Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The D didn't look gassed to me on cleveland's final possession. Nor would they have to worry about cleveland running the football.
    Exactly...so punt.

I like Staley, but he is still coaching like a coordinator. I am no where near calling for his job like some on here, but you have to balance analytics with sound strategy and common sense.

Only way that is the right call is if the opposing QB is a gunslinger who has already hung 350 plus yards on you, and your secondary and rushers are gassed.

By the way...fake punt would have accomplished the same thing...but even better? If Herbert can kick at all, go in shotgun, roll out, and squib kick to burn up more clock. But maybe he cant kick 15 yds, lol...dont know.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

I’d be surprised if staley gets axed after this year, this team will make the playoffs and he’ll be back…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

From Peter King FMIA:

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

^^^ I agree with king on this, and staleys has cost this team wins last year with these types of decisions, the second KC game and the final game were particularly poorly called games with very questionable decisions. Others might argue that we don’t win the first KC game or the 2021 browns game without his decisions too, so yeah there’s that side too…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Blastttoff
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If the analytics say it increased the chances of winning vs punting, did the risk really outweigh the reward?
            exactly. you get the first down, the game is over. Give it to the best offensive weapon in football to get you the first.

Fans clamouring back to coaches like Lynn and McCoy who play to ‘not lose’.

Comment

• Blastttoff
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
              ^^^ I agree with king on this, and staleys has cost this team wins last year with these types of decisions, the second KC game and the final game were particularly poorly called games with very questionable decisions. Others might argue that we don’t win the first KC game or the 2021 browns game without his decisions too, so yeah there’s that side too…
              king is wrong on this. This is traditional old school football thinking, and not based on any analytical evidence.

how about 4th and 1, with a chance to end the game with the best qb in football, the best pass contested catching wr right now and ekeler who is having an amazing game.

67 seconds is plenty of time with a kicker who kicks 60+ yards.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post

king is wrong on this. This is traditional old school football thinking, and not based on any analytical evidence.

how about 4th and 1, with a chance to end the game with the best qb in football, the best pass contested catching wr right now and ekeler who is having an amazing game.

The best contested pass catcher going against a 3rd string corner. Staley even mentioned they like that matchup in his post game press conference. But, give the guy credit - he made a play.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The D didn't look gassed to me on cleveland's final possession. Nor would they have to worry about cleveland running the football.
                  maybe they were ok for 3-4 plays. But ive watched enough football to know after a 12 play 6:45min drive those guys need a rest. So having the option of watching your gassed def give up another big play or trying to end it

Cant fault the man for trying and putting the ball in his best players hands

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Forgotten is that from pretty much the same place on the field, the Chargers went for it on 4th down against the Texans, Ekeler made a big catch and it was basically game over. No one talking about that because it worked. The score was not as tight as the Browns game, but if the Chargers punted against Houston who knows what happens.

Guys like King state the obvious. The decision is questionable because it didn't work.

All that said, I do wish that Staley would factor in Herbert's health. Herbert seems very hesitant to run or perhaps he has been ordered not to. But on 4th downs, that element is very nice to have.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post

It’s not about old school vs new school for me, it’s about situational football I’m not against analytics but they are a tool and don’t take into account a lot of different factors like flow of the game, who’s taking snaps, etc…a team with no time outs and a backup QB that was not going to have his run game to lean on, you force him to keep everything inside and burn clock on short passes or QB runs up the middle….

perhaps they might’ve still ended in the same place attempting a 50 plus yard field goal but the guy had just thrown a pick in a critical situation so you make him earn the field position…

nothing that I saw from the browns in that game was hurry up offense type stuff, it’s the same reason they lost to us last year too, they’re not geared up to play that type of offense…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        Forgotten is that from pretty much the same place on the field, the Chargers went for it on 4th down against the Texans, Ekeler made a big catch and it was basically game over. No one talking about that because it worked. The score was not as tight as the Browns game, but if the Chargers punted against Houston who knows what happens.

Guys like King state the obvious. The decision is questionable because it didn't work.

All that said, I do wish that Staley would factor in Herbert's health. Herbert seems very hesitant to run or perhaps he has been ordered not to. But on 4th downs, that element is very nice to have.

TG
                        The texans needed ten points just to tie, the browns needed a field to win…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

I’m not on the fire Staley train yet, but it won’t surprise me if he does get fired…and it wont be because of some odd personnel decisions, mysterious benchings, or 4rth down decisions…it’ll be because his defenses have been bad…scheme is over complicated when even accomplished veterans like JC jackson and SJD look like scrubs playing in his scheme…his defenses have been my biggest issue with staley…and you can’t say it’s from a lack of talent anymore, his scheme creates running opportunities for offenses and other teams have taken notice of this…even teams not known for running have run it down our throats and I for one am getting completely fed up with that bullshit…

Comment

Working...
                          X