• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

The locker room game ball vids shows Staley has not lost the locker room. Add in he hasnt lost this fan, its actually increased for me. Lets get wild, coz nobody wants to fight a wildman
    They were euphoric because they won.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

At least 2% of the country understands how analytics work.
      I understand there are two analytics that should have been weighed in that situation.

Smug Staley apologists just cite the going for it on 4th down analytic which slightly favored that option if that was considered in a vacuum.

What those holier than thou Staley sack huggers don’t mention is the analytic of punting the ball and the win percentage of doing that.

Staley throws out all these platitudes about how he trusts his players and has supreme confidence in them. Well, where was the confidence in special teams punting on 4th down, pinning the Browns back, and defense ending the game?

The Browns bailed Staley out in losing the game. His analytics didn’t win it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Good stuff Heat !
        Agreed.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          What those holier than thou Staley sack huggers don’t mention is the analytic of punting the ball and the win percentage of doing that.
          With all due respect, I don't think anybody here is a "Staley sack hugger." What we are saying is don't come to hasty conclusions about Staley. He has his faults, and believe me most of us, the Staley proponents, are concerned about that decision at the end of the Browns game and a few other decisions he's made. But those calling for his immediate firing are being extreme. That would be the worst possible scenario. Most of the talk around Staley tends to focus on the negative. But there are many positives to Staley. He has overcome the adversity of injuries early this season and gotten the team to 3-2. He's accomplished that with some of his best players on offense and defense out with injury. I look at Daboll and what he's doing with the Giants and like everyone else here think about what could've been. But our reality is that we have Staley, and he is extremely capable. I think he is still learning how to be a HC and we are going to share in his growing pains. But I think there is a reasonably good chance he figures it out and this team starts playing to its full potential. The team is in a really good place. These next three games are going to be very telling for the Staley and the Chargers - Denver and Seattle at SoFi and Atlanta on the road. The Chargers should win all three and get to 6-2. If they falter due to not being prepared, bad game planning, bad in-game decisions, then yes there might be a problem. But until then, I wouldn't come to any conclusions about Staley.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

To me the bigger issue with that sequence that led Staley to make a controversial decision is not the decision itself but the fact the Chargers couldn't get 10 yards in four downs. That should never happen with Herbert at QB and with the way the offense was running the ball. I also have some issue with the play call on 4th down. The D knew Herbert was going to try to get the ball to their top playmaker, and they were ready for it. These are mistakes Staley/Lombardi are going to learn from and get better. If they are going to go for it on 4th and short in dangerous situations, design some plays for those situations that the defense won't be expecting.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              With all due respect, I don't think anybody here is a "Staley sack hugger.".
              I know. I was just injecting some sarcastic hyperbole that was over the top. I tend to do that.

I also don’t think Staley should be fired. I admire how he’s rebuilt the defense and personally recruited some players in FA to do it.

However, I’ll never be convinced that 4th down call was smart just like I was equally appalled by the 4th and forever call in Charger territory last year early in the game.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Big Balls Staley.
                Unconventional warfare, for me.

I'll probably get bashed for this...
                Herbie, get a little more air under that pass. That was MW being covered by a rookie. Mike is always open... it's a vertical thing with him.
                The matchup was there.
                Williams was probably never going to get open on that play: it seems to me that the rooks first task was to take away the quick slant route.

A quick slant to Williams lined up on the right side;
                Herbert faking left and rolling against the grain to his right with a tight end rolling that way.

That's pretty much it when it comes to Lombo's arsenal of go to plays without K.A.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

With all due respect, I don't think anybody here is a "Staley sack hugger." What we are saying is don't come to hasty conclusions about Staley. He has his faults, and believe me most of us, the Staley proponents, are concerned about that decision at the end of the Browns game and a few other decisions he's made. But those calling for his immediate firing are being extreme. That would be the worst possible scenario. Most of the talk around Staley tends to focus on the negative. But there are many positives to Staley. He has overcome the adversity of injuries early this season and gotten the team to 3-2. He's accomplished that with some of his best players on offense and defense out with injury. I look at Daboll and what he's doing with the Giants and like everyone else here think about what could've been. But our reality is that we have Staley, and he is extremely capable. I think he is still learning how to be a HC and we are going to share in his growing pains. But I think there is a reasonably good chance he figures it out and this team starts playing to its full potential. The team is in a really good place. These next three games are going to be very telling for the Staley and the Chargers - Denver and Seattle at SoFi and Atlanta on the road. The Chargers should win all three and get to 6-2. If they falter due to not being prepared, bad game planning, bad in-game decisions, then yes there might be a problem. But until then, I wouldn't come to any conclusions about Staley.
                  I and a legion here were Staley sack huggers.

The first part of addressing a chronic problem is to acknowledge it - no?

The varnish is starting to come off.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

If analytics told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?

I wanted Staley to punt the ball considering Cleveland's game in week 1 against Carolina.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

To me the bigger issue with that sequence that led Staley to make a controversial decision is not the decision itself but the fact the Chargers couldn't get 10 yards in four downs. That should never happen with Herbert at QB and with the way the offense was running the ball. I also have some issue with the play call on 4th down. The D knew Herbert was going to try to get the ball to their top playmaker, and they were ready for it. These are mistakes Staley/Lombardi are going to learn from and get better. If they are going to go for it on 4th and short in dangerous situations, design some plays for those situations that the defense won't be expecting.
                      I agree with that. I would have gone with the conventional punt, 58% chance of success isn't enough for me, and the play call may have pushed that success number to 50%. I suspect the models can't really predict how emotion and 'momentum' factor in as well. I think with enough 'trials' the models are correct, you just have to do it a lot of times, and that's not going to happen in reality.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I understand there are two analytics that should have been weighed in that situation.

Smug Staley apologists just cite the going for it on 4th down analytic which slightly favored that option if that was considered in a vacuum.

Staley throws out all these platitudes about how he trusts his players and has supreme confidence in them. Well, where was the confidence in special teams punting on 4th down, pinning the Browns back, and defense ending the game?

The Browns bailed Staley out in losing the game. His analytics didn’t win it.
                        LOL.
                        I will teabag yer azz.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Williams was probably never going to get open on that play: it seems to me that the rooks first task was to take away the quick slant route.

A quick slant to Williams lined up on the right side;
                          Herbert faking left and rolling against the grain to his right with a tight end rolling that way.

That's pretty much it when it comes to Lombo's arsenal of go to plays without K.A.
                          Faking a hand off to Ekeler then faking the the throw to big Mike in the flat, then hitting Ek on a wheel route seems to me like a better play and is also high-percentage. Just don't be predictable in that situation, and it seems like that play was predictable. It seems to be the 4th down short yardage failures that are Staley's most controversial were plays that were predictable.

Comment

Working...
                          X