• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Staley popping off about the "mood" after 2 games already is very telling.

This guy is done.

Only 11% of teams since 1990 have made the playoffs after starting 0-2, although I believe the Bengals did it last year.

Add to that the immense pressure of this upcoming game where neither team wants to go 0-3.

Is Staley that guy to buck this massive historical trend?

Is Herbert?
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Its just not this year - its been his 35 games as Head coach and Herberts 52 starts

The defense is the problem. They are paying a boat load of money and those guys don't produce jack squat! Mack is over the hill; Bosa is over-rated; JC Jackson has been hurt and a terrible fit; now Kendricks is hurt; SJD -- he played better next to Aaron Donald; Derwin is good but
      its just an over-rated group of players

its a bunch of parts that aren't cohesive
      Well it's everything.

Staley's coaching. Herbert has not been the hero we envisioned. At least not yet. And the defense's problems are well chronicled.

Look, I'll give them some credit - they went big last year and took a swing. It hasn't worked out and barring some miraculous turn around, people are getting fired. It's the cycle of life in the NFL.

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        Staley popping off about the "mood" after 2 games already is very telling.

This guy is done.

Only 11% of teams since 1990 have made the playoffs after starting 0-2, although I believe the Bengals did it last year.

Add to that the immense pressure of this upcoming game where neither team wants to go 0-3.

Is Staley that guy to buck this massive historical trend?

Is Herbert?
        I'm not much of a fan of this current HC but I think it's too soon to call it a season at 0-2. If the team goes 0-4, 1-5 then yea it's pretty much done but not right now with a 17 game schedule and neither of the 2 losses being a division game. Top spot in AFCW is 1-1 right now.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I'm not much of a fan of this current HC but I think it's too soon to call it a season at 0-2. If the team goes 0-4, 1-5 then yea it's pretty much done but not right now with a 17 game schedule and neither of the 2 losses being a division game. Top spot in AFCW is 1-1 right now.

I agree but 11% since 1990 is not a small sample size, either. And the hard part of the schedule (basically every remaining game) is coming up.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

This is were I'm at as well. If the Chargers win the next two the season shapes up much more promising, even with playing Dallas in their 5th game of the season. Both losses were in the conference, which is not ideal, but at least - as you note - they are not division losses.

But it's a long season and maybe worth noting that both 2-0 teams in the AFC - Miami and Balt - have very injury-prone QBs who heretofore have been able to play full seasons. The other AFC contenders - Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Jax? - are 1-1 or 0-2.

Right now the Bolts are one game out of first in the AFC West and have yet to play a division game. So 0-2 in itself is not a disaster.
            Last edited by Velo; 09-20-2023, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I agree but 11% since 1990 is not a small sample size, either. And the hard part of the schedule (basically every remaining game) is coming up.

I hear you but there is a big difference that doesn't get accounted for in those stats from 1990 until now.
                There is now 17 games in a season and there are now 7 seeds for the playoffs instead of 6.

Just look at last season, there are some not so great teams in the hunt way longer than they used to be with 3 or 4 mediocre teams fighting it out for seed 7.

It used to be an outlier that a team in a trash division might sneak in at 8-8 every now and then, now with 17 games and 7 seeds there are a number of not so good teams still in the hunt in week 17,18 regularly.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Nobody cares about big salaries when the players produce at least in the neighborhood of their paycheck. Keenan is doing that. Remains to be seen with Bosa, MW and Mack. JCJ was a total waste.
                  Thats not what I am reading many here want to gut the team. Hell one poster wants to cut Herbert.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

I hear you but there is a big difference that doesn't get accounted for in those stats from 1990 until now.
                    There is now 17 games in a season and there are now 7 seeds for the playoffs instead of 6.

Just look at last season, there are some not so great teams in the hunt way longer than they used to be with 3 or 4 mediocre teams fighting it out for seed 7.

It used to be an outlier that a team in a trash division might sneak in at 8-8 every now and then, now with 17 games and 7 seeds there are a number of not so good teams still in the hunt in week 17,18 regularly.
                    You are not supposed to dig that deep into the statistics. You are supposed to just take it on face value, oh and that Herbert needs to be cut.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      This is were I'm at as well. If the Chargers win the next two the season shapes up much more promising, even with playing Dallas in their 5th game of the season. Both losses were in the conference, which is not ideal, but at least - as you note - they are not division losses.

But it's a long season and maybe worth noting that both 2-0 teams in the AFC - Miami and Balt - have very injury-prone QBs who heretofore have been able to play full seasons. The other AFC contenders - Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Jax? - are 1-1 or 0-2.

Right now the Bolts are one game out of first in the AFC West and have yet to play a division game. So 0-2 in itself is not a disaster.
                      Until the Titanic hit the iceberg, it still wasn't quite a disaster...

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Until the Titanic hit the iceberg, it still wasn't quite a disaster...
                        The Titanic disaster was caused by the hubris of the captain, who went down with his ship.

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Yea, it's gotten pretty ridiculous.

If the current HC is let go later this season I think one of his biggest mistakes was not hiring a qualified DC and giving up play-calling duties. Some HC's can handle both responsibilities and some can't do both well.

However, if they are going to stick with this HC this year I think it would be a good idea to hire a defensive consultant to help out on that side of the ball like the Eagles did with Fangio last season.

Bringing in a guy like Wade Phillips as a consultant would probably help to get a fresh set of experienced eyes on the situation and use of personnel would be a start.

Comment

Working...
                          X