• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Maybe I'm over-confident, but I think the Browns are going to be less of a problem than the Cowboys, Chiefs and Raiders. Mayfield has limitations as a QB, and Staley sure was prepared to shut down the Raiders' run game last night with the return of Jacobs. My confidence in Staley to prepare this team for each week's opponent grows exponentially after every game.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I don't think Staley's going to play the same style of defense against them. I think he's very apt at game planning versus opponents rather than a one size fits-all scheme.
      Yep. The only other coach I've seen that adept at doing this is Bill Belichick.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yep. The only other coach I've seen that adept at doing this is Bill Belichick.
        I am not going to go that far after 4 games when Hoodie has close to 25 years as Head ball coach with the Browns and Patriots. But I will say it does seem Staley has ideas about every phase of the team. And though he calls the defensive plays, he seems to have input on offense and defense too,

The Browns game plan will be what is best to beat the Browns. Not just a continuation of a style of play with minor tweaks for the Browns. The RAiders took away the WRs so the TEs had big nights.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          We need Chris Jones back. Stop the run and double/triple team Garrett. Baker can get hot on you if you give him all day. Browns are all around a well built team and really target us where we are weak(run defense). We're just gonna need to score early and often and have them try and keep up with us score for score.
          Justin. If we had Chris it would be better.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not going to go that far after 4 games when Hoodie has close to 25 years as Head ball coach with the Browns and Patriots. But I will say it does seem Staley has ideas about every phase of the team. And though he calls the defensive plays, he seems to have input on offense and defense too,

The Browns game plan will be what is best to beat the Browns. Not just a continuation of a style of play with minor tweaks for the Browns. The RAiders took away the WRs so the TEs had big nights.
            Ekeler also stepped up big time. I'll tell you what, I had some question marks about Staley before the season. The last two preseason games there was some undisciplined, sloppy ball. I questioned the decision to release Tyron Johnson. But now I don't question anything he does. He knows exactly what he's doing. I think he's got the best football mind of any coach this team has ever had.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Cleveland seems to really have been struggling on offense scoring with the pass. Heavy run attack is going to be their MO. I think we can probably hold safeties up towards the line more and I think the disguise is going to make it tougher for Mayfield to pick the right plays. I do believe we can stop the run more and Staley knows well the risks. Kareem Hunt is their top receiver with only 121 yards! They have really struggled in the pass game and while they have Njoku as TE and OBJ I think Staley will contain them compared to KC and Oak that had better passing games for us to contain. Would love to have Jones back in rotation. Covington and Merrill have done well though....but rotation keeps them fresh.

After last nights game this is going to be a major challenge for the Browns to dissect to come up with a strategy to put points up. 2 out of 11 TDs have been passing...they really rely on the run.

I think this is going to come down to how good their D plays against us. We were pressured pretty consistently last night but still found wrinkles to expose and put up 28. Good chess match here.

I think the pundits will lean on Cleveland to win since they were overwhelming odds early to be fighting for the AFC title. But we weren't really included since we were a complete unknown. Last 2 games are showing something here....we can't be overlooked and Staley comes to play.

Most likely a close one. We score fast though and they rely only on the run and we are setup for success.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

On D we play our pre snap alignment 50% of the time. We had plenty of cover 3, full run fit last night, we just didn't line up like that. Adderley is really improving as a run defender and ut's showing.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                  Justin. If we had Chris it would be better.

And Justin went on IR yesterday, so he's out for three more games.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

And Justin went on IR yesterday, so he's out for three more games.
                    2 more
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

2 more

Right. Thank you.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                        Cleveland seems to really have been struggling on offense scoring with the pass. Heavy run attack is going to be their MO. I think we can probably hold safeties up towards the line more and I think the disguise is going to make it tougher for Mayfield to pick the right plays. I do believe we can stop the run more and Staley knows well the risks. Kareem Hunt is their top receiver with only 121 yards! They have really struggled in the pass game and while they have Njoku as TE and OBJ I think Staley will contain them compared to KC and Oak that had better passing games for us to contain. Would love to have Jones back in rotation. Covington and Merrill have done well though....but rotation keeps them fresh.

After last nights game this is going to be a major challenge for the Browns to dissect to come up with a strategy to put points up. 2 out of 11 TDs have been passing...they really rely on the run.

I think this is going to come down to how good their D plays against us. We were pressured pretty consistently last night but still found wrinkles to expose and put up 28. Good chess match here.

I think the pundits will lean on Cleveland to win since they were overwhelming odds early to be fighting for the AFC title. But we weren't really included since we were a complete unknown. Last 2 games are showing something here....we can't be overlooked and Staley comes to play.

Most likely a close one. We score fast though and they rely only on the run and we are setup for success.
                        Baker Mayfield is like Derek Carr. If you rattle him enough, he'll be shaken in his confidence. Staley is probably going to defend Njoku the same way he defended Kelce and Waller. The Browns have a talented team, but like the Chargers pre-Staley, they aren't quite there.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Same thing for me. Slow their running game and get pressure on Baker and he is like Carr but he will run more.

Comment

Working...
                          X