How close are you to your breaking point over Chargers possibly leaving San Diego?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Pretty simple replacement cost....

http://www.thefreelibrary.com just one of many.

Actually, I agree with the historical benefit to society of public libraries. I very much disagree with the methodologies used in the articles to value the services and economic impact.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

I'm closer to the breaking point reading arguments about libraries.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
        We already have plenty of stadium threads, libraries are only in 2.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          point break.jpg

For those of you who don't know, Point Break is a great movie.
          Now you know.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
            [ATTACH]712[/ATTACH]

For those of you who don't know, Point Break is a great movie.
            Now you know.
            Pls tell me you are joking. Regardless, it made me laugh and that's always a good thing.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              Pls tell me you are joking. Regardless, it made me laugh and that's always a good thing.
              A realistic documentary on what it takes to go from newby to superstar night surfer in a couple days? No.

An action movie filled with original conflicts and random excuses for "extreme" sports scenes? Mos def.

Go San Diego Chargers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

A realistic documentary on what it takes to go from newby to superstar night surfer in a couple days? No.

An action movie filled with semi-original conflicts and random excuses for "extreme" sports scenes and high-risk criminal activity, plus a rad excuse for escaping the wife and getting drunk and foul-mouthed with the fellas? Mos def.

Go San Diego Chargers!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

An action movie filled with original conflicts and random excuses for "extreme" sports scenes? Mos def.

Go San Diego Chargers!
                  Respect.
                  Personally, I can't get past the cast. Keanu Reeves is one of the worst actors of all-time. Swayze is not much better, but Keanu is so bad it is painful. I could barely watch The Matrix, and have never seen them all.....and the Matrix was a good and ground breaking movie....just wish anyone else was the lead actor. A cardboard cutout could do a better acting job.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Respect.
                    Personally, I can't get past the cast. Keanu Reeves is one of the worst actors of all-time. Swayze is not much better, but Keanu is so bad it is painful. I could barely watch The Matrix, and have never seen them all.....and the Matrix was a good and ground breaking movie....just wish anyone else was the lead actor. A cardboard cutout could do a better acting job.
                    Keanu isn't a good actor, but he's great at picking good movies to be in.

Keanu is the Gale Gilbert of acting.

And lay off the Swayz. Road House rules. RIP.

Effing A. I'm off-topic again.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                      I think it's funny that people can get on their soapboxes about the library, but expect the city to mostly pay for the stadium. Ya we're football fans and Charger fans, but a new stadium is a special interest group subsidy. Let's be real here, in fiscal terms, it's a losing proposition for the city. There are other enriching aspects to it that one may be able to make a persuasive argument that it's overall a worthwhile investment, but economically I think the claim is tenuous at best that it's a good economic investment for the city.
                      Libraries are obsolete and instead of public funds maintaining them and/or building gaudy new ones hard print copy should be left to the already thousands of existing libraries in the University and education systems in this country. And, this article from SD says that the team and NFL will "mostly pay for the stadium", not the city. The same article says that the teamand NFL would go on to make their money back, but someone here says that stadiums don't make money....hmmm :thinking:
                      sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

I don't know the whole story behind the over-the-top library. But I do know, in my adopted city, I use the library a lot more often than I use the city's and the surrounding cities' multitude of sports stadiums.

The only time I've been in a sports stadium here is when I went to see Bruce Springsteen. The tickets I scored for free, but everything else - parking, paying somebody for a pit-pass wristband, and beer - cost a small fortune. ... Okay, I lied. I did check out one Diamondbacks game two years ago. Again - free tickets, costly parking and beer.

I go to the library weekly. The only thing that's ever cost me was a 50-cent late fee and whatever amount of my tax dollars go toward a library fund.

Perhaps the San Diego library was a bad investment - you'd know more than me (well, maybe not - you don't live in San Diego anymore either). But I'm going to say, over the course of human history, libraries have been excellent uses of public funds. Public funds for sports stadiums? Not such good investments - not for the average taxpayer anyway.

Sorry I've become dramatic. Maybe it's from viewing all those episodes of Breaking Bad. Time to destroy this cell phone and get away from fried chicken places.
                        You could still have your weekly library trip even if that new multi-million dollar money pit hadn't been built. There was no need to build that over extravagant facility. It was/is a redundant waste of public funds. Was the library even put to a vote? If not, it should have been.
                        sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          Come on man, you can use them in your argument as support, but unbiased? The first link is an .edu, I assume written by a professor?
                          Hell, I can't even get his links to work. No matter there are equally as many reports that hail the merits of stadiums. Especially when it comes to attracting and keeping large revenue generating events.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X