• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    So you don't quite understand the Padres chronology either. Got it.
    I am not a fool to think the city Of SD had the capacity to build both stadiums at the same time regardless of your rationalizations.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      I am not a fool to think the city Of SD had the capacity to build both stadiums at the same time regardless of your rationalizations.
      No, but the Padres seized the moment and the Chargers did not. The city proposed the upgrades to the Chargers first, the Chargers could have countered with a new stadium. The Chargers were clearly the priority at the time since the Padres were in a massive tailspin and Moores just bought the team from the Werner group. This criticism of the Padres and the city is selective memory. I get you want to hold onto your belief that the city caused everything but it's simply not true, the Chargers had a hand in it too.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

I find no evidence that the Padres were forced out of Qualcomm or that they seized any moment. That appears to be an individual interpretation. PetCo was approved by voters as part of a Downtown reinvigoration project. The City renovated the Q just to pacify the Chargers and the Chargers are guilty of accepting that. What were they supposed to do? Demand a stadium of their own? Then they really would have looked like the bad guys/cry babies and it would have never been approved. They tried the patient low key route and this is what it got them. Now that they start to move on Plan B, the City is mad that their last minute, half baked plan isn't taken seriously.

Like I said earlier, if the Spani came out and put all their cards on the table I doubt anyone would believe them.
        sigpic

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          I find no evidence that the Padres were forced out of Qualcomm or that they seized any moment. That appears to be an individual interpretation. PetCo was approved by voters as part of a Downtown reinvigoration project. The City renovated the Q just to pacify the Chargers and the Chargers are guilty of accepting that. What were they supposed to do? Demand a stadium of their own? Then they really would have looked like the bad guys/cry babies and it would have never been approved. They tried the patient low key route and this is what it got them. Now that they start to move on Plan B, the City is mad that their last minute, half baked plan isn't taken seriously.

Like I said earlier, if the Spani came out and put all their cards on the table I doubt anyone would believe them.
          You need to do some research then. The renovation of the Q forced the Padres to take the position that they needed their own ballpark to be competitive within MLB - if you take the position that this situation doesn't "force them" to leave, it can be applied to the current Q and the Chargers as well (I do believe the Chargers need a new venue). So rather than make demands or be obtuse, the Padres set forth to work with the city. They did exactly what you state would have gotten the citizenry "up in arms" if the Chargers took that tack; the Padres took initiative on their own to build their own venue. They worked with the city, not against them, and there were naysayers on the city council (not to mention the public gadflies like Henderson, Aguirre, and Rider) at the time so it wasn't smooth sailing by any means.

Where the Chargers messed up was accepting the city's gift AND THEN coming out a few years later wanting a stadium. If a stadium was what they wanted they should have pursued that when they were the darlings of the city. It was only after the Padres got Petco Park rolling did the Chargers look wistfully "over there" and coveted what the Padres accomplished.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Not anymore. Why would you believe proven liars?
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
              Nah. The Spanoses just form the dick of the Satanic Voltron, a.k.a. the NFL.
              Somebody please rep Satanic Voltron!
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                You need to do some research then. The renovation of the Q forced the Padres to take the position that they needed their own ballpark to be competitive within MLB - if you take the position that this situation doesn't "force them" to leave, it can be applied to the current Q and the Chargers as well (I do believe the Chargers need a new venue). So rather than make demands or be obtuse, the Padres set forth to work with the city. They did exactly what you state would have gotten the citizenry "up in arms" if the Chargers took that tack; the Padres took initiative on their own to build their own venue. They worked with the city, not against them, and there were naysayers on the city council (not to mention the public gadflies like Henderson, Aguirre, and Rider) at the time so it wasn't smooth sailing by any means.

Where the Chargers messed up was accepting the city's gift AND THEN coming out a few years later wanting a stadium. If a stadium was what they wanted they should have pursued that when they were the darlings of the city. It was only after the Padres got Petco Park rolling did the Chargers look wistfully "over there" and coveted what the Padres accomplished.
                Or I could just say 'link?' I'm not going to go back and scrub the time line. I think you're using the term 'forced' loosely' and it really makes no difference now. There is no way the City or the voters were gonna approve 2 stadiums at the same time. In hindsight perhaps the best thing for the Bolts to do back then was to turn down the renovation and request that the money be put towards a future stadium after the completion of PetCo, but that irrelevant too. The Spani waited at the bargaining table long enough and got nothing. Now that they put 'Plan B' into motion the City wants to react. Too late. Maybe the Spani could have handled the PR part better, but we don't know if there were other business related reasons for keeping their hand close to their chest. Regardless of how they have handled there is no doubt in my mind that they were gonna piss off some people along the way. Just the nature of the beast. I'm not happy about, but I understand their position. I will truly miss Charger football.
                sigpic

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Or I could just say 'link?' I'm not going to go back and scrub the time line. I think you're using the term 'forced' loosely' and it really makes no difference now. There is no way the City or the voters were gonna approve 2 stadiums at the same time.

I don't think "forced" is being used loosely at all. They made a business decision just as the Chargers are doing now. If you can't use "forced" in regards to the Padres, then you can't with the Chargers either, though I believe the Chargers are "forced" to seek a new stadium as well. It's their tactics I vehemently disagree with.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Good read 6025, but it contradicts some of your statements. You see it your way I see it mine. I've had enough.
                    sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The Spani waited at the bargaining table long enough and got nothing. Now that they put 'Plan B' into motion the City wants to react. Too late.
                      Proven wrong twice.
                      1. At the beginning of this mayor's term, the City was proactive in engaging the Chargers about a new stadium, and Chargers told them them to wait.
                      2. City started process in January, and THEN the Chargers blindsided everybody with the Carson announcement.

One business reason for keeping their hand close to their chest could be that they want ticket revenue for this year.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Working...
                      X