• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post
    We could easily be 3-5. I was predicting Koo would win it for the Falcons and he almost did. Missed 50 yard FG and the gift fumble. Lynn cutting him was stupid but if he kept Koo we could still be stuck with Lynn in a way I'm glad he effed himself. Did you see how happy Staley was after the 50 yard FG miss? He was seeing how the kick determined his job!

Also, Staley not recognizing the talent in front of him is atrocious. How much better would our run defense be if we kept Nowosu and Kyzir? Staley and his staff shortcomings go beyond preparation and game calling but evaluating talent. Bringing in Van Noy, Reeder, Fox, etc hasn't panned out but you had gold in your pan but decided to throw it out and pan for more useless sand and fools gold.
    It wasn't good when we had them and we were last on third downs.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Confused Thinking GIF
      Thank you! That was pretty funny

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

There's a lot to like about Staley, starting with who he is and what he has been through personally. But my biggest gripe is when we will see this defense play a good game? An entire good game. Even Bradley's defense would occasionally (rarely?) play a really good, complete, entire game. Like against the Ravens in the playoffs when they had no linebackers healthy. I am still waiting to see a Staley defense (and that is what it is, it's not Hill) play a good and complete game. There is always something wrong or someone does not do what they are supposed to do. Against the Falcons, Smith knew to run away from the side with the safety and our LBs did not rotate and it was another long run. I can see that for the first few games or some of the first season, but the fact that it happens every game makes me think it is all about the coaching. Find a way Staley, to get these guys in the right spots, doing the right things. Supposed to be your biggest strength.

TG

Comment

• Heatmiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lombo was his QBs coach. The guy that is the OC for the Saints now was Payton's OC. And Payton called the plays himself. It's a situation like KC where Bieniemi is the OC but Reid calls the plays. So I would expect Payton to do that here as well.
          Yes, this is what would likely happen if Payton comes in. I think the loyalty of this front office, the massive injuries, the winning record all make it unlikely it happens in 2023. Who knows, maybe Payton bides his time and it happens in 2024?

TG

Comment

• Kellyb72601
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            There's a lot to like about Staley, starting with who he is and what he has been through personally. But my biggest gripe is when we will see this defense play a good game? An entire good game. Even Bradley's defense would occasionally (rarely?) play a really good, complete, entire game. Like against the Ravens in the playoffs when they had no linebackers healthy. I am still waiting to see a Staley defense (and that is what it is, it's not Hill) play a good and complete game. There is always something wrong or someone does not do what they are supposed to do. Against the Falcons, Smith knew to run away from the side with the safety and our LBs did not rotate and it was another long run. I can see that for the first few games or some of the first season, but the fact that it happens every game makes me think it is all about the coaching. Find a way Staley, to get these guys in the right spots, doing the right things. Supposed to be your biggest strength.

TG
            It's a combination of bad scheme and bad players. This is a finesse team. The front office has not done a good job putting physical talent on the field. Watch a team like Tennessee play defense. Everyone plays physical, plays through the block, and tackles extremely well. Where do they get all those guys? Well they have a theme for what they look for when drafting and developing players. On the other hand, this football team drafts players like J.T. Woods. A guy who struggled to tackle at Baylor. You really gonna be surprised when he struggles to tackle on the field? I haven't even seen him play but I won't be surprised. Telesco is from the Bill Polian tree. They built the ultimate finesse team in Indy.

Schematically, to stop the run playing a 2 gap scheme on defense you need superior players and most of the guys in the front 7 can't even play 1 gap effectively. Getting Bosa back will help.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Yes, this is what would likely happen if Payton comes in. I think the loyalty of this front office, the massive injuries, the winning record all make it unlikely it happens in 2023. Who knows, maybe Payton bides his time and it happens in 2024?

TG
              He has already said he won't come back next year unless the situation is right so who knows.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

There are people here who say it will never happen because.....John Spanos. He secretly wants to ruin this team and drive its value down. This is not based upon any facts, discernible actions, or news reports. But its true, true I tell ya.

Comment

• JustAnotherFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

My thoughts...

The eyeball test says the Chargers are mediocre.
                  (Not just this game, but the last few games.)

But....

There have been an absurd amount of injuries.

The Chargers won another close game....

Say what you will about Staley, he has installed a culture of winning close games.
                  This is something the Chargers have not had in a LONG LONG TIME.

I am very much in support of Staley, to win with such a depleted roster, and to keep winning close games.
                  I say the future is bright with Staley!

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

I like Staley as well. I feel he has the right mind for the job. I'm just not sure he's gonna have time to build this team the way he wants to build it. The team needs lots of upgrades, some players are starting to get old, and there's not much depth.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

TG
                      Sean Payton will never happen. John Spanos would have to cede too much control and it would be too costly for these misers.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Sean Payton will never happen. John Spanos would have to cede too much control and it would be too costly for these misers.
                        Not sure why you say this - Payton worked all those years under Loomis in New Orleans who had the exact same role there as Telesco does here. Not sure how John Spanos as the president's jobs would overlap Payton wanting say in building the roster. I'm not even convinced that if we got Payton that there would not still be TT or his replacement in place.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not sure why you say this - Payton worked all those years under Loomis in New Orleans who had the exact same role there as Telesco does here. Not sure how John Spanos as the president's jobs would overlap Payton wanting say in building the roster. I'm not even convinced that if we got Payton that there would not still be TT or his replacement in place.
                          John Spanos was head of scouting before daddy handed off the top job with the GM reporting to him.

Therefore Johnny THINKS he knows how to build a roster and is very much hands on. There’s no way he will give up that control to Payton and with Payton’s stature and ability to call the shots on where he goes and what authority he will have, there’s no way he will come to LAC and take a knee to the Spanii kid.

It’s self evident. That’s why you have inexperienced GM and HC’s since John has been at the helm.

Nevertheless, you keep attributing competence and trust in John Spanos while you know zero about him.

look at the record.

Comment

Working...
                          X