• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Broncos had ZERO reason to extend the Wilson contract when they did. Especially for the years. They could have done something like given him a nice raise - maybe $10m per year for the current deal and see how things go.

That was a terrible contract without playing a down in that new system
    There was a reason, though. The Bowlen ownership under Pat's son, put together the whole facade - Broncos + Russ Wilson + new blockbuster contract - to entice the next owner, which happened to be the Walton Group. It worked.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

There was a reason, though. The Bowlen ownership under Pat's son, put together the whole facade - Broncos + Russ Wilson + new blockbuster contract - to entice the next owner, which happened to be the Walton Group. It worked.
      good point

Walton has 58B - -if he could pay off Wilson without the cap hit - he would
      sadly - he cannot

(well not really sadly!! ha ha hahahaha)

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

What Gregg Rosenthal​ said....

"if the Falcons can eat $40 million dead cap to trade Matt Ryan, the Broncos can eat Wilson's guarantees."

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

When the Broncos release Russell Wilson, their dead cap space will look like this:

2023: $107M
          2024: $85M
          2025: $49.6M
          2026: $31.2M

That's just from Russ.
          That's why they probably won't release him. That was just a terrible contract to offer him.

Dead cap can be spread out over 2 years but at 107, that's a huge number to swallow even over 2 years.

Eating 40 mil for Ryan is vastly different than 107 for Wilson.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's why they probably won't release him. That was just a terrible contract to offer him.

Dead cap can be spread out over 2 years but at 107, that's a huge number to swallow even over 2 years.

To your point....

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

To your point....
              And you'd still be eating $25 million in dead cap space for two years in a row.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

I think for the money and the control being relinquished, Payton will take this job as a challenge, most likely. If he gets 10 years with 120 million guaranteed, I doubt he'd say no and considering their cap situation, they will give him time. I just can't see anyone else giving him the control he seems to desire. The only problem is of course facilitating that trade -- they will likely have to give up a good chunk of players and some future picks because they don't have many in the top rounds next year and the year after.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                  I think for the money and the control being relinquished, Payton will take this job as a challenge, most likely. If he gets 10 years with 120 million guaranteed, I doubt he'd say no and considering their cap situation, they will give him time. I just can't see anyone else giving him the control he seems to desire. The only problem is of course facilitating that trade -- they will likely have to give up a good chunk of players and some future picks because they don't have many in the top rounds next year and the year after.
                  All those super long term HC situations seem to never pan out no matter how good the situation sounds on paper.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

All those super long term HC situations seem to never pan out no matter how good the situation sounds on paper.
                    No, they don't. It only seemingly works for the Steelers. Unless we consider New England in that conversation now as well.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Is Wilson going to hold his own press conference about Hackett and tell Broncos fans “Let’s ride”?

I didn’t realize how far the Broncos went to get Wilson. The draft picks, yes. The ridiculous contract extension, yes. But he has his own hand picked QB coach who reports to him and NOT the head coach. He has his own office at Broncos HQ and his own staff that arranges for meetings with him and such, even with people on the Broncos payroll. And he brought in some sort of ‘team’ that handles his image and PR that the Broncos pay for. No real HC is going to go along with that. Can’t Hackett did because he was just happy to have the job. Paton really messed up the team and I think he messed up Wilson,too, by letting him get so power drunk.

If Wilson is going to get back to where he was, it will take a Parcells kind of guy who just rips him apart and builds him from scratch. And I don’t know if Wilson is willing to do that. I don’t think he cares enough any more.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agreed
                        Rosenthal was wrong in his assessment

First, the cap hit for Ryan and the Falcons was already going to be in the neighborhood of 38-42m - So trading him creating a 40m deap cap hit only cost them a couple million to the cap. So no big deal to save a bunch of cash and move on

The Wilson contract for 2023 - current cap hit is $22m. So not only would the Broncos double the cap hit from 2023 - but leave about 65m in 2024 for a total of $107m in dead money. The Broncos would be hard pressed to field a roster for two years

Its not happening. Russell Wilson - unless some team trades for the contract and the guarantees associated with it - will be on the Broncos roster in 2023 and probably 2024. Doesn't mean he will be the QB - but the coaching hire will be to get Wilson salvageable

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          Is Wilson going to hold his own press conference about Hackett and tell Broncos fans “Let’s ride”?

I didn’t realize how far the Broncos went to get Wilson. The draft picks, yes. The ridiculous contract extension, yes. But he has his own hand picked QB coach who reports to him and NOT the head coach. He has his own office at Broncos HQ and his own staff that arranges for meetings with him and such, even with people on the Broncos payroll. And he brought in some sort of ‘team’ that handles his image and PR that the Broncos pay for. No real HC is going to go along with that. Can’t Hackett did because he was just happy to have the job. Paton really messed up the team and I think he messed up Wilson,too, by letting him get so power drunk.

If Wilson is going to get back to where he was, it will take a Parcells kind of guy who just rips him apart and builds him from scratch. And I don’t know if Wilson is willing to do that. I don’t think he cares enough any more.

TG
                          I wouldn't entirely rule Wilson out.
                          Maybe, he has an injury that set him back; or maybe the Donkies are cooked.:chuckle:

Wilson had a reputation for being divisive and not popular with players on Seattle .... they still won.
                          Great D, a running game, a marginal Oline and Wilson: those were the ingredients up there in Seattle.

Denver imagines they have a similar team.

Their new ownership group is not Pat Bowlen ..... probably should expect very little from that organization for the next 10 year.s

Comment

Working...
                          X