Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am still somewhat of a John Madden type. I think the big one is getting the 1st points on the board. it was the opening drive, I think making that a statement piece. You drive down running the ball down the field, then throw 4 straight passes. I would have tried to run it in 3 straight times, then kick if you don't get it, just to get points on the board quickly. Let KC know they have to stop our run, or they are going to get it all night long.

By the time it is 14-10, I get going for it then. KC is getting the ball back in the 2nd half, we have left a bunch of points on the field, we haven't controlled ball like we wanted. I think they felt like they had to have the margin, so that one I get.
    I wouldn’t have tried to run it in three times in the first drive. At least once. But not three times.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    I like going for it in some situations but I do have the feeling we are going for it too often.

I do feel the dropped passes and getting stopped on 4th down cost us this game along with Derwin gong out.
    I think we’re going for it as much as the numbers tell us to. No more. No less.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

Too funny. These dinosaurs so to speak have won Superbowls. If Staley's approach wins a superbowl, I will change my opinion about this question. I mean..last nite..so many points were left on the field...we could have won easily.

Analytics? Isn't that why Bochy left the Pads..went to SF and won World Series?
    Harbaugh won a SB, and so did Pederson/Reich as his OC. Belichick had the Goat in Tom Brady. We’ll see if he wins another ring without him.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
    Live by the gun die by the gun. I will still ride with Staley on being agressive. Were instilling a culture here but players really need to freaking execute for sure.
    We have to be the only team that can catch the ball and knock ourself out in the process "Come on man".
    I Really hope Parham is okay though.
    Aside from the decisions by Staley.. again, the inability to catch passes has been this teams biggest reason for losing games. It happens way too much.

Catch the MFIng ball or find somebody to catch the MFIng ball

Leave a comment:

• BlazingBolt
    replied
    I like going for it in some situations but I do have the feeling we are going for it too often.

I do feel the dropped passes and getting stopped on 4th down cost us this game along with Derwin gong out.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Most NFL coaches are still dinosaurs when it comes to the game. They play mostly to not lose the game. Guys like Reich, Harbaugh, and Doug Pederson were the rare exceptions.
    Too funny. These dinosaurs so to speak have won Superbowls. If Staley's approach wins a superbowl, I will change my opinion about this question. I mean..last nite..so many points were left on the field...we could have won easily.

Analytics? Isn't that why Bochy left the Pads..went to SF and won World Series?

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Staley reminds me of Kevin Costner in "The Tin Cup." On the final hole of the U.S. Open, he's leading, but hits the ball into the water. Instead of taking a penalty, he keeps hitting more balls, claiming, "I can make this shot." But each shot costs him a stroke, and he runs his total to the max of 10 balls. He ends up losing the tournament, but makes the final shot. So, he scores a personal victory, (in his mind) but ends up losing. That's Staley, only Staley didn't even make the final shot.

The difference is that going for it increases the chance of winning and has nothing to do with being stubborn like in that movie.

Leave a comment:

• Topcat
    replied
    Staley reminds me of Kevin Costner in "The Tin Cup." On the final hole of the U.S. Open, he's leading, but hits the ball into the water. Instead of taking a penalty, he keeps hitting more balls, claiming, "I can make this shot." But each shot costs him a stroke, and he runs his total to the max of 10 balls. He ends up losing the tournament, but makes the final shot. So, he scores a personal victory, (in his mind) but ends up losing. That's Staley, only Staley didn't even make the final shot.

Leave a comment:

• Silversurfer
    replied
    Live by the gun die by the gun. I will still ride with Staley on being agressive. Were instilling a culture here but players really need to freaking execute for sure.
    We have to be the only team that can catch the ball and knock ourself out in the process "Come on man".
    I Really hope Parham is okay though.

Leave a comment:

• QSmokey
    replied
    I posted a link to this article in the GameDay thread:

L.A.'s rookie head coach left a lot of points on the field by attempting fourth-down conversions instead of field goals Monday night. It may have cost his team the game, but his players love the aggressive mindset he's establishing.

Staley is trying to insure that we don't have cause to bitch about it being the "same old Chargers" anymore. He's trying to change the cesspool culture that has been keeping this team down for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    [QUOTE=Xenos;n1293205]

Thank you! We just didn’t execute. That’s the problem. Don’t stop because the results aren’t in your favor. That’s hindsight. The only thing I do wonder is if Staley should have gone for 2 on the third down to make it 22-13, a two score game given analytically it’s almost better to go for two these days.[/QUOTE]

preach!

Against Cincy I thought he screwed up twice. He got saved by an Anderson false start

I thought not going for 2 there was actually his most dubious decision. Its the Chiefs - they are pretty efficient on offense - I think higher probability of getting the 2 to tie the game at 8 than other teams. Hence, try to get the score to 8 so they are two scores down.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
    The question you have to ask. If going for it so often on 4th down especially when easy points are available or its not desperation time is good, then why aren't ALL the teams in the NFL doing it? I don't see Belichick doing it...or some of the other great coaches. Take the points.
    Most NFL coaches are still dinosaurs when it comes to the game. They play mostly to not lose the game. Guys like Reich, Harbaugh, and Doug Pederson were the rare exceptions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X