Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Do you have amnesia? Lombardi has admitted his play calling has been too conservative.
    I don't think he means it's too conservative overall. I think he's saying he sometimes calls for a play (or plays) that are too conservative. I'm not exactly a fan of Lombardi's but I sure don't think he's terrible. I've always thought if I pretty much know what the next play is, the OC is not very good. I don't think I'm always guessing right with Lombardi so I think that makes him decent at play calling. I wish he'd keep the pedal to the metal in the second half and I think he's coming around to that way of thinking now. We shall see.

If he does start to be aggressive in the second half, you need to start thinking about who you gripe about next.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Do you have amnesia? Lombardi has admitted his play calling has been too conservative.
      The funny thing is one of the times he said that was the game after Herbert hurt his ribs and he was trying to protect him. The same people that complained he shouldn’t have played also complained about the play calling designed to protect him.

Every single OC thinks the same thing when a play doesn’t work. Lombardi is just candid in the press. The haters, of course, jump on this.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

I do like the transparencey from Staley and the other coaches.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

Do you have amnesia? Is this the Lombardi thread?

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

It's a work in progress, lets complain, chill, get anxious, angry, happy but lets wait until the end of season, I think we will end up 12-5 with a playoff spot.

This team is coming together slowly as the season goes, the key is this stretch of games, so far so good.

And I'll give you my .02 cents on the 4th down call, to me it was a balls of brass decision putting his trust and confidence on the team, the team simply didnt execute, and the team should learn from this, "Coach expected me to deliver and I didn't, I wont let him down next time..." That should be the thought.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
              I would think the die hard trenchers and the JH10 superfans would love Staley. He said priority 1 is being a line of scrimmage team and building a line for Herbert to succeed. And he is doing exactly that. 2 drafts and Rd1 is premium beef both times. And he upgraded his DL as well in free agency and spent a Rd2 pick for Mack. This type of plan to add premium talent to line of scrimmage absolutely helps Justin chances of winning a Superbowl under Brandon Staley.

Nitpicking his aggressive style is completely fair.
              But i am a big fan of him being different when the entire football world is saying fold, And he pushes the chips all in and says No, stop us, we are going to end the game now with the ball in our hands.

Scared money makes no money.
              Scared HCs win no Superbowls.
              He's been the head coach when we've made these moves, and yet we got our asses kicked at the line of scrimmage against Jacksonville, and last week we almost (should have) blown a victory against Cleveland, which rushed for 213 yards against us. Last week's win was the first time we had a 100-yard rusher in over a year.

Thus far I am not seeing a tougher team at the line of scrimmage under Staley.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

I just want to make it clear I don't want this, as I can see it being just like Jimmy Johnson with the Miami Dolphins, but I do believe Sean Payton, if he actually desires to return to the NFL, would be crazy to not want to coach Justin Herbert.

One possibility for Sean Payton?

The Chargers escaped the Cleveland Browns last week despite another ultra-aggressive fourth-down call by Coach Brandon Staley that went awry and despite Staley’s defense getting shredded again. (The unit ranks 27th in expected points added, according to TruMedia.)

Los Angeles again has been beset by injuries, but when healthy this roster is held in high regard, and a frugal ownership group made a significant financial commitment in the offseason. And that’s before star quarterback Justin Herbert becomes eligible for a contract extension in January. That is a roundabout way of saying, should Year 2 with Staley not provide an acceptable outcome, owner Dean Spanos could have his pick of potential replacements — including former Super Bowl winner and longtime offensive guru Sean Payton.

“That’s the job I think Sean really wants,” said one longtime NFL personnel executive who has worked with Payton in the past. “Spanos doesn’t like to pay his coaches, but once your quarterback starts making $50 million a year, you’re really going to be cheap about your head coach? Sean loves living in Southern California. You’ve got Herbert and some other blue-chip players. That’s the fit.”

NFL insiders who have watched the Broncos closely paint a bleak picture of their game-day operations, offensive scheme and identity,

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                  I just want to make it clear I don't want this, as I can see it being just like Jimmy Johnson with the Miami Dolphins, but I do believe Sean Payton, if he actually desires to return to the NFL, would be crazy to not want to coach Justin Herbert.

One possibility for Sean Payton?

The Chargers escaped the Cleveland Browns last week despite another ultra-aggressive fourth-down call by Coach Brandon Staley that went awry and despite Staley’s defense getting shredded again. (The unit ranks 27th in expected points added, according to TruMedia.)

Los Angeles again has been beset by injuries, but when healthy this roster is held in high regard, and a frugal ownership group made a significant financial commitment in the offseason. And that’s before star quarterback Justin Herbert becomes eligible for a contract extension in January. That is a roundabout way of saying, should Year 2 with Staley not provide an acceptable outcome, owner Dean Spanos could have his pick of potential replacements — including former Super Bowl winner and longtime offensive guru Sean Payton.

“That’s the job I think Sean really wants,” said one longtime NFL personnel executive who has worked with Payton in the past. “Spanos doesn’t like to pay his coaches, but once your quarterback starts making $50 million a year, you’re really going to be cheap about your head coach? Sean loves living in Southern California. You’ve got Herbert and some other blue-chip players. That’s the fit.”
                  Dont care whats been said. Theres always wrong speculation and IMO, there is a 1% chance that Spanos fires Staley to hire Sean Payton.

So im saying theres a chance but its very, very slim. Just not his style as he is frugal when it comes to HC's.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Dont care whats been said. Theres always wrong speculation and IMO, there is a 1% chance that Spanos fires Staley to hire Sean Payton.

So im saying theres a chance but its very, very slim. Just not his style as he is frugal when it comes to HC's.
                    I expect we make the playoffs this year and see no way Staley is fired if that happens.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Try to avoid the name calling please.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We also have to trade first round picks to get him.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We also have to trade first round picks to get him.
                          The most important person in your football organization is the HC.

Comment

Working...
                          X