• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Having a schedule of patsies make teams look 'tough'.
    Their schedule broke their way this year.
    That's what I'm worried about. The best team we've beaten over the last two months is the Dolphins, and they've lost four in a row.

Obviously Staley deserves credit for having the team ready to go out and win, but I don't think this winning streak and playoff berth necessarily means he's the right guy to be our head coach over the next several years. I have to see more progress. I've been burned too many times. In a previous post dmac said McCoy covered his eyes when we attempted field goals. I doubt he was complaining about McCoy when we went from 5-7 to 9-7 and won a playoff game in Cincinnati in 2013.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Giving Deno the game ball was like Rozelle handing the Lombardi trophy to Al Davis. Seems wrong..

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Staley has said from the start that Chargers have to win the battle at the LOS team to do anything special. You win at the LOS by being more physical and tough for longer than your opponent. This statement is just him staying true to his philosophy. He said he will get rid of players that aren't tough enough. And bring in players that are. If you are soft you can't play for Staley.

This is nothing new from Brandon. Are you too soft to hear it.

Sometimes, you need to learn to cancel your post :rofl:
        Every NFL head coach since the advent of football jabbers-on about how they will get their team to play 'tough'.
        By now, its a cliche: not a thing to sacredly place in the mental vault, as you apparently have been doing.

My comment was directed towards what he said just now: not what he said in April of 2021.

If he wanted to continue banging the keyboards of mental/physical toughness, that would have been fine by me.
        The unusual aspect now is that he throws yesterday's Charger teams under the bus.

Here it is -

"For far too long people have talked about the talent of this football team and the organization and that's ultimately not what gets you where you want to go. You have to prove your toughness, and that's what we have proven so far this year, is that we have a tough enough football team mentally and physically to be where we are right now."

Hard to misinterpret it ..... Charger teams of the past failed to prove their mental toughness.
        How many f...ing playoff games has this guy won again?

Then, after banging his chest, he performs the abjectly wretched and servile act of giving the game ball to our turd of an owner,

Does anyone remember that conversation about whether the Spanos hung out by the locker room doorway post game?

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Brandon is very smart. Dean wants a yes man. Brandon is not a yes man at all. So he has to figure out how to manage up and get his bosses to align with him. So he gives Dean the credit for bringing this group of men together while he pushes Tommy John on the direction of roster construction to focus on LOS and toughness.

Kahlil Mack is here because of Brandon.

#Genius
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• SK21209
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2020
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Here's where I'm at with Staley. Defensively, he of course has his preferred scheme predicated on inviting the run and stopping the big pass. While that is his overarching defensive philosophy, he's shown to be pretty good at devising individual gameplans for specific opponents. As for offense and special teams, he seems to be pretty hands off. Lombardi and Ficken are running the show in their respective areas. Overall, I think Staley is a pretty good "leader of men", and that coupled with his defensive gameplanning make him a decent enough head coach. That Week 3 Jacksonville loss felt like a season ender, it is an accomplishment to be in this position with all the injuries. In a vacuum, a coach like that who makes the playoffs usually gets to keep his job. I also think Staley is the kind of head coach that will/would improve over time.

That said, a Sean Payton/Vic Fangio combo (which is the latest rumor) is still probably an upgrade IMO. Payton is a proven winner at HC who has also demonstrated the ability to effectively gameplan for specific opponents and adapt his offensive scheme to the strengths of his players. He won a bunch of games and a SB with prime Brees stretching the field and then won at least 11 games a year from 2017 through 2020 with a greatly diminished Brees. Fangio is also one of the better defensive coordinators over the last decade or so. I think I still want us to pursue the Payton option unless we win the Superbowl.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
              Giving Deno the game ball was like Rozelle handing the Lombardi trophy to Al Davis. Seems wrong..
              Al Davis at least earned the Lombardi trophy

If Spanos had some semblance of modesty, he would have been reticent to receive an award that he didn't deserve.

I hope Keenan Allen and other receivers took note: Spanos attacked that transferred football aggressively, like a good receiver should on a comeback route.imp:

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

So, he's implying that the players were soft before he arrived?

Sometimes, Staley needs to learn to shut up.

Having a schedule of patsies make teams look 'tough'.
                Their schedule broke their way this year.
                I think you’re reading too much into it. And no, he shouldn’t shut up. They needed to be tough given how much injuries and adversity they faced earlier in the year.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Every NFL head coach since the advent of football jabbers-on about how they will get their team to play 'tough'.
                  By now, its a cliche: not a thing to sacredly place in the mental vault, as you apparently have been doing.

My comment was directed towards what he said just now: not what he said in April of 2021.

If he wanted to continue banging the keyboards of mental/physical toughness, that would have been fine by me.
                  The unusual aspect now is that he throws yesterday's Charger teams under the bus.

Here it is -

"For far too long people have talked about the talent of this football team and the organization and that's ultimately not what gets you where you want to go. You have to prove your toughness, and that's what we have proven so far this year, is that we have a tough enough football team mentally and physically to be where we are right now."

Hard to misinterpret it ..... Charger teams of the past failed to prove their mental toughness.
                  How many f...ing playoff games has this guy won again?

Then, after banging his chest, he performs the abjectly wretched and servile act of giving the game ball to our turd of an owner,

Does anyone remember that conversation about whether the Spanos hung out by the locker room doorway post game?
                  I take it your not a fan of Staley and want Sean Payton here.

Last time a Chargers Team was truly tough was Boss Ross.
                  We went to superbowl with far less talent than so many other Charger roster. Why is that? The scheme wasn't anything special. It wasn't a roster full of talent either. It got there with determination and toughness.

Every team has talent. Not every team will fight for each other every snap. They take plays off. They freelance and do what they want to do instead of their job like Jerry Tillery.
                  You can't win with players that don't hold themselves accountable for their assignment and effort.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                    He is staying - ball game to Spanos that is some new lvl of a**licking.
                    I get it. Most people don’t like Spanos. But it’s a silly complaint.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                      Since Balboa Stadium
                      • Sep 2022
                      • LA
                      • Send PM

All this Staley love...IMO people don't change...I don't think he has...he will probably FUP by going for some ludicrous 4th down in the playoffs...hoping not.

Regardless after the season....if some seasoned proven coach is available I say let him go back to assistantville.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Staley is here next year, it is a lock
                        Staley is better than all prior coaches mentioned, but he’s not even a finished product. He is a self-evolving genius organism that will continue to improve until he has overtaken and controls the entire world as we know it.
                        Lol

But honestly, he needs to go back to being aggressive on 4th downs using analytics. He’s just all over the place right now though leaning towards being too conservative.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
                          All this Staley love...IMO people don't change...I don't think he has...he will probably FUP by going for some ludicrous 4th down in the playoffs...hoping not.

Regardless after the season....if some seasoned proven coach is available I say let him go back to assistantville.
                          You haven’t been paying attention this year then. He did change and unfortunately has been too conservative this season. He needs to go back to what he did last year. And no, we’re not replacing him after this season regardless of who is available.

Comment

Working...
                          X