Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatmiser
    replied
    There will be a bidding war for Harbuagh. He can pick his job, good for him.

Carolina - rich owner will probably pay the most and give the most control. Iffy quarterback,no first round pick, no past ties for Harbaugh (if that matters) and the owner is reportedly a "meddler" like in scooby doo? Total start from scratch, no immediate pressure to win.

Chicago - have to sort out Ryan Poles, that may be a problem for Harbaugh, they have lots of draft picks, lots of cap space, I am sure it appeals to him to be the new Ditka since he played under him and Harbaugh can draft JJ McCarthy for his QB. Pretty much a start from scratch no immediate pressure to win.

Chargers - he played here, he supposed loves Herbert, he will get to have a say or hand pick his GM, there is a lot of talent on this team and they just need to score on their last drives of the games. And it's LA which some love and some not so. Will be expected to make playoffs immediately and be strong superbowl contender shortly after. Would be in division with Reid and Payton and that should appeal to his competitiveness which is off the charts.

Washington - don't know much about the new owner, other than is richer than Spanoesesesses. Team needs a QB. Seems like they tore down the defense. Another start over, no immediate pressure.

TG

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Mike Greenberg: Jim Harbaugh Is 'Huge Fan' Of Justin Herbert

ESPN's Mike Greenberg did say on Thursday that he knows Harbaugh is a big fan of one particular NFL quarterback. Greenberg's knowledge stems from a conversation he says he had with Harbaugh "about a year ago."

"We just got into a conversation. This had nothing to do with anything, in no way were we talking about him leaving Michigan. We were just talking about quarterback play, and he was raving about Justin Herbert," Greenberg said.
    ​
    That is literally what we have to pin our hopes on - Harbaugh feeling he can come in and compete with an elite QB.

Leave a comment:

• electricgold
    replied
    Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The Bears are actually a very attractive franchise for Harbaugh. For starter they are young and have talent. They have two first round picks in the top 5 and they are millions under the cap. Harbaugh also has a history there as he was drafted by the Bears and played QB there. They do have a potential problem at QB that needs to be resolved. Their ownership group is also not the best in the NFL.

By contrast the Chargers have one of worst ownerships in the NFL. They are over $40M over the cap. The defense is a mess. The offense is injury prone, inconsistent and regressing.

A almost total rebuild is needed. We do have Herbert, but little else. Allen will be one year older. We won't have a bonified NFL RB after this year. The O line needs major help in the form of coaching and talent. Big question marks at TE. I'm not even going to dive into the defense.

If I were Harbaugh assuming the salaries are close I'd choose Chicago, and the biggest reason being the Spanos.

Mike Greenberg: Jim Harbaugh Is 'Huge Fan' Of Justin Herbert

ESPN's Mike Greenberg did say on Thursday that he knows Harbaugh is a big fan of one particular NFL quarterback. Greenberg's knowledge stems from a conversation he says he had with Harbaugh "about a year ago."

"We just got into a conversation. This had nothing to do with anything, in no way were we talking about him leaving Michigan. We were just talking about quarterback play, and he was raving about Justin Herbert," Greenberg said.
    ​

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The Bears are actually a very attractive franchise for Harbaugh. For starter they are young and have talent. They have two first round picks in the top 5 and they are millions under the cap. Harbaugh also has a history there as he was drafted by the Bears and played QB there. They do have a potential problem at QB that needs to be resolved. Their ownership group is also not the best in the NFL.

By contrast the Chargers have one of worst ownerships in the NFL. They are over $40M over the cap. The defense is a mess. The offense is injury prone, inconsistent and regressing.

A almost total rebuild is needed. We do have Herbert, but little else. Allen will be one year older. We won't have a bonified NFL RB after this year. The O line needs major help in the form of coaching and talent. Big question marks at TE. I'm not even going to dive into the defense.

If I were Harbaugh assuming the salaries are close I'd choose Chicago, and the biggest reason being the Spanos.
    Bears Plus: They are a National Media fixation with east coast media. If the Bears do well, they get top of the fold, first clip on sports center, yada yada attention from national gadflies. If Harbaugh returned Bears to a championship, he'd be an idol. If he brought LAC to a championship, who will care? If his goal is personal aggrandizement, the upside is greater in Chicago. you're right - they have "better fans" (gasp)

LAC Plus: I don't see QBs in this draft as good as Herbert but I'm biased. Herbert will also be in year 4, fully seasoned, vs a new rookie and the associated rookie growing pains and uncertainty. LA has movie stars celebrities A-list parties red carpets and all that jazz for high profile individuals, if that interests him then thats a plus. I'd rather live in LA than Chicago but he's not me and he likes it back there i think. Chicago is Michigan but with everything better and he's happy in Ann Arbor. Chargers play in a better stadium, their new practice facility opens this spring, and we do have a better roster as of today.

I'd think at some point $8M vs $14M just doesn;'t matter but I've never had either so maybe that is a stupid thing to think.

Leave a comment:

• charger1_sj
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Of course, it ultimately matters what Harbaugh wants but I'm not sure how Spanos paying what he wants salary-wise and making him feel wanted is somehow better than the Panthers or especially the Bears doing the same.

The Chargers have Herbert as a plus and while they play in a great stadium, they literally have no home field advantage, are currently $45 million over the cap next year with a lot of holes to fill. A good coaching staff should fix a some of things immediately, but it may take some time to overhaul the roster.

The Bears should move on from Fields and can because they have the 1st and 4th picks in the draft this year (along with an extra 2nd still coming next year), have a solid defense, and have $63 million in cap space available to plug holes. The question is the QB and how long it will take to develop one if they move on from Fields. Are the Bears really run into the ground any more than the Chargers? They both are sitting on 4 wins and you have the Spanos clan running things...

The Panthers have a young QB who is still a big question mark, but they also have $38 million in cap space and can free up another $30 million with a couple of cuts or restructures. Is Young a bust or just put in a bad situation? Depending on what Harbaugh thinks, it may or may not be attractive.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

It doesn't matter what these two teams want! They both have been run to the ground! It matters what Jim Harbaugh wants! If the Spanos request and interview with him and what the Chargers have to offer with players, city, new practice facility, stadium, a GM he wants to partner with, it should all come down to if the Spanos want to pay what he wants and make him feel wanted. The Panthers & bears vs Justin Herbert in Los Angeles! Really it's a no brainer based on what could be!
    Of course, it ultimately matters what Harbaugh wants but I'm not sure how Spanos paying what he wants salary-wise and making him feel wanted is somehow better than the Panthers or especially the Bears doing the same.

The Chargers have Herbert as a plus and while they play in a great stadium, they literally have no home field advantage, are currently $45 million over the cap next year with a lot of holes to fill. A good coaching staff should fix a some of things immediately, but it may take some time to overhaul the roster.

The Bears should move on from Fields and can because they have the 1st and 4th picks in the draft this year (along with an extra 2nd still coming next year), have a solid defense, and have $63 million in cap space available to plug holes. The question is the QB and how long it will take to develop one if they move on from Fields. Are the Bears really run into the ground any more than the Chargers? They both are sitting on 4 wins and you have the Spanos clan running things...

The Panthers have a young QB who is still a big question mark, but they also have $38 million in cap space and can free up another $30 million with a couple of cuts or restructures. Is Young a bust or just put in a bad situation? Depending on what Harbaugh thinks, it may or may not be attractive.

Leave a comment:

• Coachmarkos
    replied
    Good article about Flores on ESPN today(sorry if this was posted already, I just went to the last page)

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    The most successful head coaches in Chargers franchise history have been older veteran coaches with previous head coaching experience and track record of success, at the collegiate level and in the pros. This goes all the way back to the AFL days, starting with the Chargers very first head coach. This franchise has never prospered under younger, unproven first-time head coaches.

Sid Gillman was the franchise's first coach and under him the Chargers won the AFL West five times in the AFL's first six years of existence. He won the AFL Championship in 1963. Previous to coaching the Chargers, Gilman had been head coach of the LA Rams, leading the Rams to their first NFL title game. Prior to the Rams, Gillman had coached in college for decades, including two stints as head coach (Miami of Ohio and Cincinnati).

Don Coryell coached at the collegiate level for 20 years, including a decade as head coach of San Diego State, where he had great success. He was head coach of the St. Louis Cardinals for five seasons in the mid 1970s and was NFL coach of the year in 1974. He became head coach of the Chargers in 1978 at age 54, you know the rest.

Bobby Ross coached in college and in the NFL for decades. He was a head coach in collegiate football but not in the NFL before becoming the Chargers head coach. As head coach at Georgia Tech he won a share of the national championship. He came to the Chargers in 1992 at age 56. He is the only head coach to get the Chargers to the Super Bowl.

Marty Schottenheimer became Chargers head coach at age 59 in 2002. He coached in the NFL most of his career, and had previously been head coach of the Browns, Chiefs and Redskins.

Even Norv Turner, who is one of the winningest head coaches in franchise history, had previous head coaching experience (Redskins, Raiders) before becoming Chargers head coach at age 55.​

Leave a comment:

• electricgold
    replied

Read something today that the Panthers and Bears are supposedly going to go hard after him.
    It doesn't matter what these two teams want! They both have been run to the ground! It matters what Jim Harbaugh wants! If the Spanos request and interview with him and what the Chargers have to offer with players, city, new practice facility, stadium, a GM he wants to partner with, it should all come down to if the Spanos want to pay what he wants and make him feel wanted. The Panthers & bears vs Justin Herbert in Los Angeles! Really it's a no brainer based on what could be!

Leave a comment:

• Heatmiser
    replied
    One thing Staley did here that was a big success. He fixed special teams. None of the other recent HCs seemed able to do it. He did. That is about all I got on the positives. Hope Ficken stays when the new HC is hired. I don't want a new guy coming in and messing up the best kicker we have had since Carney

TG

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm reading Mark Davis wanted to bring back Gruden if he is cleared of this scandel.
    LOL...interesting...then they can later on trade Chucky away for some more draft picks...

Leave a comment:

• Go Chargers go
    replied

Belichick the GM is why the Pats now are bad. Belichick the coach is still elite.
    With the amount of draft picks he hordes he should easily be able to fix the QB position. That their biggest issues

Leave a comment:

Working...
X