Five reasons im optimistic about the Chargers.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tusquat
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

At the end of the day believe we will be who we thought we are

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

or who the majority of the board thought we were thinking we were.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        or who the majority of the board thought we were thinking we were.
        Or people on here...
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Most don't agree
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Im sure consensus will be closer by seasons end.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The consensus will be that the OL will be better than they thought it would be?

What did they think it would be?
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Big Dog
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

My expectations for the starting line are:

RT Fluker - Run blocking B+, Pass Blocking D (almost a C- but worried speed rushers will take that down to a D-)
                RG Clary - Run Blocking B, Pass Blocking C+ (if RT then down a letter grade)
                C Harwick - Run Blocking C+, Pass Blocking C+
                LG Rinehart- Run blocking C, Pass Blocking C
                LT Starks - Run blocking C, Pass Blocking C

I think we will be able to run the ball above average C+ overall and B to the right side, but feel our pass blocking on the right side will need some chip block support from the TE's or RB's or Rivers is vunerable.

The short game plays to Rivers game and will improve our completion % and confidence, coming out of college said Rivers was money on the 15 yard over the middle passes, early success breeds improvement.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Regarding Fluker, I read an article in my local paper about Barkavius Mingo. The top rookie tackles who played against him were interviewed about him as a passrusher. Fluker was given quite a bit of space; turns out he and Mingo are pretty good friends. Fluker (and Joekel and others) said Mingo is a top flight pass rusher, a speed guy first and foremost, but a guy who has been getting stronger and developing more moves. Fluker played Mingo in three separate games and said it was him one-on-one all game(s) long. Fluker said it was a constant battle and not easy. And Mingo got zero sacks.

Just a point of reference.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

It is a big step up from Mingo to NFL pass rushers. Mingo has elite tools, but he is not a very accomplished player (yet!).

I think that it is interesting that Big Dog can assign grade on players who have never even played in the NFL, and since we don't even know the scheme that we are using, what kind of formations and all that we will favor. Plus, Clary has never played OG in the NFL before. The 3rd guy who is a big question mark to most is Reinhardt, since most people can't even recall having seen him play. That's 3/5ths of the OL who are big question marks in terms of being able to project how they will do.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I hear you, Steve. But Mingo was a top 10 pick who was drafted because of his ability in college to rush the passer. And he is a pure speed guy at this point, which is what all the analysts say Fluker cannot hold up against. So I thought it was an interesting story to share.

For what it is worth, Fluker also said he doesn't know if Mingo will make the transition to NFL LB successfully, which is what the Browns want him to do. Fluker says Mingo should put on some weight and play DE in a 4-3.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I hear ya. I guess I wasn't think of it like that.

I don't agree with many of the experts on Fluker. I don't think he struggles with guys going around him so much. I think he has struggled some with guys who show some wiggle and can redirect. So Flukers gets going outside, and when the pass rusher redirects, Fluker's body is going outside, even though he is trying to react to the rusher going back inside. But like most rookie OT, Fluker has to do a bit better playing with a wide base (which he does run blocking), and staying over his feet with good knee bend, which is another problem many rookies have. In short, I think a lot of rookies learn how to do the things that Fluker needs to learn, so I don't think it is a big deal, especially since he only has to teach himself to do it under select circumstances, and he plays with knee bend and leverage run blocking.

Mingo is going to be interesting to watch. His size and build suggest he should be a LB. He is thin in his legs and he is not a very big guy, even by college DE standards. But I agree, you watch the guy play, his style is really more of a pass rushing DE. He is not a great read and react type guy, even though he runs in pursuit better than many OLB. In the end, the position thing is pretty unimportant, IMHO. I know you will get ripped by the local media for not playing him enough as such a high pick in your base D, but even if all he ever is situational rusher, those guys can have a huge impact on the game. And 43/34 a situational rusher is a situational rusher, regardless of scheme.

The thing I question when I watch him, is since he is such a one trick pony, is he going to have trouble making the transition to being an NFL pass rusher. Even Harris last year could stop a pure speed guy with no counter move (Harris couldn't stop any counter move). So can Mingo step up his game, develop a counter move (or two) and continue to develop physically? There are a lot of Mike Mumula/Vernon Ghoulson/(kid from penn state the bills took really high a couple years ago) type guys who are great college players who just ran around OT, wowed in their workouts and people ignored the problems with their game and their so-so production, made them high draft picks, then were shocked when they were busts. And all 3 of those players worked really hard at being NFL players. All of them were cited by teammates and coaches for how hard they worked and prepared. But in the end, they never were well rounded players and they lacked the ability to take the practice stuff and turn it into things they do on Sunday.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Mingo wasnt much of a college pass rusher. Drafted more on potential than production. Certainly not in the same class as a Jarvis Jones
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X