• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
    We were outrushed 201-91. Khalil Mack's strip, Justin Herbert's fantastic performance, and the good fortune after we nearly fumbled away the game-winning drive turned out to be the difference. It also didn't hurt that we played a backup quarterback who completed 12 of 23 for 129 yards.

The 49ers will destroy us if we play like we did today.
    Luckily when we play them it’s a whole different game and a whole different set of outcomes. If teams played each other based on their last game it would make playing the game pointless. Eli Manning is happy this isn’t the case or they would have lost for sure against the perfect patriots in super bowl 42…

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Teams with more experienced coaches (Carroll/Pederson) already have and will continue to beat us convincingly.
      Coaches for teams we’ve beaten (recycles or rookies)
      josh mcd
      lovie smith
      stefanski
      hackett
      arthur smith

coaches for teams we’ve lost to (super bowl winning coaches)
      reid
      pedersen
      carroll

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        The 49ers lost to the Falcons by 14 points…just sayin’…
        Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Coaches for teams we’ve beaten (recycles or rookies)
          josh mcd
          lovie smith
          stefanski
          hackett
          arthur smith

coaches for teams we’ve lost to (super bowl winning coaches)
          reid
          pedersen
          carroll
          And you know what this means? It means we are 5-3...

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And you know what this means? It means we are 5-3...
            Confused Thinking GIF

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Luckily when we play them it’s a whole different game and a whole different set of outcomes. If teams played each other based on their last game it would make playing the game pointless. Eli Manning is happy this isn’t the case or they would have lost for sure against the perfect patriots in super bowl 42…
              Ugh. Why do people bring up Eli Manning in a positive light on this board> He was a crybaby who benefited from his defense beating the crap out of Brady..

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
                That's almost as annoying as your Eli Manning post. I may have to put on ignore soon. LOL.

Comment

• Tol
                  From Accounting
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Carlsbad
                  • Send PM

I still believe in Staley.

He's young and lacks experience, but if the Chargers hang on to him, I really think he can become one of those Super Bowl winning head coaches that always seem to beat us.
                  The age of each HC when they finally won the SB? Doug Pederson 50. Andy Reid 61. Pete Carrol 62. Bruce Arians 69. Staley is only 39, got to give him some time.
                  It took Sean McVay 5 seasons, and at 36 years old he seems to be an outlier. Staley's not there yet, but I see a lot of positives.
                  • Brings in talented players
                  • Improved Special Teams play (also credit to Ryan Ficken)
                  • Finding ways to win games they usually lose
                  • Winning record last season, winning record currently
                  • Trying new things
                  Is he a defensive guru? No. I think he's lost some of that credibility, but what's more important is being able to coach a team into being complete and winning in all phases. And I see progress being made there. Chargers are the most injured team right now and they are still fighting and finding ways to win. Fixing the slow starts on offense, stopping the run on defense, and this team as injured as it is can still compete.

Staley will continue to improve as a coach and the Chargers will have healthier seasons. I see good things for the Bolts in the future.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
                    I still believe in Staley.

He's young and lacks experience, but if the Chargers hang on to him, I really think he can become one of those Super Bowl winning head coaches that always seem to beat us.
                    The age of each HC when they finally won the SB? Doug Pederson 50. Andy Reid 61. Pete Carrol 62. Bruce Arians 69. Staley is only 39, got to give him some time.
                    It took Sean McVay 5 seasons, and at 36 years old he seems to be an outlier. Staley's not there yet, but I see a lot of positives.
                    • Brings in talented players
                    • Improved Special Teams play (also credit to Ryan Ficken)
                    • Finding ways to win games they usually lose
                    • Winning record last season, winning record currently
                    • Trying new things
                    Is he a defensive guru? No. I think he's lost some of that credibility, but what's more important is being able to coach a team into being complete and winning in all phases. And I see progress being made there. Chargers are the most injured team right now and they are still fighting and finding ways to win. Fixing the slow starts on offense, stopping the run on defense, and this team as injured as it is can still compete.

Staley will continue to improve as a coach and the Chargers will have healthier seasons. I see good things for the Bolts in the future.
                    I don't disagree with this, even though I've been critical thus far of Staley (mostly as a form of reverse psychology), but my take when he was hired was that he'd be great eventually, but there would be a lot of growing pains getting there. Not sure yet if he'll need another tenure elsewhere to realize it, but I think he'll eventually learn to be great. He may have to bite his pride and let people close to him go like Lombardi and Renaldo Hill, and make other adjustments to his coaching staff, but Ryan Ficken and Gif Smith are/were pretty good hires, so I think he'll eventually get the right team assembled to coach his philosophy properly, and provide the appropriate talent evaluations as to who should be seeing more snaps.

For now, he needs to focus on coaching the fundamentals, such as proper tackling and maintaining assignments on defense and not delegate that to position coaches. On offense, he'll need to step in for Lombardi and force him to dial up more intermediate passing plays. Less rushing on first downs, and utilizing Spiller more on 2nd and 3rd downs to spell and rest Ekeler.

I still think though that we'll need to somehow draft two Jamal Williams-type big-bodied NTs who can take on double teams and still get pressure while clogging up running lanes for what he truly wants to do on defense to work.
                    Last edited by jaguarmanftype; 11-07-2022, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It just so happens that we have Khalil Mack and Justin Herbert and they don't. The problem is we are getting outrushed like this nearly every week, and teams with better quarterbacks will beat us convincingly if this continues.
                      will they beat us rushing or passing? I'm confused

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

will they beat us rushing or passing? I'm confused
                        You're confused? So am I. I've seen four different head coaches and two awesome quarterbacks over the last 15 years and the same disappointing results. You may enjoy it. I don't. I want a Super Bowl title.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2021
                          • Send PM

We could easily be 3-5. I was predicting Koo would win it for the Falcons and he almost did. Missed 50 yard FG and the gift fumble. Lynn cutting him was stupid but if he kept Koo we could still be stuck with Lynn in a way I'm glad he effed himself. Did you see how happy Staley was after the 50 yard FG miss? He was seeing how the kick determined his job!

Also, Staley not recognizing the talent in front of him is atrocious. How much better would our run defense be if we kept Nowosu and Kyzir? Staley and his staff shortcomings go beyond preparation and game calling but evaluating talent. Bringing in Van Noy, Reeder, Fox, etc hasn't panned out but you had gold in your pan but decided to throw it out and pan for more useless sand and fools gold.

Comment

Working...
                          X