• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
    Going for the double Melvin in the first round gave me hope.

TT seemed to give up after that and started drafting ST players, like AJ did the year he drafted that LB who never played for us in the second round, jonus mouton to play ST.

Would have liked it way better if we had drafted Randy Gregory or an OL in the 2nd round.

Wish we had not reached for the CB we took, we could have traded back and still got him a round or 2 later.

Surprised we did not draft a OL, WR or an edge rusher in first 3 rounds (unless Ingram being in great shape is supposed to be our rush guy and our interest in an edge rusher was a smoke screen to disguise our interest in a RB in 1st round).
    We have no place for a 230 lb OLB. I dont know why some keep saying we should of drafted Gregory. Severily undersized and dumb as a rock.

Comment

• Geezbolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Sun Valley, ID
      • Send PM

TT seemed to give up after that and started drafting ST players, like AJ did the year he drafted that LB who never played for us in the second round, jonus mouton to play ST.

Would have liked it way better if we had drafted Randy Gregory or an OL in the 2nd round.

Wish we had not reached for the CB we took, we could have traded back and still got him a round or 2 later.

Surprised we did not draft a OL, WR or an edge rusher in first 3 rounds (unless Ingram being in great shape is supposed to be our rush guy and our interest in an edge rusher was a smoke screen to disguise our interest in a RB in 1st round).
      Hindsight is 20-20. It's easy to say TT should have traded back in Round 3 and he could have gotten Mager a round or two later. We have no idea what other teams' interest was in Mager. What we do know is at that point he was high on TT's board and he took him. Had there been an offensive lineman, a WR or even a pass rusher with a similar grade at that point that may have been his pick. Also, you need a partner with which to trade back. We have no idea what other teams may have been offering the Bolts at that point. As far as Gregory goes, many teams took him off of their boards not so much because of failing the drug test, but because he was late to private workouts, and even blew the Raiders off completely when they had an appointment for him to come to their facility. You can joke about it being the Raiders, but the bottom line is he did some stupid things that cost him literally millions of dollars. Maybe Jerry can turn him around. We'll see.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I saw Gregory doing an interview on TV. Dumb as a rock was my take too.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          I saw Gregory doing an interview on TV. Dumb as a rock was my take too.
          All rocks should be offended with that comparison

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
            He is short, but 298 is pretty solid size for a guy in his role. 11.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, and 6 hurries is pretty impressive production. Not sure it's a production issue. Maybe more that he isn't a very well rounded presence at the moment.
            Look at him vs OL and he seems small, and those are college OL. He is fairly dense, but the kid is still growing. Maybe a better way of putting it is that he lacks ideal size.

As far as his production, he faced a lot of single team blocks since Flowers got a lot of attention on the edge, and had a lot of opportunities left on the field. You generally expect an inside guy like that to make more plays unless he is being doubled to death.

I am not saying these are any real knocks, just saying that when there is a deep draft class at DL, you can afford to pass on a guy like Philton when there are other solid prospects. Given how our DL tends to overpenetrate and take too many plays with their heads up their butts, I think a guy like Philton makes a lot more sense, although I don't think he will play much as a rookie. He is a year away.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2015
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Look at him vs OL and he seems small, and those are college OL. He is fairly dense, but the kid is still growing. Maybe a better way of putting it is that he lacks ideal size.

As far as his production, he faced a lot of single team blocks since Flowers got a lot of attention on the edge, and had a lot of opportunities left on the field. You generally expect an inside guy like that to make more plays unless he is being doubled to death.

I am not saying these are any real knocks, just saying that when there is a deep draft class at DL, you can afford to pass on a guy like Philton when there are other solid prospects. Given how our DL tends to overpenetrate and take too many plays with their heads up their butts, I think a guy like Philton makes a lot more sense, although I don't think he will play much as a rookie. He is a year away.
              I would agree that he is still growing and ideally, will be a little bigger. But currently he's virtually the same size as Liuget. So I guess my point is that I'd have a hard time seeing why size (unless it's height) caused him to fall.

I'm surprised that you think he was expected to make more plays than he did. He had 11.5 TFL. Compare to Leonard Williams with 9.5 and Malcom Brown with 13.

Comment

• boldarblood
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by G-Money View Post
                Draft: D
                Offseason: C-
                This Team didn't do enough to make a run next year...
                I don't think they are so far off that they needed to make drastic changes. I think that draft grade is way harsh and I disagree with you.

I think that we picked up good players that really do fit our needs. Even improved our special teams. Draft in a lot of ways is great to build depth and best player available. It is my hope they do well.
                Last edited by boldarblood; 05-08-2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I think the team would have drafted OIP over Randy Gregory. And I would have applauded them if they had.

I love the "could have traded back" comment. Like there were GMs just tripping over each other wanting to throw draft picks at us. And I think they might have drafted Mager in the 3rd because they didn't have a 4th. So they paid the price of going after Gordon.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                    I would agree that he is still growing and ideally, will be a little bigger. But currently he's virtually the same size as Liuget. So I guess my point is that I'd have a hard time seeing why size (unless it's height) caused him to fall.

I'm surprised that you think he was expected to make more plays than he did. He had 11.5 TFL. Compare to Leonard Williams with 9.5 and Malcom Brown with 13.
                    Watch a couple of games and you see him hitting the RB but not finishing the plays. Also, he didn't face double teams much at all due to Flowers. Malcolm Brown and Leonard Williams faced a lot more double teams.

Really, because so many people around here prefer big players. And players who pass the eyeball test do have a tendency to go a lot higher. Guys with "warts", who don't look the part, tend to drop (the whole moneyball thing).

The thing about our draft is that we lost our starting NCB in Gilchrist and added a CB to replace him. We played the nickle almost exactly 70% of the time. Idiot sportswriters can talk about adding 2 impact guys in Perryman and Gordon, and they probably are, but Mager is the guy who can probably have the biggest impact. He will get more playing time.
                    Last edited by Steve; 05-14-2015, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Watch a couple of games and you see him hitting the RB but not finishing the plays. Also, he didn't face double teams much at all due to Flowers. Malcolm Brown and Leonard Williams faced a lot more double teams.

Really, because so many people around here prefer big players. And players who pass the eyeball test do have a tendency to go a lot higher. Guys with "warts", who don't look the part, tend to drop (the whole moneyball thing).

The thing about our draft is that we lost our starting NCB in Gilchrist and added a CB to replace him. We played the nickle almost exactly 70% of the time. Idiot sportswriters can talk about adding 2 impact guys in Perryman and Gordon, and they probably are, but Mager is the guy who can probably have the biggest impact. He will get more playing time.
                      All things being equal health wise, Gordon should have a far greater impact than Mager. There is a fair bit of competition for Mager to earn playing time. I expect him to contribute on ST and grow into the rotation in our secondary. If he can get a feel for things early on, and there is an injury or sub par play from our NB, then he certainly will have a chance to display his skills earlier than I envision.

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

I think Jimmy Wilson will take Gilchrists spot ... Gives Mager time to learn/develop
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Fart in the wind guess: 3 UDFAs make the roster, contribute in games even. Ups the draft grade IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X