Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Peremptor View Post
    Spot on. So easy to judge if you don't know what's going on but hey its your right too. It's pretty obvious what derailed Merriman, injuries. It's a dangerous sport.
    Is it? Steroids had nothing to do with it? OK.

Comment

Guy is trying to do something positive with his life, maybe hes grown up. Maybe he actually cares. Why all the hate?

I had a blast watching him play, maybe it was the roids, maybe it was fisher (most likely). I wish he could have played here longer. let it go.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
        Guy is trying to do something positive with his life, maybe hes grown up. Maybe he actually cares. Why all the hate?

I had a blast watching him play, maybe it was the roids, maybe it was fisher (most likely). I wish he could have played here longer. let it go.
        I don't 'hate' Merriman (in the football sense), like I do Jackhole, for example. And he certainly doesn't belong in the same category as the likes of Peterson, Vick, or Rice. So let's get that straight upfront. But my opinion of him during his FOOTBALL years hasn't changed, and I don't see why - if he has indeed changed his life - that should factor in to my opinion of him as a FOOTBALL player.

Seems like the old theme of 'looking the other way' if the guy is producing on the field. That's not me, and will never be me.

But kudos to Merriman, the poor millionaire, who is turning his life around and starting to care..after taking MILLIONS for being more than he appeared to be.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          But kudos to Merriman, the poor millionaire, who is turning his life around and starting to care..after taking MILLIONS for being more than he appeared to be.
          The thread is what do you think of Merriman "now."

Anyway, what do you mean by 'starting' to turn his life around? He started his coat drive for the homeless while in college, not after 'taking' millions. Taking is ridiculous by the way, roids or no roids or whatever, Merriman never Gaithered it.

“I started this coat drive in Maryland because I knew what it was like to grow up in the harsh winters without enough money to buy proper cold weather attire,” Merriman said in a statement. “I always told myself that when I was in a position to help others who are less fortunate and can’t afford jackets or coats, then I would do everything I could to help. I started this event my sophomore year at the University of Maryland.”

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            The thread is what do you think of Merriman "now."

Anyway, what do you mean by 'starting' to turn his life around? He started his coat drive for the homeless while in college, not after 'taking' millions. Taking is ridiculous by the way, roids or no roids or whatever, Merriman never Gaithered it.

“I started this coat drive in Maryland because I knew what it was like to grow up in the harsh winters without enough money to buy proper cold weather attire,” Merriman said in a statement. “I always told myself that when I was in a position to help others who are less fortunate and can’t afford jackets or coats, then I would do everything I could to help. I started this event my sophomore year at the University of Maryland.”
            OK, so I've been responding in an incorrect manner to this thread, then. Because I know nothing of the Merriman "now", and almost the entire context of my replies have been about Merriman the former football player. If he's starting coat drives, volunteering his time, helping out - in other words, doing things that normal, caring people do - then kudos to him.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

OK, so I've been responding in an incorrect manner to this thread, then. Because I know nothing of the Merriman "now", and almost the entire context of my replies have been about Merriman the former football player. If he's starting coat drives, volunteering his time, helping out - in other words, doing things that normal, caring people do - then kudos to him.
              I think Merriman Now is in response to his involvement in trying to keep the Bolts in SD.

Still, even caring people don't always find the time, yet he has and has been at it for some time. Obviously he has many faults, as does everyone, but, IMO, he's not a bad guy.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

If his helping in the stadium drive actually does help and is a factor in them passing it ...how would you feel about him? You think he screwed the team while juicing but now he is helping the team. How would you feel? Im just curious if his juicing is a black and white, thats it, im done type of thing for you.

I mean so he tried to nail Tila Tequila...who hasnt tried to nail a skank with a hot body in their younger days? Im guilty, lol.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I tried and failed many times
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Peremptor
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    I tried and failed many times
                    Just do a Carlin and settle for 2 5s.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      If his helping in the stadium drive actually does help and is a factor in them passing it ...how would you feel about him? You think he screwed the team while juicing but now he is helping the team. How would you feel? Im just curious if his juicing is a black and white, thats it, im done type of thing for you.

I mean so he tried to nail Tila Tequila...who hasnt tried to nail a skank with a hot body in their younger days? Im guilty, lol.
                      Not 'done' as a person; but as a professional athlete. These guys - so gifted athletically, yet severely challenged when it comes to common sense - don't know just how good they have it. Sure, there are risks (career-ending injury, CTE), but many of these guys will make more in their ROOKIE contracts than most of make in 35-years as a working stiff. If they blow it (substance abuse, domestic violence, animal abuse, etc) then "that's it" for me as far as their PRIVILEGED profession is concerned. They can turn their lives around, make something of themselves, atone for their mistakes...as a Regular Joe like you and me.

See what it's like to have to get up, day after day, for 3+ decades, commute to a real job (and worry about being able to stay employed, just like the rest of us), lay awake at night wondering how you're going to pay for healthcare, your kids' education, your house, etc. Then I'd be impressed.

Comment

• Classic
                        Hall Of Fame
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

Honestly in a sport as violent as football. Bowing out early probably saved him from being 40 year old cripple.

As for the roids, just look at his rookie 2005 draft pick and tell me that neck ain't from roids. The dude had half the neck in 2007.

Also it's pretty embarrassing to know the Chargers have the deepest history with PED use. Our lone championship came from a roided up team. That in of itself is why I have less respect for the 60s Chargers and Lance Alworth.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

It wasn't like he had a choice, he didn't really "bow out", he was done as an NFL player.

Comment

Working...
                          X