• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Interview of Ken Walker....

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Ladainian Thomlinson's 40 yard dash time is 4.43
      Kenneth Walker's 40 yard dash time is 4.46
      I was being facetious when I said 5th rounder; just trying to rattle your cage. I meant no disrespect, certainly. But straight line speed, as in a 40-yard dash, is not a great indicator of quickness. But you know that, I'm sure. If you watch tape of LT, and I'm sure you have, you'd notice how SICK some his moves were. Just otherworldly stuff. Barry Sanders-like. LT was a generational talent, and he was a Charger, so I guess I'm a bit protective of his legacy.

Walker may turn out to be a fine NFL back. I just don't see LT in him. And I certainly wouldn't draft him with our #17 pick. In fact, I wouldn't even spend a 2nd on him, if we had one. Just a difference of opinion. And I'm only going off the highlights that you linked in your post. Which is probably not be a totally fair way to formulate an opinion of the guy.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I was being facetious when I said 5th rounder; just trying to rattle your cage. I meant no disrespect, certainly. But straight line speed, as in a 40-yard dash, is not a great indicator of quickness. But you know that, I'm sure. If you watch tape of LT, and I'm sure you have, you'd notice how SICK some his moves were. Just otherworldly stuff. Barry Sanders-like. LT was a generational talent, and he was a Charger, so I guess I'm a bit protective of his legacy.

Walker may turn out to be a fine NFL back. I just don't see LT in him. And I certainly wouldn't draft him with our #17 pick. In fact, I wouldn't even spend a 2nd on him, if we had one. Just a difference of opinion. And I'm only going off the highlights that you linked in your post. Which is probably not be a totally fair way to formulate an opinion of the guy.
        I do see a bit of LT in him, he has that style IMO. He's quick, can make people miss with his physicality and jukes. But not to the extent that LT had those skills. Probably. More like LT light. He also gets caught from behind when he gets in a foot race with DBs, which is OK, if you regularly have the burst and quickness to get to the 2nd and 3rd level of a defense, you are going to be successful in the NFL even lacking elite speed. But LT had that break-away game speed, which belies 40 times, where once he got into the open behind a defense, nobody could catch him.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Booker is still out there, right?
          For a 1 year stop gap, as a Robin to Ekeler's Batman?
          Get it done, TT!

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I do see a bit of LT in him, he has that style IMO. He's quick, can make people miss with his physicality and jukes. But not to the extent that LT had those skills. Probably. More like LT light. He also gets caught from behind when he gets in a foot race with DBs, which is OK, if you regularly have the burst and quickness to get to the 2nd and 3rd level of a defense, you are going to be successful in the NFL even lacking elite speed. But LT had that break-away game speed, which belies 40 times, where once he got into the open behind a defense, nobody could catch him.
            This guy is still better than Melvin Gordon by far. If we can't get this guy I hope we trade down and grab Breece Hall. We are thin at running back and unless we have a solid plan I'm tired of taking shots at sixth rounders who are JAGS.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Here is what I mean by LT's unmatched break-away speed. I've never seen another RB accelerate like LT could, and LT had great vision. Rare to find all of that in one player.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

This guy is still better than Melvin Gordon by far. If we can't get this guy I hope we trade down and grab Breece Hall. We are thin at running back and unless we have a solid plan I'm tired of taking shots at sixth rounders who are JAGS.
                Agree with the last sentence. No more Kellys or Rountrees. Of course, Ekeler was an UDFA, so go figure.

As for the rest of your post, interestingly, I think the Melvin Gordon comparison is a LOT more accurate then comparing him to LT. And I think our fear is going to be realized in this draft: We won't take a RB in Round 1; we have no Round 2. So - at best - we're looking at a Round 3 guy. I guess there's some value to be had in that round at the RB position, but there's just as big a risk that we're getting another Kelly (who, if I'm not mistaken, was taken in the 3rd round).

IMO, there are still a couple of good RBs that can be had in FA. We're looking for a compliment to Ekeler; not a replacement or a 'bell cow'. I say use our two highest draft picks are the other positions that need attention and sign a FA to pair with Ekeler.
                Last edited by QSmokey; 03-31-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Grab Marlon Mack and go trenches in the 1st and 3rd.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

LT's spin move.

Comment

• Tol
                      From Accounting
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Carlsbad
                      • Send PM

A couple RB's I look to when mock drafting are James Cook and Hassan Haskins. Cook is what? 3rd round value and Haskins a day 3 pick maybe? Without a 2nd round pick, no way we draft a backup in the 3rd, but if he slips to the 4th, I can see it. And I believe Haskins in the type of day 3 RB who will make the GM who drafts him look really good.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        LT's spin move.

Here's my 1b if we don't draft Walker. Looks like Breece has been watching LT for awhile.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Here's my 1b if we don't draft Walker. Looks like Breece has been watching LT for awhile.

Except *I* can outrun Hall, it would appear. LOL! What am I missing here with these RB 'highlights'? They look, well, kinda sluggish. NOTHING like LaDainian Tomlinson. No real quickness or scary speed. Am I just spoiled by the memory of LT? Ekeler looks more like LT than either of those guys. Just say no to drafting a RB early, is what I say. And by early I mean prior to the 4th round. Although a 4th-round-or-later RB is all also a waste...unless the next Austin Ekeler is hiding somewhere out of sight. But if TT is dead set on drafting a RB early (God forbid, 1st round; or even 3rd round), I think it's a waste of a draft pick.

Just sign Marlon Mack. Or DeVonta Freeman. Or Sony Michel. Hell, even Melvin Gordon. Draft OL, and/or CB and/or LB.

Comment

Working...
                          X