Chargers @ Bengals Pregame Discussion (wk 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Their GM> our GM
    Its just not about building a starting unit - its about the depth. I was always concerned when the depth was Norton and Pipkins with Qberry and Jaimes. Pipkins should be on the PS.

Telesco, John Boy and I presume Staley - have made the roster weaker with having three spots being taken up by Nabers, Stick and Pipkins. Jaimes is basically a red-shirt. there are too many players on the 53 that truly cannot contribute. Telesco gave his coaches a 47 man roster

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

We're 11 games in. We are who we are. And its been very visible many times this season, a team that can't hang with a tougher team.
      The defenses were Baltimore, New England, Denver, Minnesota, & Dallas. Those were the the 5 losses. Every one of those teams is going to the playoffs. We can still knock Denver out of the playoff picture.

IMO, this team can win one playoff game and that's it. It does not possess the depth on offensive line, nor in the front seven, to take us any further.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post
        I dont have faith in our defense. There is so much stuff we can look at on D. Poor drafting. Poor development. Injuries etc...Just flat out trashy play etc. Sloppy. No structure. No identity. No rhythm. Penalties seem chronic. Never really seems we can adjust and fix on the fly. Tired of wondering if we are beating ourselves or getting outcoached.

But i will say this and i do it with calm. Im not panicked. Im not throwing in the towel. Im just concerned. Im slightly less energetic about Staley than i was after we hired him. From a defensive standpoint.

I just dont like this defense right now. Dont trust it. I dont like the passion. The execution. The adjustments. I feel like we win games because Herbert has huge games. Carries the team. And while its great the D has won us a couple games with late stops after giving up a lot of points....we are bottom 5 in points allowed. This team lives and dies with Herbert. I expected better on D. Just like i expect a genius guru pastry chef to make me a really tasty dessert....i expect Staley to give me a tasty D despite all the excuses. Take the ingredients you have and give me something really tasty.

I really figured we would be one of those defenses that can overachieve with Staley at the helm. Overachieve with lesser talent even. Definitely not giving up. And i know you have to give a coach time. Im fine with that. I wonder how much Reynaldo is a part of it? I wonder if Joe Barry would have been the better choice. We tried to get him as our LB coach. Packers went with him as DC and hes done well. How much is Staley involved on D during games? Just more questions. Im tired of all the questions. Im tired of trying to diagnose this chronic Chargering illness year in and out.

I just expected a better defense based on the Defensive genius/guru hype regarding Staley. I really love hearing him talk shop. He is obviously a very bright guy. But applying it to players is sort of a challenge it would seem. Talking about the cake and making our mouths water is one thing....giving us a tasty cake? Whole different matter.

Im probably in the fire Telesco camp also. His record in the trenches is just bad. His record in general is just bad. And TTs idea of quality depth and key starting positions is pretty suspect.

I know we need to give coach time. But every year it feels like the same things. Im just down on this team right now. And im struggling to be hopefull for the future because i still feel like there is a sickness throughout this team. And at this point the only real common denominator i can think of is Telesco.

This is the big disappointment. I was expecting all of the things you mention with this guy and to this point Gus was probably better if not equal. We aren't seeing anything interesting on either side of the ball to be honest. It's just becoming a boring team. No explosive plays on either side. The one time they brought Derwin on a blitz he got home. Why don't we see that 2-3 times a game? Why isn't Murray producing for us? Where is the Bosa of Buffalo last season. Vato was better last year. The only guys who I think have improved this season are Adderley and White. And that may just be a product of their time in the league. No one else has improved.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

Go Chargers, Go. Everything to do, in order to win the division, is right in front of them. But the inconsistencies aren’t going to cut it.

As has been stated, the depth on this team sucks. The drop off is steep. Uggghhh, this is depressing.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

We're 11 games in. We are who we are. And its been very visible many times this season, a team that can't hang with a tougher team.
            We're 11 games in and I have no idea who we are. We have been in every game except at Baltimore so I'm hesitant to say we can't hang with a tougher team. I would say that we have obvious deficiencies in run defense and scoring against the tougher defensive teams. But that scoring issue against those defenses probably isn't unique to us. The problem is that we seem to squander opportunities and beat ourselves. Mentally we don't have it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This is the big disappointment. I was expecting all of the things you mention with this guy and to this point Gus was probably better if not equal. We aren't seeing anything interesting on either side of the ball to be honest. It's just becoming a boring team. No explosive plays on either side. The one time they brought Derwin on a blitz he got home. Why don't we see that 2-3 times a game? Why isn't Murray producing for us? Where is the Bosa of Buffalo last season. Vato was better last year. The only guys who I think have improved this season are Adderley and White. And that may just be a product of their time in the league. No one else has improved.
              This is the one thing -- the 3rd and long defense just cannot get off the field with any consistency. Denver was stopping 3rd and shorts (under 4 yards yesterday). Chargers had to convert on 4th down just to keep drives alive

Derwin is being wasted - he should be brought to rush as that guy will make a friggin play

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                Chargers better get tough on defense and learn how to tackle or Mixon is going to look like 2nd coming of Derrick Henry. Hopefully ASJ comes back because we will need him.
                He wont be back

Bolts 31
                Bengals 37

Burrow throws for 300, Mixon runs for 125, Chase has 3 TDs Against Campbell soup
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-29-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He wont be back

Bolts 31
                  Bengals 37

Burrow throws for 300, Mixon runs for 125, Chase has 3 TDs Against Campbells soup
                  I don't want ASJ back this year. Two concussions in a month

I think will change of those 3's to a 2
                  Bengals 37, Bolts 21

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is the one thing -- the 3rd and long defense just cannot get off the field with any consistency. Denver was stopping 3rd and shorts (under 4 yards yesterday). Chargers had to convert on 4th down just to keep drives alive

Derwin is being wasted - he should be brought to rush as that guy will make a friggin play
                    Third down efficiency - Chargers 7/14 & Broncos 8/11

Teddy & Co outperformed the Chargers offense on 3rd down.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Third down efficiency - Chargers 7/14 & Broncos 8/11

Teddy & Co outperformed the Chargers offense on 3rd down.
                      And for this season - that will be the metric that makes or break the season. The roster is the roster. So how do the chargers win

Can the offense sustain the ball enough to win games and the defense get off the field maybe one more possession per game

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post
                        I dont have faith in our defense. There is so much stuff we can look at on D. Poor drafting. Poor development. Injuries etc...Just flat out trashy play etc. Sloppy. No structure. No identity. No rhythm. Penalties seem chronic. Never really seems we can adjust and fix on the fly. Tired of wondering if we are beating ourselves or getting outcoached.

But i will say this and i do it with calm. Im not panicked. Im not throwing in the towel. Im just concerned. Im slightly less energetic about Staley than i was after we hired him. From a defensive standpoint.

I just dont like this defense right now. Dont trust it. I dont like the passion. The execution. The adjustments. I feel like we win games because Herbert has huge games. Carries the team. And while its great the D has won us a couple games with late stops after giving up a lot of points....we are bottom 5 in points allowed. This team lives and dies with Herbert. I expected better on D. Just like i expect a genius guru pastry chef to make me a really tasty dessert....i expect Staley to give me a tasty D despite all the excuses. Take the ingredients you have and give me something really tasty.

I really figured we would be one of those defenses that can overachieve with Staley at the helm. Overachieve with lesser talent even. Definitely not giving up. And i know you have to give a coach time. Im fine with that. I wonder how much Reynaldo is a part of it? I wonder if Joe Barry would have been the better choice. We tried to get him as our LB coach. Packers went with him as DC and hes done well. How much is Staley involved on D during games? Just more questions. Im tired of all the questions. Im tired of trying to diagnose this chronic Chargering illness year in and out.

I just expected a better defense based on the Defensive genius/guru hype regarding Staley. I really love hearing him talk shop. He is obviously a very bright guy. But applying it to players is sort of a challenge it would seem. Talking about the cake and making our mouths water is one thing....giving us a tasty cake? Whole different matter.

Im probably in the fire Telesco camp also. His record in the trenches is just bad. His record in general is just bad. And TTs idea of quality depth and key starting positions is pretty suspect.

I know we need to give coach time. But every year it feels like the same things. Im just down on this team right now. And im struggling to be hopefull for the future because i still feel like there is a sickness throughout this team. And at this point the only real common denominator i can think of is Telesco.

I think I agree with your assessment on how we win games. I was thinking we were best when we were like vultures happening upon some carnage and then feasting via Herbert when larger prey animals (better defenses) were absent. The problem with vulturing wins is teams adjust and if you can't/don't counter-adjust then you start losing games. I think the offense has just as many problems as the defense...lack of quality running backs, no depth on the o-line, lack of speed - also quickness - from our wide receivers, Herbert not totally comfortable in the short to intermediate passing range, and our receivers dropping balls.

And I do agree Telesco is the issue but it's kind of sad for me at least. Telesco has sort of grown on me as a friendly good dude. I feel we need to replace the guy like yesterday from a future win perspective but it hurts. Anyone else relate to that?

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And for this season - that will be the metric that makes or break the season. The roster is the roster. So how do the chargers win

Can the offense sustain the ball enough to win games and the defense get off the field maybe one more possession per game
                          There's a whole lot of truth-telling going on at Chargers HQ right now. Senio and Tillery did not play well enough, as part of a team effort, to win yesterday. Their individual play performance drug down their respective position units in a division game. Even Denver's special teams stuck it up our ass on the 1st possession, stranding Herbert at the one yard marker.

Comment

Working...
                          X