POLL: If You Could Fix One Position on the Roster, Which Would it Be?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He only played the first half.
    Really missing his physicality to go with Linval.
    Yeah, good point. Justin Jones has only played 16 total snaps (all against WFT in the 1st half) so far this year. And to his credit, WFT only ran for 50 yards in the 1st half.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

RT,. I still think the defense will get better in time and Justin Jones will be back.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

IMHO it's RB.

Teams are recognizing that they need a 1-2 punch here.
        We don't quite have the second piece. Prolly Round 2.

All the talk about DT fails to take into account the fact that we scheme to tempt opponents to run.
        Go back and reread Staley concepts.
        Give Zack Martin credit.
        This story will settle out as this season plays out.

Improvement at run defense will come from better tackling, greater familiarity with StaleyD, and improved health for JJones. Merrill will succeed Linval.
        Maybe Leal of TAMU will fall, but I doubt it.

There will be several quality IOLs available late Round 1.
        ORT is best addressed at UFA,
        according to the tea leaves.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Pass rusher or a Starting CB. Most likely pass rush as another consistent player to get the double teams off Joey and free up others too.

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
            Justin Jones is our best run defender. In the one game he’s played this year, WFT ran the ball for 126 yards.

In the 2 games he’s missed, opponents have run for 198 and 186, respectively.

Is there a chance we’re overreacting about our run defense because our best run defender is injured?
            Then we need depth.... DL is the prority.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              IMHO it's RB.

Teams are recognizing that they need a 1-2 punch here.
              We don't quite have the second piece. Prolly Round 2.

All the talk about DT fails to take into account the fact that we scheme to tempt opponents to run.
              Go back and reread Staley concepts.
              Give Zack Martin credit.
              This story will settle out as this season plays out.

Improvement at run defense will come from better tackling, greater familiarity with StaleyD, and improved health for JJones. Merrill will succeed Linval.
              Maybe Leal of TAMU will fall, but I doubt it.

There will be several quality IOLs available late Round 1.
              ORT is best addressed at UFA,
              according to the tea leaves.
              In that case, the Bolts better call up Fireplug Forrest from the PS right quick, before he gets poached!
              Last edited by Topcat; 09-29-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Staley’s defense invites the run. Why? Because it forces opponents to convert multiple 3rd downs per drive. The league average for 3rd down conversions is 40%. Statistically, this forces more punts and FG attempts than TDs.

So if our run defense seems a little weak, it’s because it’s designed that way. Yes, we would benefit with another quality IDL, but the situation isn’t as bad as the numbers indicate.
                That's what I'm trying to say!! In said 3rd downs Staley's defense has led to many players getting more splash plays/turnovers then projected per respective player. Campbell and White forcing fumbles and Asante getting INTs among others is taking tons of pressure off Bosa. All the while Murray is a bit late to take off while Tranquilizer looks ready to take his game to another level.

On the flip side our 3rd down....shoot even our 4th down game execution is top notch EVEN with the penalties. This is why I have modest concern of our run d which can only trend upwards at this point.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

This said fix, not draft......so in being hypothetical I said Kicker. If you have a Carlson or a Justin Tucker, what a peace of mind that must be. A kicker can be called on for 2 - 3 figgies and 2 - 3 extra points per game. That puts a kicker's direct point contribution at 8 - 12 points per game. 8 - 12 points for one player is huge within the context of a game, really it is. I lobbied hard for us to draft both Carlson and then Rodrigo Blankenship. Blankenship could have been had for a 7th rounder in 2020. Carlson went in the 5th, but the Vikings released him I believe and he landed in Vegas.

What I am saying is that for a "fix" that carries the biggest bang? Imma go with Kicker.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I still have hope that Storm Norton is an ascending player.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Tranquilizer looks ready to take his game to another level.
                      Tranquilizer...good one...gives me an idea...how about...Tranq Gun!

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

It's interesting so many people are clamouring for DT's.
                        A lot of guys here must remember YubaKing...he who was DESPERATE for the Chargers to draft a replacement for Jamaal....and he got ABSOLUTELY SLATED for it!
                        We've been lacking a presence in the middle of our line since JW left- it would be nice to have an anchor who could occupy multiple defenders, and push the pocket on occassion.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          It's interesting so many people are clamouring for DT's.
                          A lot of guys here must remember YubaKing...he who was DESPERATE for the Chargers to draft a replacement for Jamaal....and he got ABSOLUTELY SLATED for it!
                          We've been lacking a presence in the middle of our line since JW left- it would be nice to have an anchor who could occupy multiple defenders, and push the pocket on occassion.
                          10 posts a day repeating the same thing was over the top. More than posts even, they were more like short stories. And very few disputed the need for a run defending nose tackle, just not in the first. And I still go by the belief that 1st round picks should excel in the passing game.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X