• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryAW
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Hopkins is definitely a huge upgrade over what we had, without question, and we have more immediate concerns. But, to play Devil's Advocate, the Bengals' "rookie" was 12 - 14 at 50+ yard FGs this year, including the postseason. In his 8-year career, Hopkins is 15 - 30 at 50+ FGs, and was 1 - 3 this year. If Hopkins had been the Bengals' kicker instead of McPherson, the Bengals would be watching the SB like the rest of us and not playing in it. I realize kicker is not a priority this year, but we do need to upgrade at some point-in-time IMHO.

I don't post a lot because I had a stroke. As a result I have Aphasia (problems writing and speaking) and blurred vision. If I could see, I could fix the problems. So, if I make mistakes, please overlook them. I was a Paralegal in the Navy for 20 years and these issues couldn't be more frustrating for me. I used to clean up lawyers' mistakes. I can easily read posts, but the size of the "composing window" fonts is an issue.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
      Hopkins is the best kicker we’ve had in a long time. We have plenty of other spots to upgrade. I’d roll with Hopkins but replace Long.
      If we can find a way to upgrade Hopkins, then sure go for it. Especially since he can’t hit anything over 50. But otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

Comment

• LarryAW
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
        I think it does.
        And for all the analytics and arguments, it is basically a toss up as to which is the better strategy. Within a few percentage points of one being better than the other.

Do you realize each team only had 10 possessions in this game during regulation time? Each possession is extremely valuable. Each team scored 2.9 points per possession in this game. Converting a 4th down as opposed to punting is like creating a turnover. I don’t think anyone would argue that turnover margin is a huge difference in who wins a game, but a lot of people think it’s “risky” to go for it on 4th down. It’s actually more “risky” to lose or concede one of your possessions.

Think of this scenario. You punt the ball, the other team has a great 45 yard return back to the line of scrimmage but they fumble the ball and there is a big pile up. You can’t tell, it seems 50/50 as to who may have recovered it. Do you like your chances there, or would you prefer that the other team fair caught the ball?
        I usually don't have a problem going for is on 4th down, even though I'm 70 and old school. But, if you're going to go for it from our own 18, at least put the ball in Justin's hands with a run/pass option. If going for it was the right call analytically, the run call was not in any way. Reasonable minds may differ. Of course, had it worked, it would have been a genius call. Gotta love sports.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If we can find a way to upgrade Hopkins, then sure go for it. Especially since he can’t hit anything over 50. But otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
          Hopkins can hit the sure thing field goal unlike the previous kicker before him. Although Hopkins has had his misses on extra points or field goals too. I don't want to go back to Vizcaino. He was a pain in the ass. What does Staley see in him?

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Are people still discussing going for it from the 18?

Look, the Raiders got a field goal. They averaged a field goal. Short field defense is easier than long field defense.

If we had punted there was a good chance they would drive to the 20 and kick a field goal anyway. Same result except they run an extra 8 plays and possess the ball an extra 4 minutes.

If they have the ball an extra 4 minutes Herbert has no chance to tie the game in regulation.

The REAL issue was having the ball 2nd and 6 at the LVR 27 in OT and passing twice against a tired, depleted, and demoralized defense. Run the damn ball twice and even if you dont make it you take an extra 1:20 off the clock, and the game ends tied. No way in hell were the Raiders putting the ball in Carr's hands there.

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Hopkins can hit the sure thing field goal unlike the previous kicker before him. Although Hopkins has had his misses on extra points or field goals too. I don't want to go back to Vizcaino. He was a pain in the ass. What does Staley see in him?
              Physical upside apparently. Never hurts to try to develop talent before giving up on it. Who knew Lambo or Koo would do what they did after their inconsistent starts with us?

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                Are people still discussing going for it from the 18?

Look, the Raiders got a field goal. They averaged a field goal. Short field defense is easier than long field defense.

If we had punted there was a good chance they would drive to the 20 and kick a field goal anyway. Same result except they run an extra 8 plays and possess the ball an extra 4 minutes.

If they have the ball an extra 4 minutes Herbert has no chance to tie the game in regulation.

The REAL issue was having the ball 2nd and 6 at the LVR 27 in OT and passing twice against a tired, depleted, and demoralized defense. Run the damn ball twice and even if you dont make it you take an extra 1:20 off the clock, and the game ends tied. No way in hell were the Raiders putting the ball in Carr's hands there.
                Lots of different scenarios that could have played out in OT. Funny how run, run, pass would have worked in our favor on that one. But we still should have stopped them on 3rd and 4. Heck, how did we let them gain 7 yards on 2nd and 11?

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Lots of different scenarios that could have played out in OT. Funny how run, run, pass would have worked in our favor on that one. But we still should have stopped them on 3rd and 4. Heck, how did we let them gain 7 yards on 2nd and 11?
                  A not very good defense that's tired. Defense is more tiring than offense. That's why there's so many one possessions OTs lately. And Chris Harris played some of the worst football I've ever seen in the last 4 weeks. He had no interest in tackling or taking on blocks.

That Raider D was EXHAUSTED. We ran like 40 plays in the last couple minutes. They got a wind in OT but after that long pass to Williams they deflated. It's easy to run on a tired D. I was yelling "RUN!" at the TV but apparently they couldn't hear me.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I totally agree. But I think the team can bring back Hopkins as I think a punter is a higher priority. Granted, if you can do both, get a good young kicker and punter. But am good with Telesco finding a punter: Araiza or the Georgia punter, Carmada comes to mind first.
                    Long was one of the worst punters in the league last year so clearly it is a high priority. But since Hopkins is a free agent, it does not hurt to look around.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Long was one of the worst punters in the league last year so clearly it is a high priority. But since Hopkins is a free agent, it does not hurt to look around.
                      I can see it happening. Staley wasn’t scared to can his ST coach the first year so canning Long won’t be a problem.

Comment

• AL9000
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2022
                        • San Diego, CA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

I usually don't have a problem going for is on 4th down, even though I'm 70 and old school. But, if you're going to go for it from our own 18, at least put the ball in Justin's hands with a run/pass option. If going for it was the right call analytically, the run call was not in any way. Reasonable minds may differ. Of course, had it worked, it would have been a genius call. Gotta love sports.
                        With the way the Raiders DL was playing that game, a run call there was definitely not the right choice. I completely agree with calling a run/pass option there putting it in your superstar QB’s hands, IF you’re going to make the call to go for it on 4th down on your own 18.

I think with time, Staley will get more comfortable with the feel of how the game is going and have a better grasp on situational football in games like that. I personally love his aggressive approach, especially when we have a QB like Herbert.

Look at how Mahomes has changed Andy Reid’s approach in KC since he arrived. It has worked out more than not. If Reid had stayed in his old conservative ways, that team wouldn’t be doing what it has these past 4 seasons.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

That jet motion counter left play worked several times in critical situations early in the season, I can specifically remember it vs the Browns.

But teams got tape on it and saw our deficiency running right (and running the actual jet sweep) and so just kept stacking the box left. A counter is a slower developing play so if you don't fool the D it goes nowhere. Both those plays vs LVR I said "counter left" outloud before the snap. Too many times to the well.

As our offense matures I expect more wrinkles to the jet motion, such as RPOs or pitches to the under route off the jet motion. Can only install so many plays in one offseason. A better jet motion target would also help. Or a glance RPO as the defense jumps the under route.

Working on a pitch option play would also be a good add. Herbert and Ekeler are two of our best athletes. Use only when necessary.

Comment

Working...
                          X