• Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There's been more than two...

Fluker - mild bust
    Gaither - megabust
    Franklin - mild bust
    Turner - injury and mild bust
    Bulaga - injury bust

On the bright side, looks like Lindsley, Feiler, Aboushi and Slater are working out well...
    Yeah, I was thinking high paid injury busts...Bulaga and Pouncey the last 4 years...recent memory!

:whistlin:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      I would hazard a guess, that one of the OL that was picked after McKitty at #97 and before the Chargers 4th round pick at #118 would be a step above Pipkins or Norton. It wouldn't be difficult.
      There was only one tackle taken between 97 and 118.

There was sometimes of a run between 77 and 97. Would have loved to have gotten O-line at 77 and then gotten Palmer at 97. But not sure he lasts that long.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Anyone complaining about the Chargers 2021 draft is just not realistic, competent or aware, how difficult it is to hit on so many picks. As good of need picks as I’ve ever seen in 20 years.

I didn’t understand Palmer or McKitty picks in the moment. But both make a lot of sense now. Palmer WR depth/developmental behind Mike Willams and McKitty depth/developmental post Hunter Henry. Anderson is getting snaps now because he is laying out in blocking assignments but if hadn’t, would have been McKitty. Eventually however McKitty has tools to power forward.

Expect to see another two OL picks next draft to clean up roster depth.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think some of it is naivete..."why can't the idiot GM draft a starter in every round?" "Why didn't the idiot Gm anticipate this injury?" . Some if it is 'Why didn't my pet prospect get drafted?" Some of it is not understanding that part of the draft is building a sustainable team for the future. And the largest part is just good old frustration and passion for our favorite team. All good posters on this board and all brothers to me.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            I think some of it is naivete..."why can't the idiot GM draft a starter in every round?" "Why didn't the idiot Gm anticipate this injury?" . Some if it is 'Why didn't my pet prospect get drafted?" Some of it is not understanding that part of the draft is building a sustainable team for the future. And the largest part is just good old frustration and passion for our favorite team. All good posters on this board and all brothers to me.

TG
            Nobody expects a starter in every round. But when you are trying to fix the team's biggest weakness, not just the previous year but going back for many years, it's not unreasonable to load up on that position group. It didn't take much to anticipate Bulaga would miss time to injury in 2021, given that injury limited him to fewer than 38 percent of offensive snaps in 2020. McKitty is/was a reach at #97, TE was not a weak position group, with the signing of Cook and the emergence of Parham. I would daresay when you draft a player in the top 100, you don't expect to make him a healthy scratch, which McKitty was in Week 1.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              Anyone complaining about the Chargers 2021 draft is just not realistic, competent or aware, how difficult it is to hit on so many picks. As good of need picks as I’ve ever seen in 20 years.

I didn’t understand Palmer or McKitty picks in the moment. But both make a lot of sense now. Palmer WR depth/developmental behind Mike Willams and McKitty depth/developmental post Hunter Henry. Anderson is getting snaps now because he is laying out in blocking assignments but if hadn’t, would have been McKitty. Eventually however McKitty has tools to power forward.

I was surprised by the Palmer pick, and it looks like Telesco knew what he was doing spending a relatively early pick on the kid. He looked in camp to be the real deal. But drafting McKitty is a mystery to me. TE, even with the loss of HH, was not a weak position group after the addition of Cook and with Parham developing and Anderson third on the depth chart. My feeling is that Telesco reached for McKitty because the better TE prospects were off the board and he felt the pressure to find a young TE.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Leverage for potential future contract difficulties seems to be in play.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yeah, I was thinking high paid injury busts...Bulaga and Pouncey the last 4 years...recent memory!

:whistlin:
                  At least Pouncey gave us one decent season out of two...call him a HALF-BUST...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Spot on recap and future draft projection.
                    We added 5 new OL players in the 2021 offseason.
                    2022 offseason for OL improvements……
                    -3 pending FA in Aboushi, Norton, and Qberry. 1 or all 3 should be retained.
                    -cut Bulaga to get $11+ in Cap Space
                    -several pending quality FA on the IOL if we decide to build more depth but probably not
                    -deep OL draft class. Will draft 2/3 OL prospects to find ORT starter and more depth.
                    -goal to push Pipkins to the PS/off 53-roster
                    -Will be 9-10 deep with quality, capable, and physical OL talent
                    -trade Pip for proverbial ham sandwich

An OL in 2022 of……..
                    STARTERS
                    SLATER - FEILER - LINSLEY - ABOUSHI - PENNING (Rookie)
                    DEPTH
                    Norton, Jaimes, Qberry, Cunningham (Rookie)

This would work for me. Only 1 high paid player in Linsley, 2 moderate vets in Feiler and Aboushi with his 2 year extension, 1 low priced vet in Norton, and 5 on rookie contracts.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I know is one game. But surprised Obushi was available in the bargain bin one year prove it deal aisle. I liked what he did last year and in the one game we got to see, he was really good.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        I know is one game. But surprised Obushi was available in the bargain bin one year prove it deal aisle. I liked what he did last year and in the one game we got to see, he was really good.

TG
                        Oday can definitely play himself into a new contract with a strong season. I see a new 2 year deal with the Bolts in his future.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Oday Obushi was a steal. Kinda makes up for Bulaga :deadhorse:

Comment

Working...
                          X