• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeless simpson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Oh well, in 30 years of watching drafts, I don't recall seeing a Charger's draft class come in and have an substantial first year impact except for the occasional player.

The chargers returned to the playoffs after a long absence since the Boss Ross era with starters from the 2004 Draft class, Olivea, Hardwick, Olshansky and Kaeding. Shaun Phillips had 4 sacks and 1 int as a backup. Rivers, MTurner would become factors later on but not in their rookie year.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Morning links: Draft grades are in

Eric D. Williams, ESPN San Diego Chargers reporter

Good morning.

Yes, it’s a bit absurd to hand out draft grades just a few days after the draft when none of these players have ever taken an NFL field.

However, I always find it instructive to read comments from draft analysts and others who follow the draft on what they think of a team’s draft class soon after the process is included, more so for the analysis than the grades.

So with that, let’s take a look at what folks are saying about the draft class of the San Diego Chargers.

In this ESPN Insider piece Insider, draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Chargers a B-minus. Kiper typically does not like teams drafting a running back in the first round, but believes running back Melvin Gordon has a chance to earn Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. I agree.

Kiper went on to say that Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman was one of his favorite picks of Round 2, and that the Chargers got good value with cornerback Craig Mager, edge rusher Kyle Emanuel and defensive tackle Darius Philon. Kiper’s only criticism was the Chargers not getting more help at wide receiver, tight end or nose tackle.

In this ESPN Insider piece Insider, draft analyst Todd McShay writes that Perryman was his favorite pick of the draft by the Chargers.

Eliot Harrison of NFL.com hands out a B-plus grade to the Chargers in this video.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com believes the Chargers had the best draft of the AFC West, also giving the Chargers a B-plus. Rang believes Gordon gives the Chargers much-need balance on offense, and that few teams made more improvements with a limited amount of picks.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports hands out a B-minus grade for the Chargers. He says Gordon is the team’s best pick, but questions the selection of a raw prospect like Mager in the third round.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated gives the Chargers a B-minus. He wonders about San Diego selecting Perryman in the second round with Manti Te'o and Donald Butler already on the roster, and believes the Chargers could have selected a prospect like Mager later in the draft.
      To me this shows that a lot of draft analyzers realky don't know much at all. Case in point Chris Burke. Questioning the selection of Perryman in part because Donald Butler is on the roster????? Did he watch him play at all last year?? Had he watched his play, if one can call it that, and he knows anything about football, he would think much more highly of this selection.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        To me this shows that a lot of draft analyzers realky don't know much at all. Case in point Chris Burke. Questioning the selection of Perryman in part because Donald Butler is on the roster????? Did he watch him play at all last year?? Had he watched his play, if one can call it that, and he knows anything about football, he would think much more highly of this selection.
        Exactly.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

FYI - I started a 2012 Draft Grade thread.

Thought it would be fun to go back, and see everyone's take, now that they played 3 years.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            Actually, you won't have to wait three years to get a general idea of this draft by the Chargers. It all hinges on Gordon being an elite back that makes a big impact immediately. If he struggles the draft grade plummets.
            If he struggles as a rookie then the draft is considered a bust? I cant agree with that. You stilll have to wait three years imo.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Agree. Does he also not know we play a 3-4 and only had 3 ILBs on the roster? I wasnt focusing on ILB much either but we knew we had to get another one somewhere. I just figured they would find a vet. I like the Perryman pick. We need some bad dudes on defense.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Agree. Does he also not know we play a 3-4 and only had 3 ILBs on the roster? I wasnt focusing on ILB much either but we knew we had to get another one somewhere. I just figured they would find a vet. I like the Perryman pick. We need some bad dudes on defense.
                Yes, we were woefully undermanned at ILB. Like you, I was expecting a cost effective vet solution as this draft was weak at ILB and I honestly did not see them spending a 2nd or 3rd on that spot. However, I like Perryman a lot as a player....he is a great tackler and caused a lot of turnovers which I hope continues in the NFL.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Yes, we were woefully undermanned at ILB. Like you, I was expecting a cost effective vet solution as this draft was weak at ILB and I honestly did not see them spending a 2nd or 3rd on that spot. However, I like Perryman a lot as a player....he is a great tackler and caused a lot of turnovers which I hope continues in the NFL.
                  If Perryman is the leader he is made out to be, this pick might be an awesome one. For all the better players on the defense (Weddle, Flowers, Ingram, Liuget), there seems to not be a vocal leader or any real swagger from those guys. Maybe Perryman can finally fill that void.

I'm not a big fan of Addae's play but at least he brings some attitude. This defense needs more of that.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

L
                    Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    If Perryman is the leader he is made out to be, this pick might be an awesome one. For all the better players on the defense (Weddle, Flowers, Ingram, Liuget), there seems to not be a vocal leader or any real swagger from those guys. Maybe Perryman can finally fill that void.

I'm not a big fan of Addae's play but at least he brings some attitude. This defense needs more of that.
                    Yeah, I would love an aggressive yet fundamentally sound D...especially our front 7. Play aggressive but within the scheme. There were times last season where our Front 7 missed a lot of assignments.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

A few thoughts on Perryman.

1. Teo and Butler are both better off as weakside or Will position.
                      2. Teo and Butler, both get injured...have each missed games each of the past 2 seasons.
                      3. The thoughts on playing "Nickel" alot are accurate... the team is actually in Nickel more than base defense.
                      4. I hope this kid can cover or at least learn to cover a bit better than his scouting suggests...because I'm fearful of watching Peyton Manning going no huddle, and just picking on the rookie over the middle, again and again and again.

(notice how I didn't mention Butler's "struggles" last season? He played so well the year before... I'm hoping he turns it around.)
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

L

Yeah, I would love an aggressive yet fundamentally sound D...especially our front 7. Play aggressive but within the scheme. There were times last season where our Front 7 missed a lot of assignments.
                        yeah, and tackles too.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          If he struggles as a rookie then the draft is considered a bust? I cant agree with that. You stilll have to wait three years imo.
                          I didn't say "bust," I said this draft pretty much hinges on him and if he doesn't come in and be what is expected the value is going to plummet. You expect RBs to be able to come in and play right away, first rounders at a high level immediately. If he doesn't come in and do so he doesn't help Rivers much this year because it will fall on Rivers to carry a team behind an o-line that isn't all that good, especially in pass protection. The Chargers traded a 4th and 5th to move up two spots for him so I don't think I'm off on a tangent when I say that. And I didn't give the Chargers a terrible draft grade by the way, even though I don't really like taking RBs in the first, not with the way the league has gone in the past few years. Long term I think about being in sync with your roster. This could be Rivers last year and if it is then Gordon is a bit of a wasted pick given the relatively short life of most RBs.

Comment

Working...
                          X