• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
    There are more players to keep than Herbert, Slater, and Salyer. If we hire a good head coach, and the better players with prime years remaining (Mike Williams, Derwin James, Joey Bosa,etc.) commit to him, they should be more than welcome to stay. If a player such as Bosa says something to the effect of, "Look, guys, this is my fourth head coach going into my ninth year with this organization. I've had enough. Please send me to San Francisco, Philadelphia, Buffalo, or Baltimore," tell him, "Thank you for everything you've done for this organization. We'll see if we can work out a deal with one of those teams."

We have talent. The coaching staff just isn't coming close to maximizing it. That includes Zion Johnson and Asante Samuel, two younger players who need a better coaching staff. Just look at what Jim Harbaugh did for Alex Smith's career. That's just one example of him transforming a perennial losing team into a serious contender for the Vince Lombardi trophy right away. Just imagine what Harbaugh or another good-to-great head coach can do with the talent on this team.

The only top players I think we should move on from are Keenan Allen (age) and Austin Ekeler (overworked running backs don't stay too productive into their late twenties). Nothing against those two. I appreciate the excellent years they have given us. I just think a sharp decline for each of them is on the way soon.

And please don't mistake my defense of the talent on this team as an argument to keep Telesco. I want him out of here more than anyone else who doesn't have Spanos as a last name. Telesco has the ability to pick good players early in the draft, but it's very clear that he has failed to construct a winning team with the necessary depth in the crucial areas. He's also been a total failure in hiring coaches.
    Leaving Herbert aside our two best players on offense maybe the team are Allen and Ekeler. But you want to trade them. Solid logic there.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Leaving Herbert aside our two best players on offense maybe the team are Allen and Ekeler. But you want to trade them. Solid logic there.
      I think the second best player on the team, maybe the best is actually Slater. But I think you are going for teh skilled positions

Allen -- for the right price - day 2 pick at least

Ekeler - I truly think the Chargers should think about paying his salary - even part of the 1.75m incentives - to get a better draft pick

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the second best player on the team, maybe the best is actually Slater. But I think you are going for teh skilled positions

Allen -- for the right price - day 2 pick at least

Ekeler - I truly think the Chargers should think about paying his salary - even part of the 1.75m incentives - to get a better draft pick
        Yeah Slater is up there. But with the way the team is now structured we don't have much of an offense without Ekeler and Allen. Allen is the only WR
        we have that can get open in a more or less consistent fashion. There is nobody on the current roster to replace Ekeler. QJ maybe a replacement for
        MW. But until he proves he can run routes and get open we should keep Allen.

I haven't looked at the situation with our cap. But I doubt Allen is tradable due to his huge salary that is due. If we cut him we create a lot of dead
        money for the year. We're in a similar situation with Bosa. For now I'm focused on the here and now. Do or die year for Staley.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Yeah Slater is up there. But with the way the team is now structured we don't have much of an offense without Ekeler and Allen. Allen is the only WR
          we have that can get open in a more or less consistent fashion. There is nobody on the current roster to replace Ekeler. QJ maybe a replacement for
          MW. But until he proves he can run routes and get open we should keep Allen.

I haven't looked at the situation with our cap. But I doubt Allen is tradable due to his huge salary that is due. If we cut him we create a lot of dead
          money for the year. We're in a similar situation with Bosa. For now I'm focused on the here and now. Do or die year for Staley.
          Actually, in some ways, Williams, Allen, Bosa and Mack are easy to trade this year - except for the risk of injury for next year. But for this year, the cap hits for the team trading for them make them available for every team - unlike the NBA> Granted, if they get hurt - thats where next years dollars come in

As far as dead cap hits, those are there no matter what. But I agree, if they are trading players, some team will really have to pay for Allen

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Uh, did you even pay attention this offseason? Ekeler wasn't extended. What makes you think they'll do it when he's 29 next offseason? I have news for you...they won't, because even they aren't that stupid.

Keenan's contract was restructured, so his cap number is over $34,000,000 in 2024. You want a 32-year-old receiver to take up that much cap space? I have news for you there, too... he's also gone after this season.

​​​​​​So, yeah, tell me what your "solid logic" is in moving forward with Allen and Ekeler in 2024.

​​​​​​

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Uh, did you even pay attention this offseason? Ekeler wasn't extended. What makes you think they'll do it when he's 29 next offseason? I have news for you...they won't, because even they aren't that stupid.

Keenan's contract was restructured, so his cap number is over $34,000,000 in 2024. You want a 32-year-old receiver to take up that much cap space? I have news for you there, too... he's also gone after this season.

​​​​​​So, yeah, tell me what your "solid logic" is in moving forward with Allen and Ekeler in 2024.

​​​​​​
              Cutting Allen will create $11M in dead cap. If you try to trade him it will cost the team getting him $34M. If he's still good this year we can restructure again by extending him.
              So we either take the $11M in dead cap and he becomes a FA or we restructure him via an extension.

We currently do not have a replacement for Ekeler. The draft is one possibility the other is to resign him. He tested the FA market and came up empty. Make him a competitive
              offer.

In any case losing both with no viable replacement is not an option. So you think Davis and QJ are ready for prime time? I don't. Kelly at starting RB? Still don't think so.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Cutting Allen will create $11M in dead cap. If you try to trade him it will cost the team getting him $34M. If he's still good this year we can restructure again by extending him.
                So we either take the $11M in dead cap and he becomes a FA or we restructure him via an extension.

We currently do not have a replacement for Ekeler. The draft is one possibility the other is to resign him. He tested the FA market and came up empty. Make him a competitive
                offer.

In any case losing both with no viable replacement is not an option. So you think Davis and QJ are ready for prime time? I don't. Kelly at starting RB? Still don't think so.
                If the team is out of the playoffs by the trade deadline, there is no reason not to try and trade these players because the size of the contracts. Some are free agents and some will be released because of the contracts. Soooooo, why not try and get something for them instead of nothing?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

If the team is out of the playoffs by the trade deadline, there is no reason not to try and trade these players because the size of the contracts. Some are free agents and some will be released because of the contracts. Soooooo, why not try and get something for them instead of nothing?
                  Bosa's contract is pretty big. You'd have to find a team willing to take it on. Mack is probably too old to bring in much and his contract is also pricey.
                  You could trade Ekeler, but the team getting him for only this year, then he'd be a FA unless they sign him to a contract. So we'll see how the Chargersplay it out. Herbert's cap hit is only $19M for next year, so we'd have one more year to play with these guys at huge salaries before we start hitting the cap wall.
                  I think the question becomes are we contenders with them or do we go for a reset.

In either case we need to hit it big in the draft. We are getting long in the tooth with our so called stars.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Sounds like a decent plan to me. I think think they used the first round pick on a WR this year because they plan to get rid of either KA or Mdub. So why not trade one of them as you say above.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

offer.

I said nothing about trading them now. I was talking about after a new head coach is hired, which will be 2024 at the earliest.

Yes, I do think Quentin Johnston should be ready by 2024. You don't spend a first-round pick on a wide receiver with the thought that you won't start him until his third year.

That's an awful idea with Allen. Extend him so we can eat more money in the future? NOT HAPPENING. The team is moving forward with Johnston, Mike Williams, and Joshua Palmer in 2024, as it should. It's not going to spend more big money on a 32-year-old wide receiver.

What's a competitive offer for Ekeler? How long of a contract for how much money do you think is a good idea to spend on a 29-year-old (that will be his age in 2024) running back who was out last week and may sit again this coming Sunday?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

I said nothing about trading them now. I was talking about after a new head coach is hired, which will be 2024 at the earliest.

Yes, I do think Quentin Johnston should be ready by 2024. You don't spend a first-round pick on a wide receiver with the thought that you won't start him until his third year.

That's an awful idea with Allen. Extend him so we can eat more money in the future? NOT HAPPENING. The team is moving forward with Johnston, Mike Williams, and Joshua Palmer in 2024, as it should. It's not going to spend more big money on a 32-year-old wide receiver.

What's a competitive offer for Ekeler? How long of a contract for how much money do you think is a good idea to spend on a 29-year-old (that will be his age in 2024) running back who was out last week and may sit again this coming Sunday?
                        With Allen, you restructure so he gets his money owed $34M but extended by 2 or 3 years so he retires a Charger. It helps us with the cap and you keep the only WR we have that gets open.
                        Which team is going to take over his $34M owed without a restructure? Maybe we take a hit. Mack's situation is even more dire. He's owed $37M that will be the cap hit if we don't do
                        anything. We can lower that number by making him a post June cut. But it doesn't help the cash situation. How do you trade such a guy? Bosa is younger and a bit easier to trade.

The thought with QJ is correct. But not sure he's going to replace Allen. Personally in my opinion they took the wrong guy. Williams is one catch away from getting dinged up and missing
                        time. He's a big downfield target and a nightmare for shorter DBs. But he gets no separation and can't be relied on. Still doesn't run the whole route tree. Palmer is a nice backup.
                        So in my humble opinion if Allen is gone we'd be smart to bring in more weapons for Herbert. The guys you mentioned are not going to cut it.

For Ekeler $8M should do it. With the way the market is he's not getting more. He'll make close to $8M this year if he hits his performance targets. I don't think you give Eck more than
                        a 2 year contract, probably with incentives like they did this year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You have a defensive minded coach brought in to fix a defense that he just can't seem to fix no matter what. That's a problem. We consistently lose to all the better teams in the NFL and we look stupid doing it. That's a problem. You can't have a defense that works good for 1-2 quarters per game and then just sucks due to breakdowns. That's a problem. Having a bad two minute drill on offense that breaks down all the time. That's a problem.
                          I am despondent over Staley’s D … that doesn’t make Payton a solution but I wasn’t even arguing if he is or isn’t. All i noted was you said it’d take Payton 3 years and you seemed to say that would be just fine. Staley has had 2 years. Just counting, nothing more. Never mind. I’m not here to fight for the honor of Staley’s defensive performance the first 2 weeks. Fuck that, he needs to flip this shit fast.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X