• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

The PATs aren't exactly gimmes any more.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

One game means nothing (especially for kickers). You can just as easily argue that Novak missed the one extra point that will probably get missed by all the AFC West kickers all year (and it probably will be).

Kicking is about consistency, and that means doing it over and over again the same way. Lambo is not quite there by NFL standards. 21 of 25 in college is not exactly lighting the world on fire, especially since a college ball is easier to kick (bigger sweet spot).

The real thing is how much has he improved with NFL coaching and NFL LS and holder. Those things can all help a young kicker.

The big thing to not forget about Novak is that a 90% career kicker. He has that consistency and has made a ton of 50+ yard FG in his career. You still have to consider his body of work. But he is also 34 (it took him a long time to develop) and how has his body of work been in camp. We will just have to see. No point in making a move yet.
      Last edited by Steve; 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        One game means nothing (especially for kickers). You can just as easily argue that Novak missed the one extra point that will probably get missed by all the AFC West kickers all year (and it probably will be).

Kicking is about consistency, and that means doing it over and over again the same way. Lambo is not quite there by NFL standards. 21 of 25 in college is not exactly lighting the world on fire, especially since a college ball is easier to kick (bigger sweet spot).

The real thing is how much has he improved with NFL coaching and NFL LS and holder. Those things can all help a young kicker.

The big thing to not forget about Novak is that a 90% career kicker. He has that consistency and has made a ton of 50+ yard FG in his career. You still have to consider his body of work. But he is also 34 (it took him a long time to develop) and how has his body of work been in camp. We will just have to see. No point in making a move yet.
        Not sure college that's mean that much caught seems most kickers in college don't put up great numbers Gotzkowski was 22 for 25 in his senior year with Memphis in conference USA
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I'm not sure it does either, but at this point, that is what Lambo has as a body of work.

I had originally thought Lambo was being brought in, he would fail against Novak and then come back next year, wiser, more experienced and with a year to really focus, and be able to challenge. Now, there is no way that happens. He will get signed by someone if he doesn't make our roster. Maybe not right away, but by the end of the year, someone will.

So the additional part of the equation is going to be how long will Novak last? Novak has done really well, but the few times I have seen him before he came back, he had some really bizarre kicks (for Dallas and DC). And it is not like he would be out of work. If he gets cut, Novak will be unemployed only as long as it is for him, his agent and wife to figure out where they want his career to continue.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

I'd keep him just for the kickoffs. Big improvement in field position and it saves possible injuries on special teams.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The team has a good idea about his abilities from training camp. The fact that he hit the money shots yesterday means "risk" has been burned down.

Risk: That thing people use to justify what they want or don't want to do already.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'm not sure it does either, but at this point, that is what Lambo has as a body of work.

I had originally thought Lambo was being brought in, he would fail against Novak and then come back next year, wiser, more experienced and with a year to really focus, and be able to challenge. Now, there is no way that happens. He will get signed by someone if he doesn't make our roster. Maybe not right away, but by the end of the year, someone will.

So the additional part of the equation is going to be how long will Novak last? Novak has done really well, but the few times I have seen him before he came back, he had some really bizarre kicks (for Dallas and DC). And it is not like he would be out of work. If he gets cut, Novak will be unemployed only as long as it is for him, his agent and wife to figure out where they want his career to continue.
                could depend on the injury he sustained...lower leg injuries for kickers ..not good,,.....speaking of which....Hammys for punters are not good either...

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  The team has a good idea about his abilities from training camp. The fact that he hit the money shots yesterday means "risk" has been burned down.

Risk: That thing people use to justify what they want or don't want to do already.

money shot? really..this is a family forum

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

It wasn't just that he hit them, he hit them dead center. And from what I've seen, teams don't cut outstanding natural talent that is near ready to be on the team. And he suffers from no loss of confidence in himself, that's big for kickers.

We'll see what happens in the next two games, but he looks to have a great shot of making this team. The argument in the end may turn out to be whether or not to keep Novak too.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 14h14 hours ago

Cardinals field goal ties game with 2:51 left. Whichever 4th stringer prevents overtime tonight should make the team.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma
                        • Send PM

Novak: job status in Lambo

Comment

• TABF
                          Por debajo del promedio
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoCal
                          • Send PM

I think he has been a topic of real conversation at camp. Last night just made it a very serious conversation...

Comment

Working...
                          X