Steelers @ Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Last two times we played Pittsburgh at home we lost to them with their backup QB. It's a joke. Last time we beat them at home was in Rivers' first year as a starter.

We need this game against the Steelers more than the Vikings game. The team can take the Steelers fans out of the game the same way they did to the Raiders in week 4.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And they better win this year because the really, really BIG credit card bill is fast coming due. They will have to gut that roster and won't have the cap space or draft capital to restock it.
      Yes and no

Yes, because in the future they will have more money on their cap tied up in so called "dead money"

No, because you can really plan and allocate future spending for the next five years (spreadsheets are pretty cool - I have actually done a two year rolling cap for the Chargers myself for years but OTC.com also does it for you). They know today, what contracts they will need to shuffle next year and with Kroenkes cash, they can do it. The Rams have been excellent at playing the comp pick game so they add draft choices. And not just late rounders - but every so often a 3 or a 4 pops up. Also very good about draft picks contributing.

The Rams - with all their moves have made a Super Bowl and the playoffs. The Chargers have not been as good

So we can say "well they haven't won the big one yet or they will have future cap issues"- those are just excuses Deano and other owners want their fans to say of why they may not put all the chips on the table.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yes and no

Yes, because in the future they will have more money on their cap tied up in so called "dead money"

No, because you can really plan and allocate future spending for the next five years (spreadsheets are pretty cool - I have actually done a two year rolling cap for the Chargers myself for years but OTC.com also does it for you). They know today, what contracts they will need to shuffle next year and with Kroenkes cash, they can do it. The Rams have been excellent at playing the comp pick game so they add draft choices. And not just late rounders - but every so often a 3 or a 4 pops up. Also very good about draft picks contributing.

The Rams - with all their moves have made a Super Bowl and the playoffs. The Chargers have not been as good

So we can say "well they haven't won the big one yet or they will have future cap issues"- those are just excuses Deano and other owners want their fans to say of why they may not put all the chips on the table.
        I'm not sure it's an excuse - rather it is an observation. If they win the SB this year, and that is not unbelievable given their roster, you can make the argument about going all in this year was worth it. Regardless of what happens this year, their ability to compete in future years gets harder and harder with each of these moves. In 2022, they currently have one 5th and 2 7th round picks. They will get some compensatory picks but I'm not sure how long term the strategy of trying build a roster with low round draft picks is going to work out. Eventually, it will catch up to them. They have no first round pick in 2023 either. I'm not saying that making no moves is a great strategy (I guess we did get a kicker and returner so we did something). But if the Chargers believe that they are a year away from competing (something they would never admit publicly) than spending draft capital to make a move this year does not make sense - despite what us fans want.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I'm not sure it's an excuse - rather it is an observation. If they win the SB this year, and that is not unbelievable given their roster, you can make the argument about going all in this year was worth it. Regardless of what happens this year, their ability to compete in future years gets harder and harder with each of these moves. In 2022, they currently have one 5th and 2 7th round picks. They will get some compensatory picks but I'm not sure how long term the strategy of trying build a roster with low round draft picks is going to work out. Eventually, it will catch up to them. They have no first round pick in 2023 either. I'm not saying that making no moves is a great strategy (I guess we did get a kicker and returner so we did something). But if the Chargers believe that they are a year away from competing (something they would never admit publicly) than spending draft capital to make a move this year does not make sense - despite what us fans want.
          For the Rams - if they get to a Super Bowl - -I think its worth it - this strategy. And you are right, over time, their core group will get older and they won't have the draft picks or cap space to get younger.

I am not sure the total answer of roster construction. I just know Telesco has not been as effective as other GMs. And I get its organization just not him. But this mode of operation is not working. Now maybe Staley is the right guy to work with. Telesco has zero excuses for next year not being a good team and pushing for the division. He has a core group signed, he has cap space and draft picks.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Did Telesco or Staley say it was a 2 year plan ?

This is the first I've heard of that
            Of course not. No team would announce that to their fans. However, it's clear when you observe what the team has done this year. You can see the holes still to be filled and you can see they will have plenty of cap space to use for free agents next spring. The endless suggestions of signing other teams cast-offs now would not have filled our holes with quality players, but I can see the possibility of using the extra cap space to sign a quality DT, ROT, and CB from the free agents that will be available next season. They used that method and the draft to improve this year's OL. I expect more of the same coming next year.

As Bolt 4 Knob said, Telesco will have no excuse if we fail next season.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Yes and no

Exactly!

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                Of course not. No team would announce that to their fans. However, it's clear when you observe what the team has done this year. You can see the holes still to be filled and you can see they will have plenty of cap space to use for free agents next spring. The endless suggestions of signing other teams cast-offs now would not have filled our holes with quality players, but I can see the possibility of using the extra cap space to sign a quality DT, ROT, and CB from the free agents that will be available next season. They used that method and the draft to improve this year's OL. I expect more of the same coming next year.

As Bolt 4 Knob said, Telesco will have no excuse if we fail next season.
                TT did say in one interview in the offseason that he blamed himself for the offensive line that it would take more than one year to rebuild it (going from memory and paraphrasing what he said).

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He blamed himself for special teams, too. I think more than one off season.

I like Telesco, but I see the point in holding him accountable.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    He blamed himself for special teams, too. I think more than one off season.

I like Telesco, but I see the point in holding him accountable.

TG
                    Good reasonable post. We need more like it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

TT did say in one interview in the offseason that he blamed himself for the offensive line that it would take more than one year to rebuild it (going from memory and paraphrasing what he said).
                      He has a lot of work to do this offseason with the numbers of free agents.

RT - as I doubt Bulaga will be back
                      DT: Jones and Joseph are free agents
                      Edge: Nwosu and Fackrell are free agents
                      CB: Harris is probably not back
                      WR: what happens with MW
                      RB: more depth behind Ekeler

Granted, thats for next year - need to beat the Steelers. Hoping the offense executes like it did against Cleveland and the defense plays well better.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

For the Rams - if they get to a Super Bowl - -I think its worth it - this strategy. And you are right, over time, their core group will get older and they won't have the draft picks or cap space to get younger.

I am not sure the total answer of roster construction. I just know Telesco has not been as effective as other GMs. And I get its organization just not him. But this mode of operation is not working. Now maybe Staley is the right guy to work with. Telesco has zero excuses for next year not being a good team and pushing for the division. He has a core group signed, he has cap space and draft picks.
                        If they get a ring then it’s worth it. Getting there is not good enough if you’re going all in.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

turning the guy into a damn dink and dunk QB.

isn't that what Oregon did?

Comment

Working...
                          X