• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MagicMamba88
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Two-time Super Bowl champion/’Green Light’ podcast host Chris Long tells Rich Eisen why it’s time for the Los Angeles Chargers to move on from embattled head...

Comment

• el_jefe999
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

I've been a long time hold out on calling for coaches head but it is time; the comments about how the play calling and scheme are all perfect and it's just execution shows someone that is out of their depth. I don't know if this is true but I heard 5 years ago Staley was literally a blogger talking about NFL defenses.

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

Knew Staley was a fraud mid-way through his 1st year. Spanos and TT special. Feel so bad for us fans and JH#10

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes and no. Is it Staley's fault ASJ Made a stupid play on 3rd and 20? ASJ hasn't been very consistent. He or Davis hasn't been consistent.

Maybe Leonard can be better? Can't hurt. Maybe he moves Alohi to SS/Star/LB, and Woods to FS?

I doubt he moves Derwin but I don't mind sending a message....even to Derwin. Play better!
          I had posted the only tool is the bench. If you tell them that is your assignment. If you teach get over them so you can push them back into the defense. And then your player takes a horrible angle and gives them the edge. And you know your not crazy. You think I just showed you this..get over them so you can push them back into the defense. You trailed and took a bad angle. Okay. There is open competition for jobs.

The run by Reed untouched was a complete fail by one player..if that player DOES HIS JOB, he easily helps prevent the big play and TD.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
            Knew Staley was a fraud mid-way through his 1st year. Spanos and TT special. Feel so bad for us fans and JH#10
            He hasn’t worked out. That is for sure. But he had the eye of a lot of teams and front offices as a potential head coach. And McVay hired him to a very important position on a superbowl contending team. Not sure he is a fraud. He just is not ready and needs to go
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

He hasn’t worked out. That is for sure. But he had the eye of a lot of teams and front offices as a potential head coach. And McVay hired him to a very important position on a superbowl contending team. Not sure he is a fraud. He just is not ready and needs to go
              Not a fraud per se, but definitely not an alpha CEO type who has presence and moxxy, or a leader of men in short -- potentially a perpetual position coach/coordinator only. He just doesn't have "it" at this point, and he may need to go back to being a DC somewhere for several years before given another opportunity at an HC position. Perhaps by then, he'll be wiser and less stubborn in his approach.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post
                From a different angle and just for conversation sake, Brandon Staley and this dumpster fire is just "Good TV" right now. What is more intriguing in the NFL than Brandon Staley and if he is gone or not. And who might be his replacement be if he isn't here anymore.

Also as some had mentioned Belichick had low key signed a contract extention before the year that is very lucrative and very short; rumor was 23 and 24 seasons only. So there would be a break up fee somehwere in there, most likely will cost draft picks which in this years draft is not a very good option. Imo this year's draft is pretty stack with talent at a certain high priority positions, but maybe not some much DL though.

That said Jim Harbaugh might have a buy-out clause in his contract but that would only evolve money, draft pick is not in the realm of possibility. Therefore, if you have to pay a break up fee anyways, the one without draft pick compensations just become a much more logical option.
                I don’t know Harbaugh’s contract but I don’t see how a college can hold any leverage over an NFL team regarding hiring their employees. NFL doesn’t have to pay UM shit to hire an employee. I would hope Harbaugh’s lawyers didn’t leave language in his contract saying he will personally pay them money if he stops working for them. Buy-out clauses more often are a min guarantee to pay the employee to leave early (eg fire someone).

Anyone know any facts?
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Staley had limited experience in the NFL; maybe 6 years in college. But he had one year as a DC with very good players on it - including the DPOY in Aaron Donald

GMs fall in love with these coordinators of the hot team without realizing maybe they need to show what happens when they aren't successful. Staley didn't come into a situation and build up the defense . Wade Phillips built up that defense and Staley walked into.

I have no idea if the Chargers are going to fire Staley or not But if they do and they look for a head coach - maybe stay away from the Ben Johnsons of the world, the Eagles DC - -they both walked into good situations that just needed tweaking, in Ben Johnsons case. The Eagles DC, Desai, doing well but Gannon had them pretty good last year.

Find a coordinator that had to build something up and than had succcess. Or got kicked in teh gonads a bit and came back to have success

Comment

• C'monchargers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know Harbaugh’s contract but I don’t see how a college can hold any leverage over an NFL team regarding hiring their employees. NFL doesn’t have to pay UM shit to hire an employee. I would hope Harbaugh’s lawyers didn’t leave language in his contract saying he will personally pay them money if he stops working for them. Buy-out clauses more often are a min guarantee to pay the employee to leave early (eg fire someone).

Anyone know any facts?
                    Ok so you weren't sure but you then make a firm, definitive statement like UM wasn't owed shit for losing a coach. Then you proceed to hope his lawyers didn't leave the language. And then you ask for facts. Don't you think your order of coming to an answer is a little backward. Do you think Harbaugh's agent is going to walk in the room and agree to a zero break up?? Or Michigan's lawyer would ask for zero break up for that matter?

For what its worth, a contract is a mutual agreement; both side would have to agree. In general a college coach's contract offers 50%-75% guarantee for the coach and 25%-50% for the university. That figure is determine by the deferred total which is base + supplemental. Harbaugh is making $7.6M right now total annually, one would at least assume the break out fee would be around the agreed percentage of the remaining $22.8M of his remaining salary.

PS: Jimbo Fisher was paid $76M for a contract buyout of his original 146 millions. That's about 50% of the total retention cost left on the contract.
                    Last edited by C'monchargers; 11-21-2023, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Staley’s remarks that his scheme is perfect and the problem is execution is laughable.

Look at Kelce’s stats in the first half of the last Chiefs game versus the second half. The first half, Kelce was having a career game as he was wide open on every play.

Staley made adjustments in the second half and they were able to cover Kelce and stop the bloodshed.

Staley had a week to prepare his Kelce defense and obviously the first half scheme was a disaster.

The guy is in over his head. Reset now buy firing him.

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Interesting watch

🚀 Unlock the secrets behind Brandon Staley's revolutionary Pattern-Match Defense! In this video, we delve deep into the intricacies of Staley's defensive ge...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

Ok so you weren't sure but you then make a firm, definitive statement like UM wasn't owed shit for losing a coach. Then you proceed to hope his lawyers didn't leave the language. And then you ask for facts. Don't you think your order of coming to an answer is a little backward. Do you think Harbaugh's agent is going to walk in the room and agree to a zero break up?? Or Michigan's lawyer would ask for zero break up for that matter?

For what its worth, a contract is a mutual agreement; both side would have to agree. In general a college coach's contract offers 50%-75% guarantee for the coach and 25%-50% for the university. That figure is determine by the deferred total which is base + supplemental. Harbaugh is making $7.6M right now total annually, one would at least assume the break out fee would be around the agreed percentage of the remaining $22.8M of his remaining salary.

PS: Jimbo Fisher was paid $76M for a contract buyout of his original 146 millions. That's about 50% of the total retention cost left on the contract.
                          WTF are you talking about - I said i don't know. I made no definitive statement of any kind about his contract with UM, get a grip brother. Jimbo's payout is a payout I understand, its common albeit his is ridiculously large.

I haven't ever seen an employee pay past wages back to the University just to be able to quit. I asked if anyone knows any facts as obviously you don't know shit either and you go all Karate Kid on me.

I am confident the NFL, eg any team, doesn't have to give UM anything ever, they have no relationship or obligation to UM. They are not required to give a shit if their employee quits. if there is a clause in Harbaugh's contract that says he personally has to pay back prior salary to leave, lets see it? That would be very unusual for any employee of any company, ever. I've never been a D1 HC but I've worked alot, hired alot, fired alot, had alot of people resign for new opportunities, etc etc. I've never once heard of an employee paying his company to leave ever. I have seen non-compete clauses but those are generally very difficult for the past employer to ever enforce.

Again, I said I don't know about his contract.

how about this - do you have a single example of a coach ever leaving a University to go to the NFL and having to pay the University to quit? I've never heard of it but I've never looked for it - go ahead and teach me, swami.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X