POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

LMAO - are you seriously comparing him to Keenan Allen? Wow. The dude has been cut 6 times now. Maybe that is his one trick - getting cut.
    Your analysis is awful regarding Johnson. With Herbert, Johnson had 20 receptions on only 26 targets for 398 yards (19.9 yards per reception) and 3 TDs. Johnson had great production in limited duty over 12 games last year. We know that he works well with Herbert as he already proved that last year. What he does with other teams is irrelevant, always has been.

He had more 45 yard plus plays (4) last year than our entire team has this year on just those 26 targets. Those big plays create easy scoring opportunities, which is exactly what the Staley defense tries to take away. So, one would think that we would understand that concept from the other side and try to get those big plays that are so important to Staley to prevent.

Williams and Allen have a combined 165 targets and have just a couple of those plays this year. Guyton, who also had 4 45+ yard plays last year, has zero this year.

I definitely agree that it makes no sense to add Johnson if Lombardi is too stupid to use either him or Guyton properly.

I have already seen enough to know that I would rather have Steichen calling passing plays from last year's offense than I would Lombardi calling passing plays in this year's offense. The problem with last year's offense was not the passing game, but rather Lynn's emphasis on running the ball behind the worst run blocking OL in the NFL, particularly on first down, that put us in known passing situations all too frequently. Steichen actually had a pretty good feel for calling passing plays--he just was not permitted to call enough of them, especially on first downs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your analysis is awful regarding Johnson. With Herbert, Johnson had 20 receptions on only 26 targets for 398 yards (19.9 yards per reception) and 3 TDs. Johnson had great production in limited duty over 12 games last year. We know that he works well with Herbert as he already proved that last year. What he does with other teams is irrelevant, always has been.

He had more 45 yard plus plays (4) last year than our entire team has this year on just those 26 targets. Those big plays create easy scoring opportunities, which is exactly what the Staley defense tries to take away. So, one would think that we would understand that concept from the other side and try to get those big plays that are so important to Staley to prevent.

Williams and Allen have a combined 165 targets and have just a couple of those plays this year. Guyton, who also had 4 45+ yard plays last year, has zero this year.

I definitely agree that it makes no sense to add Johnson if Lombardi is too stupid to use either him or Guyton properly.

I have already seen enough to know that I would rather have Steichen calling passing plays from last year's offense than I would Lombardi calling passing plays in this year's offense. The problem with last year's offense was not the passing game, but rather Lynn's emphasis on running the ball behind the worst run blocking OL in the NFL, particularly on first down, that put us in known passing situations all too frequently. Steichen actually had a pretty good feel for calling passing plays--he just was not permitted to call enough of them, especially on first downs.
      Another repeat post.....well bottom line is who cares! Hey if we resign him to the PS great, but the facts are he lasted here more than anywhere else and has been cut 5 times...including here.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Yep...I got the feeling Lynn was overruling Stitch a lot...in favor of running the rock up the gut for nada...and agree on Guyton...dude has the speed to get past any safety and most corners---for crying out loud, USE HIM DEEP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Another repeat post.....well bottom line is who cares! Hey if we resign him to the PS great, but the facts are he lasted here more than anywhere else and has been cut 5 times...including here.
          He may have black hair and like to listen to music in his spare time too, but that would be just as relevant as how many times he has been cut--not relevant at all.

What matters is that he works well with Herbert, especially in the deep passing game, which the team has been missing this year.

Of course, Guyton is a great deep threat also. That said, we could have Tyreek Hill on our roster and it would not matter at all if Lombardi refuses to dial up deep passing plays for him. But hey, we could keep running Allen on deep crossing routes to set up INTs and on on deep routes so that there is no separation and a tiny window for a completion.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

He may have black hair and like to listen to music in his spare time too, but that would be just as relevant as how many times he has been cut--not relevant at all.

What matters is that he works well with Herbert, especially in the deep passing game, which the team has been missing this year.

Of course, Guyton is a great deep threat also. That said, we could have Tyreek Hill on our roster and it would not matter at all if Lombardi refuses to dial up deep passing plays for him. But hey, we could keep running Allen on deep crossing routes to set up INTs and on on deep routes so that there is no separation and a tiny window for a completion.
            The reason people keep bringing up how many times he was cut is because you keep singing his praises about how good he was and how stupid the team was for cutting him in multiple threads. The reality is he was cut from those teams because he wasn't as good as other receivers on those teams were. The reality is, he is not on the roster of any team in the entire league. He isn't even on the practice squad of any team in the league. Read the article in the other thread about his trouble picking up the Jags offense as one of the reasons he was let go. Maybe a 7th team will take a flyer on him because of his speed - who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The reason people keep bringing up how many times he was cut is because you keep singing his praises about how good he was and how stupid the team was for cutting him in multiple threads. The reality is he was cut from those teams because he wasn't as good as other receivers on those teams were. The reality is, he is not on the roster of any team in the entire league. He isn't even on the practice squad of any team in the league. Read the article in the other thread about his trouble picking up the Jags offense as one of the reasons he was let go. Maybe a 7th team will take a flyer on him because of his speed - who knows.
              The only reality that matters is that Johnson worked well with Herbert and there were plays that he could understand and do well with in last year's offense. A coach is just stupid if he only knows his system and does not make adjustments to take advantage of what the players do well.

If we had Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill and ran no deep patterns for Hill, people would think our OC was an idiot. Well, our versions of that were Herbert, Guyton and Johnson. We cut Johnson and refuse to throw deep passes to Guyton. This was the most exciting explosive part of our offense last year and we have junked it. Our OC is an idiot.

And, as it turns out, after Allen, Williams and Guyton, we do not have better WRs on our roster than Johnson. Some would put Johnson ahead of Guyton.

Lombardi's system caused Stafford's results to diminish and he is repeating his history now with Herbert, who is actually a better QB now, but is being forced into making small window throws due to poor play calling and player use. It is not just me saying now either, though I have been saying it the longest.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

It just seems almost painfully obvious Lombo is not a good OC or at the very least a good fit for our QB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

The only reality that matters is that Johnson worked well with Herbert and there were plays that he could understand and do well with in last year's offense. A coach is just stupid if he only knows his system and does not make adjustments to take advantage of what the players do well.

If we had Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill and ran no deep patterns for Hill, people would think our OC was an idiot. Well, our versions of that were Herbert, Guyton and Johnson. We cut Johnson and refuse to throw deep passes to Guyton. This was the most exciting explosive part of our offense last year and we have junked it. Our OC is an idiot.

And, as it turns out, after Allen, Williams and Guyton, we do not have better WRs on our roster than Johnson. Some would put Johnson ahead of Guyton.

Lombardi's system caused Stafford's results to diminish and he is repeating his history now with Herbert, who is actually a better QB now, but is being forced into making small window throws due to poor play calling and player use. It is not just me saying now either, though I have been saying it the longest.
                  Apparently this staff is putting Palmer ahead of Guyton since he now has more receptions than him. So yes i also put Johnson ahead of Guyton but if Johnson was not picking up this offense either, then his best spot here is the PS right now , but he has since signed with the Raiders.

Now Gruden is gone but they are still running his offense so i dont expect Johnson to pick that up this season if he was having trouble with others. Took Carr 2 years to get it down. His is a pretty complex system. Maybe after this season and he is still on their roster, they will hire another HC whose system is easier. Who knows, who cares what the Raiders do.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

What happened to Mike Williams early season sucess?
                    Since when he is not performing our record sucked.

Comon Lombardi free Mike

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Apparently this staff is putting Palmer ahead of Guyton since he now has more receptions than him. So yes i also put Johnson ahead of Guyton but if Johnson was not picking up this offense either, then his best spot here is the PS right now , but he has since signed with the Raiders.

Now Gruden is gone but they are still running his offense so i dont expect Johnson to pick that up this season if he was having trouble with others. Took Carr 2 years to get it down. His is a pretty complex system. Maybe after this season and he is still on their roster, they will hire another HC whose system is easier. Who knows, who cares what the Raiders do.
                      If the Raiders are smart, they'll trot out T-billy about 3-4 times a game and just tell him, "run that go route" and have Carr chuck the rock at max level...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                        What happened to Mike Williams early season sucess?
                        Since when he is not performing our record sucked.

Come on Lombardi, free Mike
                        Yep...agree...Lombo keeps Mike Will and Guyton bottled up like poor orcas in some third-rate marine sea park:

free mikey copy.jpg
                        Last edited by Topcat; 11-19-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...agree...Lombo keeps poor Mike Will and Guyton bottled up like poor orcas in some third-rate marine sea park:

free mikey copy.jpg
                          Too Funny! Did you make that custom Pic?

:Beer1:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X