• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Ah! Agua Caliente Racetrack! In the 60ies my late wife and I went there often. We both loved the ponies. I've been to racetracks all over the country in my younger days but none as much as Agua Caliente. I think I'vr been to every track in socal, even the small tracks at the county fairs.

I loved the Del Mar track. They had the best horses and Jockeys in the country. We had many fun days at the track.

Memories are bouncing back into my little brain as I write this. It's amazing how much is stuffed into my brain. I wish I could always pull it out when I need it.
    In a way, we've all been to Hollywood Park. I agree that Del Mar is such a jewel. My dad's fav was Santa Anita. I have a deep lifetime fondness for Mexican culture, starting with those early trips to Caliente.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      My dad used to take me to Agua Caliente Racetrack in Tijuana. Does that count ?

St. John, US Virgin Islands.
      Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands.
      Viti Levu, Yasawa Islands, Fiji.
      Kauai, Maui, Big Island, Hawaii.

So many incredible memories.

The Staley's had their life journeys.

sonora. Nutty. It would be nice to hear all your stories. We are hardened for this epic '23 season coming up.
      I'm a plugger. Not inclined to giving up, not always right or the best way to be but I'm a Chargers Fan. I always like my Bolts but this year.......
      this year, I'm surprised at the depth of emotion I'm experiencing. The electricity is making my hair stand on end.
      Frightening Lightening ahead!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I have a Caliente story that's not quite what you'd expect. several actually but the one I'm going with is as follows:
        On the road leading to the horse track, a well to do young Mexican motorcycle racer built a TT track and stands. Early 60's. He sent out invitations to SoCal MC racers through their clubs and shops. Trophies and after race parties were included on race days. I went with some racer friends and a truck load of bikes. .
        One of the guys, Big Jim (I was Little Jim) dumped his BSA Lightening in Open Expert practice laps and injured an ankle. He persuaded me to take his bike and entry and race. We had the same first and last names and I went for it. I liked to ride and loved going fast. I finished last in the Open Expert Main in my first ever event. The plus was, I was in the same lap with the leaders and I Finished! no crash! I was so stoked by the experience, the engines roaring, the tires screaming on the packed adobe corners, the smell of burnt fuel and hot engines it took getting married to pull me off the tracks.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Ah! Agua Caliente Racetrack! In the 60ies my late wife and I went there often. We both loved the ponies. I've been to racetracks all over the country in my younger days but none as much as Agua Caliente. I think I'vr been to every track in socal, even the small tracks at the county fairs.

I loved the Del Mar track. They had the best horses and Jockeys in the country. We had many fun days at the track.

Memories are bouncing back into my little brain as I write this. It's amazing how much is stuffed into my brain. I wish I could always pull it out when I need it.
          I had a friend in high school who fancied himself a horse handicapper. He’d get the racing form each day and we’d plot it out the night before and go to Del Mar for the races with a little body surfing mixed in ahead of ti e and some Roberto’s afterwards. Good times. Some wins some losses but fun

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I had a friend in high school who fancied himself a horse handicapper. He’d get the racing form each day and we’d plot it out the night before and go to Del Mar for the races with a little body surfing mixed in ahead of ti e and some Roberto’s afterwards. Good times. Some wins some losses but fun
            I got into it for a while. Had a system that paid for the day. Food, drinks, etc. No real money.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

My father-in-law was an avid fan of horse racing. He fowled the circuit all over the country. He was a very good handicapper. When I married his daughter, he took me with him quite often and he taught me how to use the racing form. After a time, I also became good at picking the winners. But, as the years went by and we had fewer tracks and less time to attend, I forgot what he taught me. Today, I'm not at all good at picking winners.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

My father-in-law was an avid fan of horse racing. He fowled the circuit all over the country. He was a very good handicapper. When I married his daughter, he took me with him quite often and he taught me how to use the racing form. After a time, I also became good at picking the winners. But, as the years went by and we had fewer tracks and less time to attend, I forgot what he taught me. Today, I'm not at all good at picking winners.
                Hence the Charger fanhood?? Sorry sorry - I know, low blow . . . . . . . . . . . but I couldn't resist . What can I say - I'm weak . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Early 20s we used to go to Del Mar all the time when you could bring in a cooler full of booze. that infield got rowdy lol …
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

My pops won BIG-- in the late 70s
                    spent his earnings in the following years trying to win big again.
                    needless to say, that never happened.

He's staying up every night currently to "study" Del Mar
                    (Of course).
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Craig440
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

I was into horses for a few years. Would print out the form and play on TVG and watch on TV. I did real good. Biggest win was almost $5000.00 on an $8.00 pick four. MY gf was into it also, until the thirty horses died at Santa Anita I think it was. We would go to Del Mar. One day there was a crash right in front of us and the horse died. That was it for us.

I loved Zenyatta

(310) ZENYATTA DANCING QUEEN VIDEO (ABBA) - YouTube

I was there once at Del Mar to see her in person. A beautiful horse. Oh and Bo Derick was pretty cute also.

(310) 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic - YouTube​​
                      Last edited by Craig440; 07-30-2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Great stories, guys! Thank you for the Del Mar memories. I was never good at picking the ponies... but loved watching them! Never went to Aqua Caliente... but wish I would have.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I think I rode a thoroughbred once as a kid. My buddy had a quarter horse mare and I doubled with him to a stables near the TJ sloughs. I rented a horse and off we went. Ron's mare didn't like to follow and a race started.I was far from expert but once it was on my horse smoothed out and the wind was whistling. I had enough composure to lean into it and let it run. Ron just disappeared behind us and my ride settled into a trot.
                          I later read that the short lived stables was the front for a stolen thoroughbred ring.
                          Who knows, but it was the ride of my life.

Comment

Working...
                          X