• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Home team wins the close one.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

NFL Week 5 picks: Bills shock Chiefs in Kansas City, Chargers win thriller over Browns in Los Angeles

Wondering which NFL teams are going to win in Week 5? You've come to the right place to find out

By John Breech
      6 hrs ago 13 min read

Cleveland (3-1) at L.A. Chargers (3-1)

4:05 p.m. ET (CBS)

Latest Odds: Los Angeles Chargers -1.5

I'm not going to say that Browns coach Kevin Stefanski can turn water into wine, but I do know that he can work miracles and that's because he's worked one in Cleveland. Stefanski hasn't even been on the job for one and a half seasons and he already has more wins (15) than the Browns three previous coaches COMBINED (14).

The next miracle he's going to have to work is figuring out how to win a game in the pacific time zone, because that's something the Browns seem to struggle at. In their past 10 trips out west, the Browns have gone 1-9 straight-up and that only win came in 2012, which is like 27 coaches ago for the Browns.

The Browns will also be going into this game with a QB who's struggling with his accuracy. Since completing 90.5% of his passes against the Texans in Week 2, Baker Mayfield has forgotten how to throw the football. Over the past two weeks combined, Mayfield has thrown 30 incompletions (34 of 64) and completed just 53.1% of his passes. Of those 30 misses, I'm pretty sure 29 of them were thrown over Odell Beckham's head on Sunday against Minnesota.

Normally, when a quarterback is playing that badly, I'd pick his team to lose by three touchdowns, but this isn't a normal situation. For one, although the passing game isn't up to par, everything else seems to be clicking for the Browns from their defense to their running game to their special teams.

That middle one is probably the most important and that's because the Browns will be going up against a Chargers team that currently has one of the worst rush defenses in football. With Mayfield struggling, I won't be surprised if Stefanski calls 45 run plays in this game.

The Browns have played in two road games this year and they've both been decided by one score, so I guess that means that I should assume that this game is also going to be decided by one-score.

The pick: Chargers 23-20 over Browns
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Its a loseable game, sure...the Browns arent cupcakes...but if we play a clean game, we take it. Staley sells out on the run, makes Baker put it in the air with our secondary...and sooner or later he turns it over. Keep Herbert clean most of the game, and the defense we saw last night shows up, we should see similar results to Monday night...Bolts win 24-13.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

And Justin went on IR yesterday, so he's out for three more games.
          Strange because wasn’t he practicing in the first two practices last week? Must’ve had a pretty bad set back.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• cmplxgal
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • New Jersey
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
            Strange because wasn’t he practicing in the first two practices last week? Must’ve had a pretty bad set back.

Yes, he was limited but was practicing. I guess they figure he just needs to shut it down for a few weeks to completely heal.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Same thing for me. Slow their running game and get pressure on Baker and he is like Carr but he will run more.
              Mayfield has similar issues with pressure and is not anywhere near as good as Carr. But that OL is tremendous. And both Chubb and Hunt are phenomenal RB. And they have 3 really good TEs and use that package a lot. Browns are a very, very good team. And they are 3-1, easily could have been 4-0, just like our team. This is not the old Browns.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                Maybe I'm over-confident, but I think the Browns are going to be less of a problem than the Cowboys, Chiefs and Raiders. Mayfield has limitations as a QB, and Staley sure was prepared to shut down the Raiders' run game last night with the return of Jacobs. My confidence in Staley to prepare this team for each week's opponent grows exponentially after every game.
                I agree.... mayfield is not a great QB.... more of a solid game manager type..... this game should be slower and lower scoring with all the running that will occur whether successful or not..... runs drain the clock....

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree.... mayfield is not a great QB.... more of a solid game manager type..... this game should be slower and lower scoring with all the running that will occur whether successful or not..... runs drain the clock....
                  Only if they produce first downs.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Mayfield has similar issues with pressure and is not anywhere near as good as Carr. But that OL is tremendous. And both Chubb and Hunt are phenomenal RB. And they have 3 really good TEs and use that package a lot. Browns are a very, very good team. And they are 3-1, easily could have been 4-0, just like our team. This is not the old Browns.

TG
                    agree with all of that.... this will be a very tough physical game, that likely will be low scoring and close..... as long as Chargers bring their lunch pails to stop the run or at least slow them down stoping them on key plays..... Cleveland is a very big, strong, physical team..... we can throw on their defense as long as Herbie gets some time and we spread the ball around....

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

After the next two games is the bye week. Calf injuries are tricky and they want him fully available for the second half of the season and the playoffs.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

The next 2 games are HUGE! The schedule softens up a bit after the bye. If we can just beat the Browns and Ravens. If we win both those games we will be set up for a great 2nd half of the season. Their defense worries me. Not on Slaters side. But Storm.... Ugh. They are going to either need to chip with RB or slide coverage to that side. I just wish we had an above average RT. I have noticed Storm completely whiffing with his initial right punch on a few seperate occasions. I hope they are coaching him up on that.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                          The next 2 games are HUGE! The schedule softens up a bit after the bye. If we can just beat the Browns and Ravens. If we win both those games we will be set up for a great 2nd half of the season. Their defense worries me. Not on Slaters side. But Storm.... Ugh. They are going to either need to chip with RB or slide coverage to that side. I just wish we had an above average RT. I have noticed Storm completely whiffing with his initial right punch on a few seperate occasions. I hope they are coaching him up on that.
                          Not to give away games but I do think splitting the next two weeks and the team would be set up fine post bye But you are right, if they beat both Cleve and Ravens - that bodes very well. The Chargers would own tie breakers (and I get KC and the RAiders can still do something about it) over 4 top teams in the AFC.

But can't get too far ahead - figure out how to keep the West coast road woes for the Factory of Sadness to continue. Cleveland is 1-9 in their last 10 road games on the west coast. Granted, when you have been a pretty bad team - they weren't winning anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X