Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Peyton isn't even making 20 mil per year and Denver really wanted him bad and upped the ante to 18 mil after he turned them down.

I don't think Harbaugh will cost 20 mil per year. He isn't even making 10 mil in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• Boltinloudguy
    replied
    Even with Harbaugh’s drama at the moment, he would still be my first choice because of his success. I also think he has some unfinished business in the NFL. I believe he would also instill that killer instinct in Herbert.

Frank Smith is my 2nd choice. I know he would be another 1st time HC. But I think with his background of coaching Oline, TE and now OC would bode well for this team. He also seems like a no nonsense type coach. I also believe he wouldn’t be calling plays and would hire some good coaches to support him.

Bissacia would be my 3rd choice. He did a great job dealing with the shit storm in LV and got them to the playoffs. With his tenor in the NFL, I’m sure he would have coaches wanting to come coach with him.

Smith is the offensive coordinator of one of the best, most innovative offenses in the NFL. So how come so few people know who he is?

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I agree with you on this. Get a big name proven winner. It's the only way we've been successful as a franchise. A culture changer. Otherwise, i have zero confidence that Spanos can identify the next coordinator making the jump to a good HC.

As for the Chargers 3rd down defense don't they lead the league in giving up 3rd and longs?
    The going rate for Harbaugh would be like 20mil/Year. A new GM would be at least 5mil per year. And I would think the deals would be at least 4years.
    Currently I think Telesco is 3mil and Staley 4mil.
    So Spanos eating 7mil and then spending 25mil/y over 4 years. Commiting 100mil to new GM/HC seem massively unlikely.
    They would need to sell to Bezos to spend like that on GM/HC.

So my unconventional hideous idea is 100 percent behind
    Staley. He buys his own groceries. Telesco is fired. 1 year more for Brandon, he gets year 4 with his rookie class who are seniors now. It's last year of his contract anyway so he is certainly on the hot seat,. especially with the GM title added. Get cooking Brandon. I'm hungry.

Leave a comment:

• charger1_sj
    replied

I agree with you on this. Get a big name proven winner. It's the only way we've been successful as a franchise. A culture changer. Otherwise, i have zero confidence that Spanos can identify the next coordinator making the jump to a good HC.

As for the Chargers 3rd down defense don't they lead the league in giving up 3rd and longs?
    They lead the league in penalties on 3rd downs leading to 1st downs. In general we give up big plays both in the air and on the ground.
    Part of this is due to Staley's stupid defense. Usually leaving 2 Lbs and safeties that take very bad angles on run plays. As for the problems
    through the air as you know we lack quality CBs and Staley's ideas for the DBs don't fit what we have.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied

Isn’t that a principal aspect of a good coach? Making the players believe they will win?
    That much harder to do. Than just substitute a unconfident player for a dog who knows how to play football.
    See M.Davis out. D.Leonard in.
    The physical play and decisiveness changed at that spot. Much quicker than coaches hoping Davis will get some ballskills out of the blue and more decisiveness in his play. Something I haven't seen from him ever. He best trait is he can shadow a WR well. M.Davis is an overachiever works hard and shows up to practice. But you want that player as your back up, not your starter. Telesco paid him 25mil contract to keep an overachieving udfa backup 3 years ago. But last week that was 6mil on the bench vs Ravens. While Staley played his 2022 7th Rd draft pick. Is that player development from Staley. 7th Rd player is his starter vs Ravens in year 2 of being in the program and played well that day. This Last year under contract for Davis. He won't be resigned, whether they keep Staley or not. And he isn't going change life anywhere else. A CB needy team might bring him in to be CB2. That his ceiling as a free agent. If he landed on 49ers he could look okay there and fans could say see he plays well there. And I would say still same player. He isn't changing life there. It's the best front 7 in football that makes the 49ers unit great. Players play the game. If your coach play call was bad. That one thing. If you Pipkins the block and the whole play breaks down at the snap. The question is do you have a better option at RT than this turnstile. If you LB struggle to play coverage but you need a LB to do that, you don't just press a button and player knows how to play in coverage. Your better of getting players that already show they can do it and then coach them. Not he is super physically downhill LB that were are hoping can learn to play in coverage. Just more bad Telesco decision. QJ....he answers we like Big WRs. LOL. Your allowed to like Speed at WR. It's scares defense. Slow big guys don't scare anyone. But they can make contested catches and get hurt. The Telesco philosophy about WRs is not working for him as a key component in winning games. Trenches should be where he says, we like Big nasty OL. And then even when he has 3 really good OL, he drafts another one in Rd1 to stockpile talent at that position. And after 10 season he still shows he like the shiny toys and drafts QJ the WR. Does it have anything to do with the fact he played WR in college. So.......he just cant help himself..WR is his thing.

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied

they lead the league in giving up yards, so they are coming from somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Critty View Post

I think many fans stay at 1 level when they access things.
    Fire the HC is the laziest take. Having 1 unit having inconsistent play, 1 person got his bag and checked out or others top players are on IR doesn't make a bad coach in need of firing. Not if special teams is playing well, not if they have been consistently a low penalties team.

Saying hasn't got been able to get defense playing well is true if it's meant in consistency over 17 games.
    However, in 2022 they were the #1 D in stopping 3rd and short in all the NFL. The final 5 games of 2022 they ranked 3rd overall defense in all NFL during that stretch. So they didn't quit on Staley and played up to expectations late in the year and seem to be riding high with momentum. And had a sweet first half vs JAX. And then blew the damn game. But what I saw was Joey make horrible offsides negate a perfect call blitz by Staley that stopped the drive. And provide a spark to other team. And then have a tantrum giving the game away. Telesco didn't have the balls to trade him and now he is on IR. Could have spent that money along with Pipkins money on a better RT and another vet OL to bolster the depth in front of your most expensive and important player JH10. Not to mention have we ever seen Telesco make a before trade deadline trade that brought in an impact player. No never..not 1 single time has he tried to add some gas with at mid season acquisition for any of his 3 HCs. And in the JAX game, I saw JH10 and offense unable to get anything going in 2nd half. And as HC I saw fans and media call it Chargering. And I heard Staley call Chargering a myth. Just didn't get it done. And I love that about him. Fk this Chargering BS. Didn't get it done. And they brought in a new OC. And the offense has had the ball with chances to take lead in many of these 5 one score losses and fell flat late. The defense has struggled as well to play consistently. But they still are good at 3rd down defense. They are not taking it away like they need. And the offense and defense seem to be taking turns in who is going to have a sloppy performance. Yet to me this also is happening with lost of moving parts. Williams and Palmer on field help offense be a bit better vs Packers. Probably. QJ stepping up early vs Packers, help win..Yes but he dropped it.. Etc...etc.

To me it's a work through it. Don't throw the baby out with bath water. Just keeping building the program. I like too much of it to say start over. But if we are starting over we should get a Harbaugh to compete with Reid, Payton in the AFC West. Not a new guy. But I don't think we will get anything but another sideways move. McCoy Lynn Staley.....insert next unproven HC to get scapegoat here. I'm not into coaching carousel.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied

We have a defensive coach who hasn’t been able to get the defense to play well in 3 straight years. That’s a damning indictment. I also think you’re underestimating Staley’s hand in bringing guys he wants. Certainly on the defensive side of the ball he’s done that with SJD, Fox, Mack, Kendricks and probably JCJ. It just hasn’t worked. He had Derwin James in his prime and neutered him. Enough
    I think many fans stay at 1 level when they access things.
    Fire the HC is the laziest take. Having 1 unit having inconsistent play, 1 person got his bag and checked out or others top players are on IR doesn't make a bad coach in need of firing. Not if special teams is playing well, not if they have been consistently a low penalties team.

Saying hasn't got been able to get defense playing well is true if it's meant in consistency over 17 games.
    However, in 2022 they were the #1 D in stopping 3rd and short in all the NFL. The final 5 games of 2022 they ranked 3rd overall defense in all NFL during that stretch. So they didn't quit on Staley and played up to expectations late in the year and seem to be riding high with momentum. And had a sweet first half vs JAX. And then blew the damn game. But what I saw was Joey make horrible offsides negate a perfect call blitz by Staley that stopped the drive. And provide a spark to other team. And then have a tantrum giving the game away. Telesco didn't have the balls to trade him and now he is on IR. Could have spent that money along with Pipkins money on a better RT and another vet OL to bolster the depth in front of your most expensive and important player JH10. Not to mention have we ever seen Telesco make a before trade deadline trade that brought in an impact player. No never..not 1 single time has he tried to add some gas with at mid season acquisition for any of his 3 HCs. And in the JAX game, I saw JH10 and offense unable to get anything going in 2nd half. And I saw fans and media call it Chargering. And I heard Staley call Chargering a myth. Just didn't get it done. And I love that about him. Fk this Chargering BS. Didn't get it done. And they brought in a new OC. And the offense has had the ball with chances to take lead in many of these 5 one score losses and fell flat late. The defense has struggled as well to play consistently. But they still are good at 3rd down defense. They are not taking it away like they need. And the offense and defense seem to be taking turns in who is going to have a sloppy performance. Yet to me this also is happening with lost of moving parts. Williams and Palmer on field help offense be a bit better vs Packers. Probably. QJ stepping up early vs Packers, help win..Yes but he dropped it.. Etc...etc.

To me it's a work through it. Don't throw the baby out with bath water. Just keeping building the program. I like too much of it to say start over. But if we are starting over we should get a Harbaugh to compete with Reid, Payton in the AFC West. Not a new guy. But I don't think we will get anything but another sideways move. McCoy Lynn Staley.....insert next unproven HC to get scapegoat here. I'm not into coaching carousel.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Wow.

(In defense of not hiring Payton - and this is going unsaid - is the draft picks the Chargers would have had to send to New Orleans to get him. The Broncos had to give up a 2023 1st round pick and a 2024 2nd and 3rd pick. I don't think I would agree to that either.)

The Chargers could be an enticing destination for Bill Belichick, but NBC San Diego’s Derek Togerson explains why Belichick-to-LA is highly unlikely.

Where will Bill Belichick be coaching a year from now?

While the writing appears to be on the wall for the Patriots head coach in New England, indications are that Belichick wants to continue coaching, and his Hall of Fame resume should attract at least a small handful of suitors.

One of those suitors could be the team he'll face this Sunday: The Los Angeles Chargers have lost back-to-back games to fall to 4-7, and some believe Brandon Staley could be the next head coach to lose his job.

If Belichick is serious about catching Don Shula on the NFL's all-time coaching wins list, the Chargers should appeal to him: They have an elite quarterback in Justin Herbert, plenty of offensive weapons and a pair of Pro Bowl pass rushers in Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa.

NBC San Diego's Derek Togerson, who has covered the Chargers for years, agrees Belichick would be a "good fit" for the franchise.

He also believes Belichick-to-Los Angeles is a pipe dream.

"I'm here to tell you he will never coach the Chargers, because the Chargers are not going to pay a coach," Togerson told host Tom Giles on NBC Sports Boston's The Gameplan.

"Look at (last) offseason: Sean Payton was basically begging to come here and coach the Chargers. He wanted to work with Justin Herbert and Keenan Allen -- you talk about generational talents on that side of the ball. He would even take a cut down to around $10 million a year. And the Chargers said, 'No, we're good. We're going to stick with Brandon Staley.'

"In fact, their last three head coaches, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn and Brandon Staley, combined make about $11.5 million a year. It's simply not going to happen."

A report from Sportico this week pegged Belichick's annual salary with the Patriots at $25 million, the highest in the NFL. If notoriously frugal Chargers owner Dean Spanos wasn't willing to hire Payton for $10 million per year, it's hard to see him paying up for Belichick, despite all of the Patriots coach's accomplishments.

Even if Spanos and Belichick somehow found common ground financially, however, Togerson believes there's another roadblock in the Chargers' pursuit of Belichick: Spanos' dynamic with Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

Togerson pointed out that Spanos is often "in Kraft's hip pocket" at the NFL Owners Meetings, seemingly "following (Kraft) around like a puppy dog."

"He has a lot of reverence for Robert Kraft," Togerson said of Spanos. "He will more or less do anything that Kraft tells him to or not to do. My guess is the last thing that Robert Kraft wants to have happen is for another Brady situation to transpire, where he goes somewhere else and wins the Super Bowl. Well, I think Kraft sees that Chargers roster and goes, 'The right coach could probably do some damage.'"

To avoid the humility of watching Belichick have success elsewhere -- less than five years after Tom Brady left New England to win a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Togerson believes Kraft would try to talk Spanos out of acquiring his head coach.

"I don't think he would advise Dean Spanos to make that hire," Togerson said of Kraft. "I think he'd say, 'Listen, we're letting him go because he's washed, he can't coach anymore. Look at what's happened. He drafted two kickers and three guards in the draft.'

"I think Kraft would really poison the well with Dean Spanos, telling him, 'Yeah, you don't want that. I'm doing you a favor, Deano. I'm telling you don't get this guy.' Because he knows if Bill comes here, he not just could, but very likely would have a whole lot of success."

Leave a comment:

• electricgold
    replied
    Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

agree on part 1 - blaming the mental condition of players maybe is relevant the first half of his first season, but its not an acceptable excuse for why year 3 is the worst season yet. I see a defense that is unsure because they are unsure - that is coaching. His scheme works on a white board but not on a real football field and he refuses to accept that 11 normal professional players have trouble executing it far too often. I've made tons of leadership and strategy changes over the years to address the reality that a large staff doesn't all operate as I am thinking they should. If all I did was keep blaming the people that report to me and I am responsible for, i am the failure.

Press conferences don't mean anything to me - most coaches talk pablum cliche bullshit in pressers, that doesn't indicate one way or another imo. Bellly is the best example of coach pressers being nothing but nondisclosure bullshit. His only goal in pressers is to say as close to nothing as possible.
    Year 3 is where the HC & his ways with culture are entirely his! Like the great Bruce Lee said be adaptable like water! Be like water! If a lot of our players understood this we'd be fine!

I just watched BB's press conference and he is direct & a matter of fact! Staley is emotional and obtuse! BB is definitely still sharp and has it, that's why I would hate to give up anything higher than a 2nd rounder for him, but would be extremely happy if he was the next HC if Harbaugh returns to Michigan! Since everyone knows with Herbert we should be the #1 coaching job this off season IF JH signs with another team, the Chargers in my mind will seal their reputation as nothing more than a team being run by nepotism babies! I'm hoping they clearly understand that fact going forward when they set out to hire the next GM & HC and bring in great football mind people like before because the alternative is unacceptable at the point???!

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yep however the mental aspect of the game is a direct extension of your HC! The players lean on the HC to get them over the hump during these games and sorry to say Staley just doesn't have it! He's proven at these press conferences that he is phoney and he's nice and calls everyone by name when they win, however when things are not going well he snaps and throws players under the bus! The only two candidates to be the next HC here should be Harbaugh 1 and BB 1a! If the Spanos don't want to pay a fair price for one of these individuals it's time to sell to Amazon period explanation point!
    agree on part 1 - blaming the mental condition of players maybe is relevant the first half of his first season, but its not an acceptable excuse for why year 3 is the worst season yet. I see a defense that is unsure because they are unsure - that is coaching. His scheme works on a white board but not on a real football field and he refuses to accept that 11 normal professional players have trouble executing it far too often. I've made tons of leadership and strategy changes over the years to address the reality that a large staff doesn't all operate as I am thinking they should. If all I did was keep blaming the people that report to me and I am responsible for, i am the failure.

Press conferences don't mean anything to me - most coaches talk pablum cliche bullshit in pressers, that doesn't indicate one way or another imo. Bellly is the best example of coach pressers being nothing but nondisclosure bullshit. His only goal in pressers is to say as close to nothing as possible.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Baobao View Post
    I think Staley is a decent coach with a lot of potential. I like his aggressiveness and general demeanor. The problem with this team is not bad coaching, lack of talent or injuries. It is all mental. Staley knows it and even mentioned it when he was first hired. The problem is "waiting for the other shoe to drop", or chargering. Every time things are going well, the players subconsciously think "what's going to happen to mess us up". Until someone can eradicate that mentality, this team is doomed to fail.
    Isn’t that a principal aspect of a good coach? Making the players believe they will win?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X