Five reasons im optimistic about the Chargers.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Someone is full of shit.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think Goff was just mad at being let go, wasn't he? I remember reading some comments from him when he left for the Chiefs and he was unhappy. The typical stuff that sometimes happens when confronted with one's reality but refusing to accept it. Goff was a great FA pick up for this team.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Goff may have been unhappy at being let go, but I didn't see anything in his comments that seemed to be related to that.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          If you are talking about the GM I would have to agree. I don't see any growth on the roster to speak of myself. Certainly not the ""home run" type of off-season some on here were counting on. For his first off-season I would say that TT has work to do to get up to average. As for the team I really don't see us as getting any closer to getting to the big trophy so I would say we are still at least 3 years out (after the upcoming season) before having some hope to be there myself.
          By all accounts it was a weak draft year. Who was counting in a home run off-season? I think we got three long term starters in the first 3 rounds. while maybe not the home run (or projected Hr) of one of the top 3 LT, it is a very good start IMO.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            Goff is full of shit. Sorry. He never got over being cut by AJ when he couldn't play anymore.

This O-line isn't very good. Is it better than last year's (perhaps the worst in the league)? Yeah, most likely but not definite (especially when you wonder if we got weaker in pass protection at RT). But is this a good o-line? No fucking way. Wishful thinking ain't gonna make it so. We will field an O-line in the bottom third of the league. I really don't give a flying you know what where someone was drafted because it has very, very little to do with what a guy actually does (or has done) once he has played in the league.
            Well, hell...that's an improvement right there. "Bottom third" could be as high as 21st best; which is a heck of a lot better than 32nd (last). Will we be a good OL? No. Will we be improved? It would be damn near impossible NOT to see improvement. And a 21st ranking would be quite a jump, don't you think?

As for TT's off-season, I think it's hysterical that most of us were saying - ad nausem - that we had too many holes to fill, and too few draft picks to fill them, all in one off-season, only to be hyper-critical when that turned out to be true. It was just what we expected, no? I sure did.

The addition of Barnes (instead of Freeney); the addition of Vasquez (instead of Fluker); the addition of Jarvis Jones, or whoever (instead of Te'o) would not have changed the landscape of this team all that much (if at all). I would love to give you the opportunity to be 'Hindsight GM' and go back and redo our off-season, given or needs and the way the draft and FA played out. You can throw the injury to your boy, Ingram, into the mix. What would a GM Den60 team look like today, right now? You can even disregard cap space (since none of us know what that is, anyway).

That's a serious request. If you have the time, go back and look at the draft. When it's our turn, make your pick. What would your draft have looked like? Also consider free agency. And be sure to leave enough money to re-sign Butler. When Ingram went down, what would GM Den60 have done? Interesting exercise, if you ask me. Then you can sit back while the rest of us tear YOUR off-season a new a$$hole.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Why didnt Den send in his resume when the job opened up?
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

New a$$hole logo:
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  By all accounts it was a weak draft year. Who was counting in a home run off-season? I think we got three long term starters in the first 3 rounds. while maybe not the home run (or projected Hr) of one of the top 3 LT, it is a very good start IMO.
                  Three long term (effective) starters from the draft/offseason should qualify as a home run. I'm impressed with what they were able to do on day 2 of the draft, at least on paper.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                    Three long term (effective) starters from the draft/offseason should qualify as a home run. I'm impressed with what they were able to do on day 2 of the draft, at least on paper.
                    I guess we will know if it's a home run in 3 or 4 years then.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

TT did exactly what he said he was going to do. Draft his team and use Free Agency as a way to fill out the roster. Great start draft wise imo. Im probably more high on Tourek Williams than most. I think he can at least outproduce Ingrams rookie year which wasn't anything special. Hes probably JJs replacement down the road as hes a great run defender. Hes got a nose for the RB and can sift through the trash to get him. First 3 picks were solid picks and Steve Williams was one of the best pure cover CBs in the draft. His size held his draft stock down. Hes a perfect nickel/slot type CB. I think he will be perfect for guys like Welker and McCluster.

Didn't expect a bunch of long term free agent contracts given out to big name players. Why do that now when your still building the core of the team. 1-2 year contracts dont hurt the plan going forward. I also think Freeney continues to build off his late season push in the 34. I expect teams to hold onto the ball a lot longer than what Indy was seeing last year. Freeney will have his chances to produce and i think we will be surprised by his production. Freeneys numbers wont hurt Butler contract talks with Meachems cap situation being so much better next year.

This draft wasn't loaded with instant starters...its just the way it is...most drafts are not. TT drafted guys that should be great long term. Most of our picks were hugely productive college players with a ton of experience. I dont have a problem giving Fluker a year or 2 to see if the coaching can help him become a great RT in this league. If he ends up at OG than oh well....we have a stud OG then. Its not like most are expecting us to win the Superbowl this year. You try of course to be the best you can but in the end we are evaluating players. Even Rivers.

Id say TT actually did more this off-season than i expected. Everyone wants to focus on the personnel or lack there of for our potential struggles this year...while i think we overachieve based not on talent but the schemes. I think the offense we run will help us win games and be competitive. We lack a pass rush yes...but have potential dominance from the DE positions...and 2 really good ILBs. I think our Run D will be great personally. I think the pass rush will be helped by the inside push capabilities of our DL.

Houston was one of the top sack teams in the league last year...and there top 2 sacks leaders were both 34 DEs. You can generate a pass rush a few different ways. I like the look of 2014 especially with Ingram/Freeney/Liuget/Reyes. Those are pretty hard guys to match up 1 on 1. Sacks will happen. Wouldnt be surprised to see our ILBs get 10 sacks combined.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        I guess we will know if it's a home run in 3 or 4 years then.
                        Maybe sooner. Te'o!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

If DROY is determined by Twitter hits, then Te'o is the odds on favorite.

I wish I was being sarcastic, but ESPN has way too much input in these awards.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X