• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Tebow had enough Patrick Mahomes in him that he could by force of will propel the Broncos to victory every once in a while.

John Elway decided (sensibly, it seems!) that you can't build a team around a QB who can't do the rest of the job well enough to win most of the remainder of the time. He cut ties with Tebow pretty abruptly and unceremoniously and, given that Tebow only ever had the proverbial 'cup of coffee' as a QB on an NFL roster after that, it would appear that the rest of the football world concluded the same thing.
    Elway-- convinced by the end of the 2011 season that Tebow wasn't the answer-- spent a 2nd round pick in 2012 on Brock Osweiler, a 1st rounder in 2016 on Paxton Lynch, and a 2nd rounder in 2019 on Drew Lock. None of these guys have turned out to be 'The Answer', either.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

And that is why Elway got "promoted" out of the GM role. Other than signing Manning, the HOF QB does not pick good Qbs.

I just don't see Lock ever being any good. And his early responses to the competition a mediocre Bridgewater brings have not been good. Fangio already making excuses about Lock having a blister on his hand or something during OTAs that led to him looking like crap. I think Lindey's is probably counting on Bridgewater managing games while the defense wins them. Lock is just a turnover machine and he cannot read defenses and he has zero pocket awareness.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
        It doesn't matter how good the rest of your roster is if your QB sucks. Drew Lock sucks. Unless DEN got Rodgers when I was asleep they're still a 5 win team with a crappy QB.
        except our D seemed to always make crappy QBs fantastic. that game he came back and beat the bolts was an embarassment. that guy is such a coook...worse than 'mr no emotion' cutler.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Elway-- convinced by the end of the 2011 season that Tebow wasn't the answer-- spent a 2nd round pick in 2012 on Brock Osweiler, a 1st rounder in 2016 on Paxton Lynch, and a 2nd rounder in 2019 on Drew Lock. None of these guys have turned out to be 'The Answer', either.
          I would take Tebow as my QB over any of those clowns for sure.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They are not ranked against each other:
            Ekeler is ranked against the top running backs on each team, while JJ is ranked against the backups.

In 2006, it would have been:

RB #1 LT (1)
            RB #2 MT (1)
            I guessed that later. Still think they were generous with JJ. The talent is there, ability to take the field, not so much. I would rank Kelley over JJ based on ability to suit up.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              And that is why Elway got "promoted" out of the GM role. Other than signing Manning, the HOF QB does not pick good Qbs.

TG
              Isn't *that* a curious thing? A blind spot at his own position of excellence.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

“Our OL was soooo bad …”
                ”how bad was it?”
                ”Tevi was our best lineman”
                Yep...the good old Pip and Storm tag-team...good times...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I just don't see Lock ever being any good. And his early responses to the competition a mediocre Bridgewater brings have not been good. Fangio already making excuses about Lock having a blister on his hand or something during OTAs that led to him looking like crap. I think Lindey's is probably counting on Bridgewater managing games while the defense wins them. Lock is just a turnover machine and he cannot read defenses and he has zero pocket awareness.

TG
                  Someone wrote a book about promoting an incompetent manager to a higher position--it's called "The Peter Principle." Happens all the time in corporate America...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I would take Tebow as my QB over any of those clowns for sure.
                    Tebow, with all his slow-release windup issues, at least was always a dual threat to scramble...agree he probably would have kept the Donks more competitive than that sorry parade of losers...I don't think Tebow would have taken them to a SB, but he probably would have taken them at least into the playoffs a few more times than the Donks in recent years...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Tebow, with all his slow-release windup issues, at least was always a dual threat to scramble...agree he probably would have kept the Donks more competitive than that sorry parade of losers...I don't think Tebow would have taken them to a SB, but he probably would have taken them at least into the playoffs a few more times than the Donks in recent years...
                      Agree, I am not saying Tebow is the next great QB or anything, just in comparison to that idiot parade Denver has been running since Tebow left.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

The Denver D has the potential to be strong enough this year that the QB just needs to not lose games for them. Play like Dilfer and they'll be tough.
                        Last edited by richpjr; 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          The Denver D has the potential to be strong enough this year that the QB just needs to not loose games for them. Play like Dilfer and they'll be tough.
                          They've been getting good press.
                          I haven't paid Den much attention outside of when we play them. Last year we split 2 close games with our cellar dwelling OL, STs and mediocre D.
                          LAC has improved on several fronts. OL front most of all, theoretically. (Outside of coaching) I'm looking forward to the test.

Comment

Working...
                          X