Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for keeping Lambo. He can kick off out of the end zone and that 53 yarder he made last night went right through the middle & easily could have made it from 5 - 10 yards further out.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Josh Lambo has big night, eyes NFL job
      Chargers rookie kicker: 'I'm not here to be a camp leg'

Aug. 23, 2015

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Josh Lambo could feel it.

Saturday changed everything for him.

The Chargers rookie kicker had himself a game against the Cardinals. He not only booted a 53-yard field goal as time expired in the first half. He not only continued to show strong distance on his kickoffs. Lambo, also good from 43 yards in the fourth quarter, did something to impress and endear himself to the organization, preventing preseason overtime with a 47-yard field goal as time expired in a 22-19 road win.

It was a big-time moment.

There are ramifications.

If there was any doubt before, a full-blown kicker competition has come to San Diego.

"They brought me in for a reason," said Lambo, who signed in May as an undrafted free agent from Texas A&M. "I think nights like tonight certainly help out my cause and help my stock a little bit. But I'm not here to be a camp leg. I wasn't going to go somewhere that just wanted me to save their starter. I wanted a competition because I want a job. That's my view going into it.

"I certainly didn't hurt my chances. Obviously, Nick is very accurate in his field goals. I am as well, and I proved that tonight."

Nick Novak, at one point last year, was the most accurate kicker in Chargers history.

His experience and accuracy remain proven, valued commodities. One night doesn't change that.

The two kickers have rotated reps this preseason, be it kickoffs or field goals. Novak missed an extra point Saturday, the ball clamoring off an upright. After he converted an extra point in the third quarter, he notified coaches of some tightness he felt, and coach Mike McCoy made the decision that Lambo would handle the game's remaining kicking duties, McCoy said.

Novak, who turned 34 Friday, is a steady incumbent.

He began 20-for-21 last year, poised for his third straight season with at least 90 percent efficiency. Punter and field-goal holder Mike Scifres then broke his clavicle in December, and replacement Mat Briar did not thrive in holding duties. The team was not concerned long term when he missed three of five field goals to close the season.

His kickoffs, though, were an area of needed improvement. A quiet, fiery student of his craft, Novak broke down and fine-tuned his technique this offseason, making clear strides in the area.

But now 24-year-old Lambo, a former youth soccer goalie who was mentored by USA star Tim Howard, is making a push. Along with converting all three field goals Saturday, he kicked a touchback that pushed his preseason streak to three. That streak later was snapped only when a kick 8 yards deep into the end zone was returned.

"That's what this game is all about," coach Mike McCoy said Saturday. "We've got 90 guys on the football team, and we're giving everyone an opportunity. You've got to make the most of your opportunities. In this business, they don't come around very often, and he did a nice job."

Lambo also boosted his cred in the locker room.

No one wanted to see that exhibition game go into overtime, certainly not even most on the Cardinals sideline. Chargers players thanked Lambo for preventing the 7 p.m. exhibition from running any longer; it ended at 10:15. In the process of rooting for a conclusion, they noticed how Lambo handled the situation.

He was cool under pressure.

"That was awesome," Pro Bowl gunner Darrell Stuckey said. "It's not many rookies who can go out there and make that play. ... You can't even think about how his is going to work out (between him and Novak). At the end of the day, you've got to trust your coaches' judgement. I'm pretty sure that both of them will have a job no matter what, ... especially after what Lambo just did. If he doesn't get one here, he'll get one somewhere else and vice versa.

"(We have) faith in the coaches to make that decision. As players, you're supposed to make it hard for them. That was Lambo's job coming in here."

He has.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

His field goal kicking was better than I expected ..... I think he can improve his kick offs working with the coaches on his technique
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltaction
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Trade. Novak for a draft choice and keep Lambo. The Patriots and Seahawks led the NFL in Touch backs. The Chargers with Novak kicking last year was the second worst in TBs and missed the playoffs. It's to hard on the players and causes many injuries to have to tackle every kickoff at high speeds. Novak is tradeable.

Comment

• Boltaction
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Lambo might be able to back up Scifres as the punter too with that strong leg as Scifres seems to get hurt a lot. After all he won the punt, pass, and kick contest in the USA at 10. He probably can still punt.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Josh Lambo, K, Texas AM

Name: Josh Lambo
              College: Texas AM Number: 49
              Height: 6-0 Weight: 216
              Position: K Pos2: KOS Class/Draft Year: Sr/2015
              40 Low: 5.06 40 Time: 5.16 40 High: 5.27
              Projected Round: 7-FA High: 6-7th Low: PFA Stock:
              Rated number 2 out of 38 K's 271 / 2303 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results
              Combine Invite: Yes
              Height: 6002
              Weight: 216

Pos Drills Only.

Lambo is a converted soccer player who signed a Generation adidas contract when he was just 15 and trained under U.S. National Team goalie Tim Howard at the USA Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla. He was drafted with the eighth overall pick in the 2008 MLS draft by FC Dallas, but never played in an MLS game and was waived in 2011.

He sent a training video to colleges, and Texas A&M offered him a spot. Lambo went on to become the most accurate kicker in school history.

Lambo became the Aggies' regular kicker as a junior in 2013, and went 8-for-10 on field-goal attempts and missed only one of 51 extra points.

He connected on 97 percent of his place-kicks as a senior - 12 of 14 on field goals and a perfect 53 of 53 on extra points.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Good athlete; soccer background shows in strenghth/accuracy combo of his kicking. Good physical size.

WEAKNESSES: Older prospect who enters NFL at 24. Only 25 field-goal attempts over two seasons and kicked off just twice last season, although has leg strength to improve in that area.

2014 Season

Connected on an amazing 97.0 percent of all his placekicks -- 12-of-14 on field goals and 53-of-53 on extra points ... enters bowl game with streak of 103 successful extra point tries ... increased his career long twice in 2014 -- first with a 47-yarder vs. Rice and then with a 50-yarder vs. SMU ... his career field goal percentage of 83.3 percent is on pace to make him the most accurate placekicker in school history (current record is 78.8 by Randy Bullock from 2008-11) ... matched the school record of 10 PATs by hitting 10-of-10 vs. Lamar.

2013 Season

Became a regular as the Aggies? placekicker during the SMU game (Sept. 21) when he nailed a 40-yard field goal ? went 8-for-10 on the year in field goals, including three 40-plus-yard kicks, and was 50-for-51 in PATs ? was given the game ball after the Ole Miss game (Oct. 12) where he scored the game-winning field goal from 33 yards as time expired ? longest kick of his career was a 45-yard field goal against Duke (Dec. 31) ... named to the 2013 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll.

2012 Season

Saw action against South Carolina State (Sept. 22) and at Auburn (Oct. 27) ... Kicked the first extra point of his career against SCSU, and added a second against the Tigers Athletic history: Signed a Generation Adidas contract to live and train in Bradenton, Fla., for early entry into Major League Soccer ? trained under USMNT keeper Tim Howard during Everton?s U.S. tour in 2006... played for the U.S. U-17 team from 2005-2007 ? drafted eighth overall by FC Dallas in the 2008 MLS Draft, where he played in the reserve division? started three games and played in seven before breaking his jaw? acquired by FC Tampa Bay in the 2010 MLS Superdraft ? started in six games, including a 2-1 victory over the Carolina RailHawks in his MLS debut ? waived by Dallas in 2011 ... transferred to Texas A&M from Collin College.

Personal

Joshua Lambo and his wife, Amy, live in College Station, Texas ... Lambo is the son of Irene Lambo ... born Nov. 19, 1990 ... agricultural leadership and development major.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
                Lambo might be able to back up Scifres as the punter too with that strong leg as Scifres seems to get hurt a lot. After all he won the punt, pass, and kick contest in the USA at 10. He probably can still punt.
                Did not know about the PPK, that's cool......why the hell didn't McCoy have him punt later in the game when Scifres was obviously hurting?

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Lambo quote

"One thing I like about my game is all of my kicks have a chance," he said. "I can't ever remember shanking a field goal, in practice or in a game. I feel like I hit a really true ball."

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

LAMBO: First Blood
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Lambo: Live for nothing or die for something!!!

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Lambo quote

"One thing I like about my game is all of my kicks have a chance," he said. "I can't ever remember shanking a field goal, in practice or in a game. I feel like I hit a really true ball."
                        Novak doesn't miss many, but a few of the ones he does hit, just make you wonder. Lambo has a chance if he can kick some decent FG the next 2 games. He has to be consistent in practice as well. But Novak is a bit older and while I don't read anything into the mixed EP, he has always had some misses in his career that just make you wonder. But the FG accuracy will make or break it.

Nobody is going to trade for Novak. There are several other decent kicking competitions this season, so teams will take a chance they can get one of those guys (or Novak). But no GM wants to give up any draft pick. The only hope for a trade is a player for player. Someone who might not make their roster for our kicker who won't make it (providing Lambo keeps it up).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Novak doesn't miss many, but a few of the ones he does hit, just make you wonder. Lambo has a chance if he can kick some decent FG the next 2 games. He has to be consistent in practice as well. But Novak is a bit older and while I don't read anything into the mixed EP, he has always had some misses in his career that just make you wonder. But the FG accuracy will make or break it.

Nobody is going to trade for Novak. There are several other decent kicking competitions this season, so teams will take a chance they can get one of those guys (or Novak). But no GM wants to give up any draft pick. The only hope for a trade is a player for player. Someone who might not make their roster for our kicker who won't make it (providing Lambo keeps it up).
                          Also, let's not overlook that Novak missed a God damn EXTRA POINT try last night.

Comment

Working...
                          X