• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

It's not even middle of the pack. The Cowboys defense is horrible. One of Dallas' good defensive players went on the Covid-19 list.

We have to do a better job against the run. Gibson was hurting our defense. Dallas has Pollard and Ellliot although he isn't as good anymore.
    Special Teams also need to play better. That first quarter, first half - was really bad

KJ Hill letting the punt drop losing close to 20 yards
    Short kick off by Vizcaino - WFT got it out to the 30+
    On a kickoff, maybe it was Adderley or Hill who took it out and only got to the 17, so losing 8 yards if he had just taken a knee
    One put Long had, the coverage was average at best

There is still PLENTY to work to do with special teams.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Special Teams also need to play better. That first quarter, first half - was really bad

KJ Hill letting the punt drop losing close to 20 yards
      Short kick off by Vizcaino - WFT got it out to the 30+
      On a kickoff, maybe it was Adderley or Hill who took it out and only got to the 17, so losing 8 yards if he had just taken a knee
      One put Long had, the coverage was average at best

There is still PLENTY to work to do with special teams.
      Agree. But for the first time in years, I actually expect we have the coaching staff to fix these things.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

What worries me. Dallas gets a free ride down to the Chargers 30 via a bomb with time running out and the Chargers ahead by two where the safety didn’t bother to look back at Dak scrambling well after 3 seconds, but instead kept his eyes only on the receiver, such as Gallum did against Washington’s receiver. Ok, I’m sure Staley or staff has that corrected in the film room. “Keep positional awareness, keep your head on a swivel.” Please…don’t have this game well fought for 59 minutes and have the game end this way for a loss. Thank you, football gods.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

50-50 balls? I don't remember any where Herbert just chucked it up and let the receivers take it away from the defenders. I did seem some very accurate passes in tight windows which is a completely different thing.
          Yeah, exactly. These were contested throws, not jump balls. Herbert put them on the money where only the WR could catch it. I'd expect NFL coaches to know the difference.

Plus Allen is always open. So it's not even true.

I have not been impressed with the Cowboys coaching staff from the look I've taken.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Agree. But for the first time in years, I actually expect we have the coaching staff to fix these things.
            Yeah, STs are already better than last year. Let them work it out.

I don't blame Hill for not catching the first punt. It was like a 30 yard shank right at the sideline. Just unlucky.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              What worries me. Dallas gets a free ride down to the Chargers 30 via a bomb with time running out and the Chargers ahead by two where the safety didn’t bother to look back at Dak scrambling well after 3 seconds, but instead kept his eyes only on the receiver, such as Gallum did against Washington’s receiver. Ok, I’m sure Staley or staff has that corrected in the film room. “Keep positional awareness, keep your head on a swivel.” Please…don’t have this game well fought for 59 minutes and have the game end this way for a loss. Thank you, football gods.
              That's a very specific worry.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

That's a very specific worry.
                Ya, but it’s a doozy. Great when it happens in your favor, sucks when it doesn’t. 59 minutes of football wasted in the closing seconds. Que sera sera.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I do think the special teams will improve. My point was more that first 15 to 20 minutes of the game, half the plays on special teams were not good.

I thnk they tried having Vizcaino doing shorter kicks but higher with hopes of getting before the 25. I am good with touchback, touchback touchback and maybe you don't tackle them before the 25 but they also don't get it at the 25

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I prefer all touchbacks just from an injury standpoint.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Interesting about touchbacks. These last NFL games where the kick didn’t go thru the end zone, the returner most often got snuffed well before the 25 yard line. Maybe some ST’s should kick it short on purpose? So far this season, returners having to run it back because the kick was short barely got to the 20 yard line.

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Interesting about touchbacks. These last NFL games where the kick didn’t go thru the end zone, the returner most often got snuffed well before the 25 yard line. Maybe some ST’s should kick it short on purpose? So far this season, returners having to run it back because the kick was short barely got to the 20 yard line.
                        If you have a great tackling ST's then kickoffs should be kicked high to land inside the 5 to force a return .....odds are the return will be less than the 20 and also likely to have a penalty cutting that return in half.....

Since our ST's are not yet great at coverage and tackling (just review our punt coverage), it is best at this time to kick the ball through the endzone and give them the 25......not risking big returns...... hopefully that changes as season goes on......

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

No worries. Staley >>> Lynn...

Comment

Working...
                          X