First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Popper seems to think we'll franchise him. I actually hope not - either sign him to a reasonable long term deal or let him walk, give Palmer more snaps and sign/draft a speed WR.
    This is my thing. Either figure out he is a long term answer or let him test the market. I like Williams but don't love him to franchise him. I probably still look at the entire body of work and not just the last game either - too emotional

And from a cap perspective - the franchise thing would be the absolute worst long term decision as you have this dance again in 12 months plus you tie up a helluva lot of cap space in Mike Williams that can be better used elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They are going to pay the man. And those who think different and criticize MW for things can take that to the bank.
    ​​​​​​
    Popper seems to think we'll franchise him. I actually hope not - either sign him to a reasonable long term deal or let him walk, give Palmer more snaps and sign/draft a speed WR.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I was just thinking this
    I got so caught up with Herbert's thor-like performance and while watching the replay, realized that while Mike wasn't perfect, he can be trusted to give his 100% when it matters
    That combined with what he CAN do, makes it hard for me to say anything other than, pay the man, he and Herbert are now a known working combination
    They are going to pay the man. And those who think different and criticize MW for things can take that to the bank.
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-12-2022, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    Yeah, not sure what fixes that, maybe better protection for Herbert?

Leave a comment:

• cmplxgal
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
    He also dropped at least 3 if not four passes inside the 5 yard line this year.

Allen had more. From Popper:

The Chargers finished the season with 39 drops — tied for second most in the NFL. Allen, shockingly, led the team with 10 drops.

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

Hopefully Tom Telesco listens to what his coach as to say. Mike Williams was absolutely epic in that game. I've always liked Mike Williams since he was drafted, but I felt he did not live up to his No. 7 draft slot. But over the past few seasons he did show me he is one of the biggest studs at WR in the NFL, even if he was not catching a lot of passes. Then this year he absolutely proved himself. Some will say it's because it is his contract year, so he showed up. I think that attitude is a bit cynical. I think it has more to do with an offensive system and OC who understood how to use him. With MW, KA, Palmer and Guyton, the Chargers have one of the best WR corps in the league. It is a position group that is already set and there is familiarity with Herbert. Why break that up? Keep it intact, don't create another hole that needs to be filled, there are other areas of the roster where that attention is needed.
    9-8. With five one-score losses. And three multiple-score embarrassing losses.

That’s not something you stand pat on and hope for the best. Fix the OL right side, bring in more skill position talent. We can do these things and still have plenty FA money/draft picks to bolster our ailing D. As good as our O is, it’s not fully weaponized IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I was just thinking this
    I got so caught up with Herbert's thor-like performance and while watching the replay, realized that while Mike wasn't perfect, he can be trusted to give his 100% when it matters
    That combined with what he CAN do, makes it hard for me to say anything other than, pay the man, he and Herbert are now a known working combination
    I still think it has to be reasonable. Something like 68-70/4. And I get the AAV doesn't equal the cap. I don't franchise him though. I like him but it has to be about the body of work. He also dropped at least 3 if not four passes inside the 5 yard line this year.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    Must re-sign the man:

Hopefully Tom Telesco listens to what his coach as to say. Mike Williams was absolutely epic in that game. I've always liked Mike Williams since he was drafted, but I felt he did not live up to his No. 7 draft slot. But over the past few seasons he did show me he is one of the biggest studs at WR in the NFL, even if he was not catching a lot of passes. Then this year he absolutely proved himself. Some will say it's because it is his contract year, so he showed up. I think that attitude is a bit cynical. I think it has more to do with an offensive system and OC who understood how to use him. With MW, KA, Palmer and Guyton, the Chargers have one of the best WR corps in the league. It is a position group that is already set and there is familiarity with Herbert. Why break that up? Keep it intact, don't create another hole that needs to be filled, there are other areas of the roster where that attention is needed.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    Must re-sign the man:

I was just thinking this

Leave a comment:

• cmplxgal
    replied
    Must re-sign the man:

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

But what about the games when he totally just disappears..I just don't get that. Anyway...we always let guys go when they want too much money. After all...we are not the Rams...
    I don't know if he disappears. I think what happened is after he was having a bunch of success catching long passes and scoring TDs, opposing DCs schemed to take him away with double teams.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Williams is a reliable, clutch receiver. It’s obvious Herbert trusts him. Telesco needs to resign Williams and stop letting good players go to other teams and excel.

Is Williams perfect and injury risk free? No. Nobody is.
    But what about the games when he totally just disappears..I just don't get that. Anyway...we always let guys go when they want too much money. After all...we are not the Rams...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X