• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Agree with the last sentence. No more Kellys or Rountrees. Of course, Ekeler was an UDFA, so go figure.

As for the rest of your post, interestingly, I think the Melvin Gordon comparison is a LOT more accurate then comparing him to LT. And I think our fear is going to be realized in this draft: We won't take a RB in Round 1; we have no Round 2. So - at best - we're looking at a Round 3 guy. I guess there's some value to be had in that round at the RB position, but there's just as big a risk that we're getting another Kelly (who, if I'm not mistaken, was taken in the 3rd round).

IMO, there are still a couple of good RBs that can be had in FA. We're looking for a compliment to Ekeler; not a replacement or a 'bell cow'. I say use our two highest draft picks are the other positions that need attention and sign a FA to pair with Ekeler.
    We already have a RB with that name on our team !
    Last edited by Maniaque 6; 04-01-2022, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Agree with the last sentence. No more Kellys or Rountrees. Of course, Ekeler was an UDFA, so go figure.
      Too early to make a decree on Rountree. Lets see what he can do with more opportunities.

As for Kelly. He's been disappointing since the first two games in the league.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Serious question
        can Treylon Burks carry the ball to be an Ekeler type
        Maybe split carries and targets with Ekeler
        So maybe be RB2 and WR3?
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• pigskin
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Southern Oregon
          • Send PM

Late round (7th or FA) flyer

ZANDER HORVATH FB PURDUE | NFL DRAFT PROFILE & SCOUTING REPORT
          40 TIME: 4.57 SECONDS
          HEIGHT: 6-3 WEIGHT: 232
          HANDS: 8 6/8 ARMS: 32 SPAN: 76 4/8
          DATE OF BIRTH: 12/10/1998 AGE: 23.3
          Strengths
          • Improving patience as a runner, following pulling guards, and makes good decisions on his cut.
          • Doesn't possess elite breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam.
          • Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat linebacker to the edge.
          • A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact.
          • Difficult to bring down one-on-one in space, regularly sidesteps would-be tacklers and uses offhand to use oncoming defenders' momentum against them without slowing down significantly.
          • Is an excellent pass blocker - used extensively as a pass protector in college
          • Versitile - recruited as a linebacker, and has played running back, fullback, and a big contributor on special teams
          • Very good hands - soft and reliable and could easily become a security blanket for pro QBs
          • An incredibly physical ballcarrier who rarely goes down to initial contact.
          • Fights for extra yardage and is reliable in short-yardage situations.
          • At Perdue's pro day demonstrated impressive athleticism with a 4.57 40 at 230 lbs and 31 reps on the bench
          • Was mainly used as a regular runni9ng back at Perdue but projects to full back in the NFL
          Weaknesses
          • Suffered a lower-body (broke his fibula) injury in 2021 - will need to check out medically
          • Hasn't had the experience you would look for as a fullback - having mainly played as a running back. Was underused as a ball carrier

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

I'm all aboard the Pierre Strong Jr. train...... Could be a great RB to complement EK's game!

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I know it's easy to write him off considering he missed all last season and played sparingly as a rookie but I still think Joe Reed can be a RB/WR for us. He is signed and he did run the ball a few times as a rookie and is 224 LBs

Just saying he could be in the plans but I'd still look at a RB like Ford and Zamir White in round 3 or 4.

Do hope we can get an extra 3rd by trading down a little.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Serious question
                can Treylon Burks carry the ball to be an Ekeler type
                Maybe split carries and targets with Ekeler
                So maybe be RB2 and WR3?
                That’s interesting. He carry out of the backfield at all in college?

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  I know it's easy to write him off considering he missed all last season and played sparingly as a rookie but I still think Joe Reed can be a RB/WR for us. He is signed and he did run the ball a few times as a rookie and is 224 LBs

Just saying he could be in the plans but I'd still look at a RB like Ford and Zamir White in round 3 or 4.

Do hope we can get an extra 3rd by trading down a little.
                  Joe Reed to an RB/WR ala Deebo/Cordarrelle is a nice story but it's most likely a pipe dream. Though they did re-sign him and want to keep him for a reason, that is encouraging, and I look forward to seeing what he can do. But as for a true back up/compliment to Ekeler, I'm not seeing it.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Get me a big back. A short yardage monster. One I can call "snow plow".
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Marlon Mack is signing with the Texans. He obviously didn't get a good offer from Telesco.

Comment

• pigskin
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Southern Oregon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Get me a big back. A short yardage monster. One I can call "snow plow".
                        See my post about Zander Horvath

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Joe Reed to an RB/WR ala Deebo/Cordarrelle is a nice story but it's most likely a pipe dream. Though they did re-sign him and want to keep him for a reason, that is encouraging, and I look forward to seeing what he can do. But as for a true back up/compliment to Ekeler, I'm not seeing it.
                          When it comes down to it, the big thing the O can probably do is find a way to get more out of Ekeler in terms of big plays, which means getting him more into the passing game, and then just general development of the TE and other WR. If we add another player or two, fine, but I just don't think we have the commitment to the running game that the 49ers do to be looking for the next Deebo Samuels to use in the backfield. If the 49ers had a better QB situation, they would be doing more to get him the ball downfield. Had we signed him, you aren't going to take the ball out of the hands of Herbert in favor of Patterson to try and generate a big play.

We can always try the get the ball to the Reed as a way to let him get the ball, but he has to do something with it. He is a good enough athlete to do so, but he has to develop some skills and time is running out on that. We are already crowded at WR, so RB might be his best chance to make the team. But that is still a long shot. If he is going to make it, his best shot is to excel at ST, especially as a returner. That looked like his best bet when he was drafted, and it hasn't worked out. It's just going to get harder and harder as we keep bringing in more guys and fill the roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X