Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chargeroo
    replied
    At the time I thought we should take the FG at the end of the half. I still think so. But I like Staley's attitude - he's building a mindset for his team. They will not be expecting to lose with him as their leader, instead, they will be expecting to win. That's a mindset that we fans need to accept to. We need to forget about the play "not to lose" attitude of the past. That's not what this team is going to be like. It may have cost us the game this time but in the long run, it's building a new attitude for the Bolts.
    This coach will trust his players, get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    2 things Staley doesn't shy away from:

1. Cancer
    2. 4th down

Our roster will be build in his image
    The last statement - it will be interesting to see what players and moves are made now that
    1 Staley has been in the role a year
    2 Knows the roster better and knows the players he wants playing his style better.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    2 things Staley doesn't shy away from:

1. Cancer
    2. 4th down

Our roster will be built in his image
    Last edited by 21&500; 12-17-2021, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

Especially not with Joshua Kelly, J.J was lighting it up or even a limp Ekeler could have done better.
    Don't even understand why the Bolts have that "dive over the pile" play in their playbook...especially with defenses coached to punch the rock out of the ball carrier's hands...Kelley was totally exposed on that play, and we paid the price...

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    I think there is a time to go on 4th and a time to take points. Should of tried a FG from the 28 and another shirt one. At least 2. Dumb decisions imo.

I think coaching got us in this one in the loss column.

I don't disagree necessarily with the first part but I don't think it's dumb at all, there is a smart plan behind his decisions.
    Staley is just so far from the norm that it's easy to second guess him.
    but I just can't complain when a coach is willing to give it to our best player and ask him to be great.
    We are forging a juggernaut
    We are all witnessing history in the making
    this is the headcoach/quarterback combo that will lead us to the elusive, "first championship"

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    I think there is a time to go on 4th and a time to take points. Should of tried a FG from the 28 and another shirt one. At least 2. Dumb decisions imo.

What I will say is this: down, distance, quarter, etc - all need to be taken into account

And I just don't like the argument that "well if a guy catches a pass, they wouldn't be in 4th down"

True - but that should have ZERO bearing on Staleys decision. That means the decision is emotional. I didn't mind actually going from the 28 - it was going from the 5 before halftime that still irks me a bit. As analytics or not, nobody would have said "Oh that Staley, he was pulling a Lynn playing not to lose." When sometimes, you just take your poison and move forward. I thought at that time, he was chasing something that he didn't need. Take the points, go in at the half after being down 10 zip up 17-10 is pretty damn good.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Now I know I'm in the minority
    I back coach Staley 100%
    we will coach and play to kill, at the cost of a few bad losses
    If it's not working by year 3, I'll re evaluate my take
    but I feel confident this approach is the future
    And we will be better for it
    At some point, we will psych opponents out before we even take the field
    we are going to crush opponents soon, trust the process

There was one attempt I didn't want to take, personally
    But I love it, keep the pressure on EVERYONE coach
    we will adjust to being a hyper aggressive team
    Year 1 fellas, boltup
    Here’s another good breakdown from a Chiefs fan. The odds are in your favor if you keep going for it in favorable 4th downs.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Now I know I'm in the minority
    I back coach Staley 100%
    we will coach and play to kill, at the cost of a few bad losses
    If it's not working by year 3, I'll re evaluate my take
    but I feel confident this approach is the future
    And we will be better for it
    At some point, we will psych opponents out before we even take the field
    we are going to crush opponents soon, trust the process

There was one attempt I didn't want to take, personally
    But I love it, keep the pressure on EVERYONE coach
    we will adjust to being a hyper aggressive team
    Year 1 fellas, boltup

Leave a comment:

• Riverwalk
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The difference is that going for it increases the chance of winning.
    sure, if you make it. If you don’t you lost 3 Points and gave the opposition a huge momentum surge.

It’s not a win/win situation based on the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Silversurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I wouldn’t have tried to run it in three times in the first drive. At least once. But not three times.
    Especially not with Joshua Kelly, J.J was lighting it up or even a limp Ekeler could have done better.

Leave a comment:

• Silversurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Aside from the decisions by Staley.. again, the inability to catch passes has been this teams biggest reason for losing games. It happens way too much.

Catch the MFIng ball or find somebody to catch the MFIng ball
    Yes! These mofos need to work on catching drills. Throw tackling and taking bad angles in there as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X