Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    I didn't say "bust," I said this draft pretty much hinges on him and if he doesn't come in and be what is expected the value is going to plummet. You expect RBs to be able to come in and play right away, first rounders at a high level immediately. If he doesn't come in and do so he doesn't help Rivers much this year because it will fall on Rivers to carry a team behind an o-line that isn't all that good, especially in pass protection. The Chargers traded a 4th and 5th to move up two spots for him so I don't think I'm off on a tangent when I say that. And I didn't give the Chargers a terrible draft grade by the way, even though I don't really like taking RBs in the first, not with the way the league has gone in the past few years. Long term I think about being in sync with your roster. This could be Rivers last year and if it is then Gordon is a bit of a wasted pick given the relatively short life of most RBs.
    Yeah, when those RBs hit 22, it's all over.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      Yeah, when those RBs hit 22, it's all over.
      No, but their effective lifespan in the NFL is lower than average and if they are successful then they can command a lot of money with their second contract which is when most start to lose a step. I recall reading that you really measure the career of a RB by the number of hits they take. If Rivers decides to hang it up or test the market after this season we likely would not be in a position to draft a franchise QB until the 2017 draft at the earliest. Then you are looking at a couple of years struggling with a rookie QB. Of course if the Chargers leave for LA that point would be moot for someone like me.

Comment

• G-Money
        Trojan4Life Fight on!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Draft: D
        Offseason: C-
        This Team didn't do enough to make a run next year...

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2015
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          A few thoughts on Perryman.

1. Teo and Butler are both better off as weakside or Will position.
          2. Teo and Butler, both get injured...have each missed games each of the past 2 seasons.
          3. The thoughts on playing "Nickel" alot are accurate... the team is actually in Nickel more than base defense.
          4. I hope this kid can cover or at least learn to cover a bit better than his scouting suggests...because I'm fearful of watching Peyton Manning going no huddle, and just picking on the rookie over the middle, again and again and again.

(notice how I didn't mention Butler's "struggles" last season? He played so well the year before... I'm hoping he turns it around.)
          In the past against offenses like Manning's, we've just come straight out in our nickel. So if Perry isn't a nickel/dime linebacker, then in theory he would starts games against offenses like that. He would probably see really heavy use against teams like KC, CLEV, etc.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2015
            • Send PM

I don't like draft grades so I won't give a letter.

I liked Gordon fine, but wasn't interested in taking him at #17. So logically, I wasn't a fan of trading up. I do think he makes us better, but we could have found a back later and saved our picks.

I didn't see an ILB coming, but I love Perryman. He was one of my favorite players to watch from this draft. He gives me some Chris Borland vibes. My lasting memory of him is the complete annihilation of Cam Erving on a pull block.

Mager came out of left field. I wasn't a fan of the move, not because I know anything about him, but because I think we have some corner depth and there were players left that I really love (like Grady Jarrett and Henry Anderson).

Kyle Emanuel was my favorite pick in this class. He was absurdly productive for NDSU, including in his annual games against BIG12 competition. He gets to the QB in a variety of ways. He proved to be a well-above average athlete at the combine, even among edge rushing prospects. And he's a stronger player than a lot of the other later round, upside edge guys (Rush, Roddick, etc.).

Philon was also a strong selection. Really productive interior pass rusher in the SEC. Could potentially help right away in sub packages. Is really young and has room to develop.

I wasn't super fond of the class going into the 3rd day, but the value of the last two picks brought be around to at least being ok with it. And of course, if Gordon is trouncing run defenses while Perryman rips heads off in May, I'll forget all about my disappointment.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Why did Philon last so long? He's obviously a talented lineman.

And btw, it's great to have you here, Ebenezer. Welcome.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2015
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                Why did Philon last so long? He's obviously a talented lineman.

And btw, it's great to have you here, Ebenezer. Welcome.
                Thanks man.

Seems like a lot of DL talent went later than expected. Jarrett, Davison, Nunez, and Philon all fitting that bill. In Philon's case, probably just because he's pretty one dimensional at this point. But I think we can put his one trick to use while we try to make something more of him.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Philon is short, lacks ideal size (weight) and not terribly productive. In part that is because the guy is just 21, and is still developing physically. He plays on a pretty good Arkansas D, and makes big plays for them,. His overall production is lower then some people like because he still is developing as a college player, and probably should have stayed in school. And Arkansas has some other good DL who are productive, so some of his production goes to other players.

Add all that to a deep DL draft class and it is easy to see why he fell. It doesn't (necessarily) mean he is not a good prospect. IMHO, it just means he may not be a big producer right away. Look for him to get a lot bigger, stronger and develop his technique as a rookie. But I think he can add some production as a part time player.

The big thing this year is with Reyes and Liuget in their contract years, we need to find out if they will finally be the players we hope they can be. Both play dominant football for short stretches. But neither can put it together as much as they should. They make a fair number of big plays, but also give up a lot of big ones. If either of them, (or both) plays well, both can get long term deals, but both are going to have to develop some consistency, and start playing well for longer stretches.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Arkansas did have a good D. Which makes Melvin Gordon's 400 yard 4 TD game against them even more impressive.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Lots of people like to mention the life span of RBs as a reason not to pick them in the first and I just don't see the logic. I feel like a lot of people forget the average lifespan of NFL draft picks regardless of position or where they are picked. I will take a productive 7 year career out of MGIII as opposed to first round picks spent on guys like Buster Davis, Cason, or English. Hell we only got 9 years out of LT (with less than a 1000 yards his final year here),does that make it a wasted pick?

We don't know how Gordon will perform yet obviously, but there are reasons to think he will provide us with a potent running attack for years to come. Even if 'all' we get from him is 1000+ yards/ 10 TDs each year of his rookie contract I will consider the pick a hit, especially compared to AJs first round picks post '06.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2015
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Philon is short, lacks ideal size (weight) and not terribly productive. In part that is because the guy is just 21, and is still developing physically. He plays on a pretty good Arkansas D, and makes big plays for them,. His overall production is lower then some people like because he still is developing as a college player, and probably should have stayed in school. And Arkansas has some other good DL who are productive, so some of his production goes to other players.

Add all that to a deep DL draft class and it is easy to see why he fell. It doesn't (necessarily) mean he is not a good prospect. IMHO, it just means he may not be a big producer right away. Look for him to get a lot bigger, stronger and develop his technique as a rookie. But I think he can add some production as a part time player.

The big thing this year is with Reyes and Liuget in their contract years, we need to find out if they will finally be the players we hope they can be. Both play dominant football for short stretches. But neither can put it together as much as they should. They make a fair number of big plays, but also give up a lot of big ones. If either of them, (or both) plays well, both can get long term deals, but both are going to have to develop some consistency, and start playing well for longer stretches.
                        He is short, but 298 is pretty solid size for a guy in his role. 11.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, and 6 hurries is pretty impressive production. Not sure it's a production issue. Maybe more that he isn't a very well rounded presence at the moment.

Comment

• Big Dog
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Going for the double Melvin in the first round gave me hope.

TT seemed to give up after that and started drafting ST players, like AJ did the year he drafted that LB who never played for us in the second round, jonus mouton to play ST.

Would have liked it way better if we had drafted Randy Gregory or an OL in the 2nd round.

Wish we had not reached for the CB we took, we could have traded back and still got him a round or 2 later.

Surprised we did not draft a OL, WR or an edge rusher in first 3 rounds (unless Ingram being in great shape is supposed to be our rush guy and our interest in an edge rusher was a smoke screen to disguise our interest in a RB in 1st round).

Comment

Working...
                          X