• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Brandon Staley is the Chargers' 17th head coach. He's one of 8 head coaches who has a winning record piloting the Chargers. Here are the winningest head coaches, first by win percentage then by number of wins.

1. Sid Gillman 1960-69, 1971 .619
    2. Marty Schottenheimer 2002-6 .588
    3. Bobby Ross 1992-96 .588
    4. Norv Turner 2007-12 .583
    5. Charlie Waller 1969-70 .563***
    6. Brandon Staley 2021-present .559
    7. Don Coryell 1978-86 .552
    8. Anthony Lynn 2017-20 .516

Here are their win totals.

1. Sid Gillman 86
    2. Don Coryell 69
    3. Norv Turner 56
    4. Mary Schottenheimer 47
    5. Bobby Ross 47
    6. Anthony Lynn 33
    7. Brandon Staley 19
    8. Charlie Waller 9***

***NOTE
    Charlie Waller filled in for Gillman as HC from Nov. 1969 to Dec. 1970 while Gillman recovered from health problems. Gillman remained as GM during this time.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Harden is the Rembrandt of Sport Beard. Nobody touching him. Fouts was Picasso. unkempt but mesmerizing. Billy Gibbons is that guy that used to have the PBS show, during his grizzly bear phase. no idea who Otto the great was.

OT: Have any of you guys ever seen the Mona Lisa in person? I was shocked at how small a painting it is.
      I've seen it twice... my wife is an artist. We went to France and Italy for our honeymoon (1998).
      My wife loves the Impressionists. Paris is home to Musée de l'Orangerie. Monet's "Water Lilies" are huge in contrast to the Mona Lisa.
      My favorite museum was the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I've seen it twice... my wife is an artist. We went to France and Italy for our honeymoon (1998).
        My wife loves the Impressionists. Paris is home to Musée de l'Orangerie. Monet's "Water Lilies" are huge in contrast to the Mona Lisa.
        My favorite museum was the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

I visited the Van Gogh museum in A-Dam in … uh … 1998 and I 100% endorse this. Unlike your wife, and maybe you, I’m not educated in art and wouldn’t notice a fraction of what you two do. But I was just entranced with his work.

Looking at his body of work was a fascinating display of a guy with an obvious bimodal maybe manic-depressive life - half of his work was just utterly brilliant, vibrant and almost alive - like in motion so beautifully painted. And the other half - it looked like the work of a drug addled junkie, crazytown scribbling in the midst of server benders. Just fascinating contrast from the same artist! Loved it, highly recommend to anyone that gets there.

My wife has a simple hand drawing of a dove by Picasso, maybe an 10” x 12” in size or slightly larger if i recall. Learned that he used to whip those out on the fly by the dozens to give away, so its not like a major piece of his art. Still - yeah, … sniff … we have a Picasso, yup. Looks sort of like this …
        image.png
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

That's really cool! Not a lot of people have a Picasso in their possession.

Did you go to the Rembrandt Museum in Amsterdam? That's another great museum. Totally different style than Van Gogh... but a master nonetheless.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

That's really cool! Not a lot of people have a Picasso in their possession.

Did you go to the Rembrandt Museum in Amsterdam? That's another great museum. Totally different style than Van Gogh... but a master nonetheless.
            No, i didnt - was just there for a weekend and had some drinking to do

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

No, i didnt - was just there for a weekend and had some drinking to do
              LOL! Well, Amsterdam is great for that, too!
              In 1989, my brother and I spent a few days in Amsterdam. One of the greatest bar nights! The bartendress was excited to have Americans in the house... she served us free beers all night. I found the Dutch to be very welcoming!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

LOL! Well, Amsterdam is great for that, too!
                In 1989, my brother and I spent a few days in Amsterdam. One of the greatest bar nights! The bartendress was excited to have Americans in the house... she served us free beers all night. I found the Dutch to be very welcoming!
                I was stationed in Frankfurt 1966-68. Visited Amsterdam several times and liked it a lot. Cheap train fare from the Hauptbahnhof made it a nice weekend trip. Paris was very inhospitable at that time. US = SS, American Nazi Bastards Go Home, etc graffiti everywhere. No likey. Barcelona and Sitges were my Favorites. Wish my tastes had been more mature. Food, drink, girls topped the list but by luck spent an evening at a wine cellar when the owners friend, a classic spanish guitar artist, dropped in and played in the small room the most spell binding music I have ever experienced. I don't think anyone breathed while he played. Oh yeah, saw El Cordobes at the downtown bullring in Barcelona,

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I was stationed in Frankfurt 1966-68. Visited Amsterdam several times and liked it a lot. Cheap train fare from the Hauptbahnhof made it a nice weekend trip. Paris was very inhospitable at that time. US = SS, American Nazi Bastards Go Home, etc graffiti everywhere. No likey. Barcelona and Sitges were my Favorites. Wish my tastes had been more mature. Food, drink, girls topped the list but by luck spent an evening at a wine cellar when the owners friend, a classic spanish guitar artist, dropped in and played in the small room the most spell binding music I have ever experienced. I don't think anyone breathed while he played. Oh yeah, saw El Cordobes at the downtown bullring in Barcelona,
                  Thank you for your service!

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Thank you for your service!
                    It was my privilege. I struggle not to be embarrassed by the fact that it was so easy for me and tragic for others.

Comment

• colorado
                      Fan since '62
                      • Jun 2023
                      • Desert Rat
                      • Nothing but time on my hands
                      • Send PM

It's interesting to see norv turner fourth in win percentage and third in wins. Every team he ever went to to be headcoach he totally destroyed and dismantled.
                      personally, he was a jinx.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post
                        It's interesting to see norv turner fourth in win percentage and third in wins. Every team he ever went to to be headcoach he totally destroyed and dismantled.
                        personally, he was a jinx.
                        Just goes to show great those players were: Rivers, Tomlinson (in 2007), Gates, Jackson, McNeill (prior to injury), Merriman (prior to injury), and the rest. If only it had been the end of the 1996 season, when Bill Parcells was leaving Robert Kraft and New England, instead of 2006. I would have been totally on board with Parcells in his prime coaching the 2007 San Diego Chargers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Just goes to show great those players were: Rivers, Tomlinson (in 2007), Gates, Jackson, McNeill (prior to injury), Merriman (prior to injury), and the rest. If only it had been the end of the 1996 season, when Bill Parcells was leaving Robert Kraft and New England, instead of 2006. I would have been totally on board with Parcells in his prime coaching the 2007 San Diego Chargers.
                          you could say they were elite.

Norv was a genius as OC of Dallas when he had Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, etc etc Its weird how HOF and pro bowl players on the same unit will make their coach become a genius. Gus was a genius when he had his legion of boom, too. Turns out his defense wan't much more than "turn them loose"

Comment

Working...
                          X