First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I was there at the game and this is precisely what I saw, all points.
    I still want to move on if we can get a Harbaugh or Belechick, but Staley has his value and unfortunately that's lost on many.
    I haven't posted much since the loss because it's been hard to think about the direction of this disappointing season and frankly I'm hella busy too.

Still bolting up on Sunday morning though, there will be a Chargers gathering, pregame 9am on Highland street in National City in San Diego.
    Homefield San Diego and
    lots of Charger clubs that show up every home game at the Pink lot in Sofi will be there.

Respect.
    If you were there you know that Beckham is a shadow of his former self, Bateman didn’t do much and I don’t think Agholar had a single catch. They were missing their #1 weapon in passing game in the TE. Flowers hurt us but that’s about it. Lamar wasn’t running wild. Their shifty back hurt us.

what killed us is turnovers and OL breakdowns. That’s it.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by Critty View Post

No. Let the man cook his meal and live with the results.

Starting 3 CBs vs Ravens. 2nd Rd pick, 7th Rd and udfa.
    Samuel Jr
    Leonard
    Bassey

Ravens WRs they were going up against all former 1st Rd picks.
    ​​​​​​Beckham Jr
    Flowers
    Batemon
    Agholor

I was expecting Ravens to destroy Chargers. Didn't happen. But the personnel at CB isn't great. Bosa missing Linsley missing, Mike Williams missing, JCJ money wasted.

Staley lost Sunday night. But he didn't lose because he was out coached by Ravens HC. Baltimore have a better roster and more play makers. And they have been a consistent team for years. They have #1 record in AFC right now and Chargers who have some health and roster issues made it a game anyway. With Leonard and Bassey out there vs that fire power of the Ravens. No moral victory but shows me they haven't quit and his move to start Leonard and Bassey worked pretty well.

If I see the team quit. Make tons of penalties. Then I will stop supporting this HC.
    I was there at the game and this is precisely what I saw, all points.
    I still want to move on if we can get a Harbaugh or Belechick, but Staley has his value and unfortunately that's lost on many.
    I haven't posted much since the loss because it's been hard to think about the direction of this disappointing season and frankly I'm hella busy too.

Still bolting up on Sunday morning though, there will be a Chargers gathering, pregame 9am on Highland street in National City in San Diego.
    Homefield San Diego and
    lots of Charger clubs that show up every home game at the Pink lot in Sofi will be there.

Respect.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

He's already been fired once by the Spanos, does he want to go for the record?
    Dude is sitting home making millions! Doubt is not going to come back and work for Spanos again.

Leave a comment:

• NOrvMeNow
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
    Frank Reich.

He fits what the Spanos’ will perceive as being the traits the media will expect for the new HC and the opposite of Staley— he’s older (60), has HC experience, offensive coach, and won a Super Bowl as an OC.

Plus he should come cheap, will be grateful and listen to those above him, and not be desired by a more attractive team.
    He's already been fired once by the Spanos, does he want to go for the record?

Leave a comment:

• Berserker76
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
    Frank Reich.

He fits what the Spanos’ will perceive as being the traits the media will expect for the new HC and the opposite of Staley— he’s older (60), has HC experience, offensive coach, and won a Super Bowl as an OC.

Plus he should come cheap, will be grateful and listen to those above him, and not be desired by a more attractive team.
    Please, no.

Leave a comment:

• PhilaBoltster
    replied
    Frank Reich.

Leave a comment:

• northerner
    replied
    Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Okay, let's make some comparisons about underachieving:

Did the 2021 Las Vegas Raiders have more talent than the Chargers in Staley's first year?
    It's easy to point out deficiencies on the 2020 Chargers, but God Almighty, that Raider roster was hot garbage in so many units.

The shaky, easily rattled Derek Carr as QB, an Oline that wouldn't cut mustard in the SEC, a defense that was Max Crosby, Charger rejects and hobos of all stripes.

Staley underachieved big time his first year by losing out to them.

This year at 4 - 7? How many healthy star quarterbacks are on teams with 360 % winning percentages? We are approaching another Staley milestone.
    it is this year that is the real disaster. i was still ok with Staley until this year. growing pains in the first two years, but he never turned the corner (in fact, he ran the other way).

Leave a comment:

• Berserker76
    replied

It's all circumstances. No HC has been super successful in past decade. So it's hard for me to say, this a really talented team that GM Telesco constructed but his coaches are completely underachieving.

I've never been a fan of how Telesco constructed the roster.
    ​​​​​​Tillery cut, JCJ traded, Davis benched. Bosa and Williams hurt again. Pipkins back up quality player at best paid to start at RT.
    Etc., etc...

In off season I posted to trade Bosa and M.Williams as I felt they were too injury prone. Bosa was also on my trade list because of his playoff meltdown. Williams make so many contested catches and jump balls that he is almost certain to get injured. I'm not paying for car that will be in the shop and not on the road.

So I was really wanted them to trade Bosa, Williams. So I first guessed that getting something for these 2 players....like extra draft picks and free up cap space would be a really good move. Because I really did think how does having 50million of talent on IR help win games. Predictable.

And I wanted Joey Porter Jr CB because CB needed more talent or Bijan Robinson because the RB room needed much more talent and he was clearly a stud RB. QJ is talented and probably will become a every good WR2 down the Rd. But how does that help win this year. Mostly I want them to draft OL/DL or CB in Rd 1 every year while they have Herbert. Rds 2-7 they can get other positions. But should always go BPA. Never PON.

I think Staley benching Davis 25mil. Cut Tillery last year. Cut JCJ this year is great. It shows to me that Brandon is creating a culture that it doesn't matter if you are paid well and think you are a starter. You still better earn it or you will get cut or benched. Telesco money spent is not on the field. Which is another indication that Telesco has failed to do his job well. His career record is a losing one and Tom just can't seem to get the right chef to cook his meal.. well if your high priced lobster and caviar is rotten and useless and was tossed in the garbage then getting a new chef doesn't fix that problem of too many swing and miss on your grocery shopping for a decade.

​​​​​​I seriously doubt they keep Staley and make him GM as well. But I would like to see it. It certainly would be different than they have ever done. If the conventional way hasn't worked. Why not change things up.

I would not rub in face if Staley succeeded. I would more likely just gain more confidence in my overall opinion that it's a players league, a QB driven league. And your coach needs play makers, not JAGs. Parcells called it a talent acquisition league. KC does have a great HC, but they were 12-4 with A.Smith before trading all the way up for Mahomes. Chargers would never do that. I wanted them to draft Lamar Jackson even though Rivers was still playing well and a had a few good years left. KC also has the best TE in league. Traded Hill and chose instead to invest that money in OL. They have one of the best OL in the league for Mahomes to play behind. It's not an accident. They built that roster. Telesco would have paid Hill and the OL would be below avg with JAGs. And Mahomes would get his ribs injured like Herbert.

Staley, in my view would build a much better roster than Telesco. Brandon got Mack. And he said when he was hired that we have to be a line of scrimmage team. And his 1st pick was Slater-OT and his first free agent was Linsley-OC.
    The special teams was also fixed, finally. And I like that he says east coast trips and Chargering are myths. He is speaking those things out of existence. I'm all in with Staley. Too much good to throw the baby out with the bathwater for me. But Telesco can be given the boot.
    Critty, don't you think that Staley's lack of common sense in implementing a broken defensive scheme might bleed over into his roll as a GM? How is our line-of-scrimmage team doing these days? Both our Dline and Oline are certainly nothing to write home about. Staley may be a good coach or GM one day, if he learns that arrogance and stubbornness are not highly valued traits to have. I do wish him well, just as long as he's not here.

Leave a comment:

• NOrvMeNow
    replied

It's all circumstances. No HC has been super successful in past decade. So it's hard for me to say, this a really talented team that GM Telesco constructed but his coaches are completely underachieving.

I've never been a fan of how Telesco constructed the roster.
    ​​​​​​Tillery cut, JCJ traded, Davis benched. Bosa and Williams hurt again. Pipkins back up quality player at best paid to start at RT.
    Etc., etc...
    Okay, let's make some comparisons about underachieving:

Did the 2021 Las Vegas Raiders have more talent than the Chargers in Staley's first year?
    It's easy to point out deficiencies on the 2020 Chargers, but God Almighty, that Raider roster was hot garbage in so many units.

The shaky, easily rattled Derek Carr as QB, an Oline that wouldn't cut mustard in the SEC, a defense that was Max Crosby, Charger rejects and hobos of all stripes.

Staley underachieved big time his first year by losing out to them.

This year at 4 - 7? How many healthy star quarterbacks are on teams with 360 % winning percentages? We are approaching another Staley milestone.

Leave a comment:

• NOrvMeNow
    replied
    Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Ben Johnson. He is 37. Been in the NFL about 10 years but a lot of it was quality control or "assistant to the assistant" position coach. Been a full fledged assistant coach since 2018. Been an OC for 1.5 seasons. His experience is with the Lions and Dolphins only. He was quality control (which is bottom rung) offensive assistant when Cambell first hired him

Here is what all that tells me:
    - He has not learned under a great HC how to be a HC or how a great organization is run (His HCs were Mike Sherman, Adam Gase, Joe Philburn and now Dan Campbell, who may be great in the long run, don't know)
    - He has pretty limited coaching experience and very limited OC experience to draw on

- His trajectory was flat, slightly up, down, and then way up
    - He has no experience working with the rest of the team, being an executive, working with a front office, and all the organizational things a HC has to tend to
    - He likely (don't know) has a limited network of assistants to come with him and the Chargers need strong coordinators
    - Seems a lead pipe cinch he will call the plays as a HC

I see a guy who may be a great HC some day but who is not ready for it. Being a whiz is not enough. I see the offensive version of Brandon Staley. I see three years of hope followed by misery followed by a 4th year firing if Bolts go this way. And I see half to 2/3 of Herbert's career wasted. No thanks. Not a good fit for my team right now.

TG
    All are good points, but being an OC mentored by Dan Campbell, or Adam Gase is not good.

Its worked out well for him so far.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty2SLO
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Critty really doubling down on a hideous take to begin with
    Agreed . . . . . . . . . not much else to say really

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    I like this guy. Former NFL scout. Knows his stuff, no-nonsense.

When Jim Harbaugh shows up places, they immediately improve....and they immediately win pretty big...relative to 98 percent of other coaches in college and pro, he is better than everyone else....Staley, Lynn, McCoy - recycling different versions of mediocre...Harbaugh would not just immediately give you credibility, but he'd immediately take you to another level.

Jim Harbaugh gives Chargers the best chance to compete for Super Bowl | 3 & Out Mailbag

Leave a comment:

Working...
X