• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    D'Ernest Johnson. The third back on Clev's roster behind Chubb.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...J/JohnDE04.htm

534 yds in a back up role, 5.3 yds per carry, 3 TDs in 2021. At least 5 yds per carry in each of his three seasons. Nineteen catches in 2021.

Read this morning he might be a fit for what the Bolts are looking for. Undrafted out of the Univ of South Florida in 2019. 5-10, 208 lbs. A restricted free agent this year.
    He would but he is a RFA so if they tender him with a draft pick, we would have to give them a pick to sign him. Maybe they wont tender him that way but Telesco isnt going to give up a draft pick for him. Depends on how much Clevelands wants to pay him. After seeing the new tender salaries and thinking about it, he is off my list...unless he gets the lowest tender.

Johnson was undrafted so if they put an original round tender on him then we wont need to give up a pick but he will cost us 2.43 mil....which is fine If they tender him with a round of draft pick he will cost more and we will have to give up a draft pick they tendered him with...plus pay him more. A 2nd round tender for example will cost 3.9 mil, plus the pick.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He would but he is a RFA so if they tender him with a draft pick, we would have to give them a pick to sign him. Maybe they wont tender him that way but Telesco isnt going to give up a draft pick for him. Depends on how much Clevelands wants to pay him. After seeing the new tender salaries and thinking about it, he is off my list...unless he gets the lowest tender.

Johnson was undrafted so if they put an original round tender on him then we wont need to give up a pick but he will cost us 2.43 mil....which is fine If they tender him with a round of draft pick he will cost more and we will have to give up a draft pick they tendered him with...plus pay him more. A 2nd round tender for example will cost 3.9 mil, plus the pick.
      Yeah, not a 2nd round tender. I don't know how the tenders work exactly, but if the Chargers could get him for a 4th round pick, well Telesco spent a 4th round pick on Kelley, so IMO it would be worth it to get a guy who is a proven NFL commodity who is just entering his prime without a lot of wear and tear.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Yeah, not a 2nd round tender. I don't know how the tenders work exactly, but if the Chargers could get him for a 4th round pick, well Telesco spent a 4th round pick on Kelley, so IMO it would be worth it to get a guy who is a proven NFL commodity who is just entering his prime without a lot of wear and tear.
        These are the rules below but last years salaries. They are higher this year(click link to see this years salaries). So as i said it depends on what Cleveland wants to pay him. Its going to be at least 2.43 mil (this years salary). If they value him more (not sure Hunt is signed) then he will likely get a 2nd round tender since he was undrafted.

Anything after the first 2 id be ok with.

There are four levels of RFA tenders that can be offered to a player. The salaries for each tender are currently projected numbers by Over the Cap.
        • First-round tender: The greater of $4.766 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s first-round selection in the upcoming draft.
        • Second-round tender: The greater of $3.384 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s second-round selection in the upcoming draft.
        • Original-round tender: The greater of $2.33 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives a draft pick equivalent to where the player was originally selected.
        • Right of first refusal tender: $2.33 million. If the original team declines to match the offer sheet, then there is no draft pick compensation in association.

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Is there some sort of RB PR firm I don't know about that makes posts about how important RBs are? This is like the thread from last year "When was the last team to win a SB without a stud at RB?"

Did anyone watch the SB 2 weeks ago. The Rams won without a stud RB and without any running game at all. In fact, running almost cost them the game. This is a passing league. The Rams won because they got after the passer and Eli Apple couldn't cover.

Ekeler is a better back than anyone on the Rams and as good as Mixon, if not better. I'm fine if you want to take a backup RB somewhere in the mid-late rounds, or sign a cheap FA to lessen the workload of Ekeler a little, but he should still get the vast majority of snaps.

The Chargers are better off using their resources (especially high draft picks) for things other than a RB. Fix the run game by investing in OL or TE. To the extent the run game is important then pick up a DT and fix the run defense. Get another WR if MW walks. Get a slot corner who can take a crosser to the house. That element is missing more than any element in our run game. Get a CB so we don't get Eli Apple'd.

If you are spending a 2nd round pick on a back up RB you are doing it wrong if you don't have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

These are the rules below but last years salaries. They are higher this year(click link to see this years salaries). So as i said it depends on what Cleveland wants to pay him. Its going to be at least 2.43 mil (this years salary). If they value him more (not sure Hunt is signed) then he will likely get a 2nd round tender since he was undrafted.

Anything after the first 2 id be ok with.

There are four levels of RFA tenders that can be offered to a player. The salaries for each tender are currently projected numbers by Over the Cap.
            • First-round tender: The greater of $4.766 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s first-round selection in the upcoming draft.
            • Second-round tender: The greater of $3.384 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s second-round selection in the upcoming draft.
            • Original-round tender: The greater of $2.33 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives a draft pick equivalent to where the player was originally selected.
            • Right of first refusal tender: $2.33 million. If the original team declines to match the offer sheet, then there is no draft pick compensation in association.
            Hunt is signed through this season and Chubb through 2024. But Chubb is only costing the Browns $5.2 mil this season and Hunt $6.25 mil. Chubb goes up to $14.8 mil in 2023, so for this season they may be willing to play D'Ernest Johnson, given how valuable he was last season when both Hunt and Chubb missed time, and because they don't have a lot invested in both Hunt and Chubb for 2021.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Hunt is signed through this season and Chubb through 2024. But Chubb is only costing the Browns $5.2 mil this season and Hunt $6.25 mil. Chubb goes up to $14.8 mil in 2023, so for this season they may be willing to play D'Ernest Johnson, given how valuable he was last season when both Hunt and Chubb missed time, and because they don't have a lot invested in both Hunt and Chubb for 2021.
              I don't think any running back is worth that money unless they're LT or Barry Sanders in their prime...

:2cents:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

I want Kennedy Brooks in the 5th if he is there. Averaged 7 YAC throughout his college career. Not a speedster but he can get the yards you need. Needs work in pass catching, but so do most RBs coming out of college.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Agree but they also have Felton who played little but well when he did.

I like Johnson but not willing to overpay and give up a pick for him if they tender him a second rounder.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

I like Johnson but not willing to overpay and give up a pick for him if they tender him a second rounder.
                    Agreed.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

It's being reported that Saquon Barkley could be traded for a fourth-round pick. If the Giants would pick up part of his salary, I would be very interested.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                        It's being reported that Saquon Barkley could be traded for a fourth-round pick. If the Giants would pick up part of his salary, I would be very interested.
                        A cheap one year rental for a 4rth round pick?
                        Chargers might do better just drafting a back there.

His trade value probably is lower than that.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A cheap one year rental for a 4rth round pick?
                          Chargers might do better just drafting a back there.

His trade value probably is lower than that.
                          I'm hoping Telesco spends big money on the defense in free agency, which will hopefully give us a shot at a stud right tackle in the first round and a running back like Breece Hall in the second. Taking a running back in the fourth round instead of trading for Saquon Barkley or signing another veteran isn't appealing to me. I would much rather have a motivated Saquon Barkley in the final year of his contract than what could very likely be the next Joshua Kelley.

Comment

Working...
                          X