt Feiler is having a career year as a modest free-agent acquisition to play one guard spot, while Corey Linsley and Rashawn Slater — the two higher profile additions — are both backing up their investment. If offensive linemen won such awards, then Slater would be the Offensive Rookie of the Year through nine weeks. He has allowed just 12 total pressures in eight games despite having to block Myles Garrettin one of them.
          Feiler has been everything that was advertised about him and more. These three may be the best left side - from center to left tackle - in the league.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            Man if we lock up the RT position this offseason we have a legitimate real o line......wow.
            If Bulaga can return, we might have it this season. Bulaga is legit. He just can't stay uninjured.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Bulaga can return, we might have it this season. Bulaga is legit. He just can't stay uninjured.
              I'm over bulaga. the guy has NO availability at all. super frustrated that he's doing nothin but collecting checks. in that regard storm is way better than bulaga.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I'm over bulaga. the guy has NO availability at all. super frustrated that he's doing nothin but collecting checks. in that regard storm is way better than bulaga.
                No argument here.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

He's gone after the year and we can't count on him even if he comes back, but...he'd be a massive improvement over Storm even if we could eek a few games out of him.

I never heard what the exact issue was with him, other than he had surgery on a core muscle or something like that. Anyone hear more?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

No. They have been pretty secretive, Rich. But he has chronic back issues and I imagine a core issue bad enough to require surgery is made even worse if you have the back.

Ideally, Chargers make playoffs and he is all set to go and in football shape then. He is a real difference maker when he sees the field. He just doesn't see it much.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He's gone after the year and we can't count on him even if he comes back, but...he'd be a massive improvement over Storm even if we could eek a few games out of him.

I never heard what the exact issue was with him, other than he had surgery on a core muscle or something like that. Anyone hear more?
                      Sports hernia I believe.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                        But who do we pursue for the RT spot? I don't know if you can keep going for OL players in the draft and keeping waiting on young players to develop.

Pipkins showed improvement in yesterdays game. He should be given a chance to compete for the starting spot at RT.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

But who do we pursue for the RT spot? I don't know if you can keep going for OL players in the draft and keeping waiting on young players to develop.

Pipkins showed improvement in yesterday's game. He should be given a chance to compete for the starting spot at RT.
                          Storm and Pipkins both had good games. Norton has had several good games this season.

Both Pipkins and Norton need to step their performance up by putting several good games together. TC is just not long enough to get the sense of whether or not a guy can make that improvement, so I think continued improvement during the rest of this season is key. But if they can repeat the performances from last night, they would both be playing at the level of a solid NFL starter.

Comment

Working...
                          X