How close are you to your breaking point over Chargers possibly leaving San Diego?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Comic Con is next...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• TABF
      Por debajo del promedio
      • Jun 2013
      • SoCal
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      Jeez. Are there still people who believe sports stadiums are an economic benefit to a city?

I want a stadium built for selfish reasons - I love the San Diego Chargers and don't want them to leave. The city of San Diego would take a loss financially with a new stadium, but not so much to outweigh my personal satisfaction over there still being a team called the San Diego Chargers.

I'm not going to pretend the stadium is somehow good for everybody. It's not. Studies have been done on the economic benefits of stadiums, and every non-biased study I have read has finished with the conclusion that stadiums, in total, are money losers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...sotas-economy/
      Let us remember that the city is not a "for profit" enterprise. A stadium is not a money maker, but neither is a library, or a pot hole ridden road. But the city is respnsible to provide for their tax payers. The city puts forth money to provide for their continuants with no direct ROI. A stadium and events at said stadium are net gains for people within the "city". Lots of people are greatly rewarded with a new stadium [or library] many ways over. You can be a visitor of the city built facility and be rewarded in that manner or you could be an employee of the city built facility and gain those rewards, or you can work in an enterprise that flourishes because of that city built facility.

In the end, why does a city repair roads, pay for cops and fire, build libraries, provide and maintain a concrete boardwalk, etc...? All cost the city and none provide direct funds back.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
        Colosseum - most famous for battles to the death and the torturous execution of slaves, Christians, and Jews.
        Library of Alexandria - most famous for education and for being destroyed by idiots and warlords

The following I copied and pasted from: http://pld.dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/...raryimpact.pdf
        Wasn't the library in Alexandria also the site of many acts of violence, murder and destruction/burning? I seem to recall the death of one of Head Librarian of Alexandria being flayed to death with oyster shells.

As for the central library they had to cut the budget for the regional libraries to build this monument to the past. Great if you live downtown but the majority of people that use the library system in the county don't.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          As for the central library they had to cut the budget for the regional libraries to build this monument to the past. Great if you live downtown but the majority of people that use the library system in the county don't.
          It's a city library isn't it? County has nothing to do with it.
          http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/ 35 city libraries.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
            Respect.
            Personally, I can't get past the cast. Keanu Reeves is one of the worst actors of all-time. Swayze is not much better, but Keanu is so bad it is painful. I could barely watch The Matrix, and have never seen them all.....and the Matrix was a good and ground breaking movie....just wish anyone else was the lead actor. A cardboard cutout could do a better acting job.
            My brother's BIL is a producer. He has worked with Keanu Reeves on a couple of movies and he has said his acting skills aren't the greatest but on one of the movies he produced Keanu actually gave money back so they could bring in Charlize Theron and stay within their budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Den60 View Post
              My brother's BIL is a producer. He has worked with Keanu Reeves on a couple of movies and he has said his acting skills aren't the greatest but on one of the movies he produced Keanu actually gave money back so they could bring in Charlize Theron and stay within their budget.
              I would give up a lot of money to bring Charlize in too.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Pic please!
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Nothing I can do about it. If it happens, it happens. If it don't, it don't.

Sun should still rise tomorrow, and it's going to rain tonight were I live regardless.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Jon wick is a good flick

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Charlize Theron
                      Excellent!

Keanu Reeves
                      Bogus!

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                        You could still have your weekly library trip even if that new multi-million dollar money pit hadn't been built. There was no need to build that over extravagant facility. It was/is a redundant waste of public funds. Was the library even put to a vote? If not, it should have been.
                        IIRC, it was funded with tobacco settlement money, thus no public vote was needed.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Should we combine this with the other stadium threads, or just rename this one the Official Library thread?
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X